Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I find it absolutely gob smacking that this guy is anywhere near worth 12m Jesus him and McCormack almost 30m bloody outrageous 

Eh? Jesus alone was £30m and while he's a great player I'm not sure he'd have turned down working with Pep for Bruce. 

Wierd comparison. 

I find it really difficult to make any judgement on Hogan. Whenever he gets the ball in a decent area most of the time he looks like a pretty sharp player. However it's happened so few times since he's been here it's difficult to draw any conclusions. 

I think all you can say is it hasn't worked out and doesn't look like its going to. He's literally only ever looked like a decent player with OHare playing behind him. And I think that's a combination which is roughly plan T in the Bruce playbook. 

A lot of money poorly spent. Again...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Eh? Jesus alone was £30m and while he's a great player I'm not sure he'd have turned down working with Pep for Bruce. 

Wierd comparison. 

I find it really difficult to make any judgement on Hogan. Whenever he gets the ball in a decent area most of the time he looks like a pretty sharp player. However it's happened so few times since he's been here it's difficult to draw any conclusions. 

I think all you can say is it hasn't worked out and doesn't look like its going to. He's literally only ever looked like a decent player with OHare playing behind him. And I think that's a combination which is roughly plan T in the Bruce playbook. 

A lot of money poorly spent. Again...

Lol this is the funniest thing without you even trying to be funny I meant the expression Jesus not the player :crylaugh::clap::clap:

brilliant

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's an all round calamity. I will always maintain that this horrific manager will never get the best out of a player who can score goals at this level. Scott for his own part has not done enough by looking so poor with the scraps he has had. He looks mentally shot and has to take a lot of the blame for that himself.

Never in a million years was he worth what we paid, in fact no player at this level is worth that. We got burned very badly and it was Bruce who decided to take that plunge, signing a limited player that he had no plan for. Just shocking all the way through.

Let's be honest, this just isn't going to work out is it?

Players that have outclassed him up front so far this season:

• Davis
  • Kodjia
  • RHM
  • Samba

Perhaps it would be wise to try and cash in on him next month. Admittedly, we probably wouldn't even get back half of what we paid for him.

There was a moment at around the 60-65th minute that I think summed it up quite well, at the time I thought I wish I could make a gif of it. Hogan dropped back in the middle of their half and made himself available - Hutton who had the ball Huttons it to him, it was more or less a shot or a clearence in chest height that Hogan tried to control, but had no chance.

I think Hogan is getting too much stick, he isn't a hold up player, he's a lurker who makes sprints behind the defence. Except to a certain extent Snodgrass we do not have any players who can pick out those passes. Nor do we have a style of play where we pass the ball around looking to unlock the defence, where the players know what to do when a team mate has the ball and paitiently trying to find a through ball. We are a defensively drilled team that hoofes the ball and relies on an individual performance by two or three players. I think Hogan can be compared with Darren Bent. He was great for us in a team that was playing well and creating chances, with Young, Downing, Milner etc, but when they left he looked lost. I was surprised by Hogan's price tag, seemed far too much, but I still think he can be a good player for us, that would require us to radically change our playing style and having more good passers in midfield though...  

One thing I will say when comparing him to RHM was that the game was much more open when RHM came on and therefore he was able to get the ball more. However, when RHM got it then he did more with it. Whereas I counted maybe twice where Hogan controlled it and made a good pass.

Genuine question: Do we think Jermaine Defoe played up front on his own would score goals in this villa team under Bruce? A couple of potshots from outside the area perhaps but certainly not as much as his talent and previous record should warrant.

My answer would be no. That wouldn't make me question if Defoe is good at scoring goals. We know he is. 

I don't mean to be insulting to Defoe, a player who is one of the top scorers of all time in the premier league, with Hogan who has only scored 20 goals at championship level but I also don't think it is wrong to say that they are a similar type of striker.

I am still refusing to believe Hogan is a poor player who now can't offer as much as RHM. Bare in mind RHM came into the game full of confidence with no previous frustrations. 

Im not saying Hogan is blameless. He needs to search within himself to turn his career around. But he will keep running into the brick wall that is Steve Bruce. He is the one who is the gate keeper of Hogans desperation to be a Holte hero at Villa.

Maybe we should email Dean Smith and ask him what he thinks of Hogan. A couple of sentences from him and we would be reassured I'm sure.

Im keeping my perspective on the Hogan situation until he no longer plays under Steve Bruce.

• Like 1

I know theres a good goalscorer in there so I hope we don't sell him, but if he wants to go then loan him back to Brentford or something.

Hopefully next season when we have a new manager he will will shine. 

I honestly don't think it was Bruces decision to sign him, if the plan is for the midfielders to pass back to the defenders to pass back to the keeper to launch it to the striker, then Bruce would have purchased a 6'5 striker not a 5'6 one. 

Hogan would have been nowhere near that cross that leas to the goal. He has poor positioning, poor anticipation and such low level of understanding of how his team mates play. In fact the closest he has been to a goal was him blocking a goal from hourihane.

Id sell him. If wr can get 7m for him let him go. Even McCormack did more.

Hogan is totally wasted at Villa. 

Our style of play does not suit his strengths.

Hoofing it up to him expecting him to hold the ball up is laughable. Whipping in floaters to him is utterly pointless.

Hogan needs the midfield to move the ball about then slot a ball through the defence or dink the ball over the top. Sadly there isn’t a player at the club that can do this which is a truly worrying and shameful.

Id cash in on Hogan unless the team can work on providing to his strengths. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm amazed people are still blaming the service to him. 

Every other striker and even samba has managed to look better with the same service. 

The excuses made for what are quite simply abysmal performances are pretty weak 

Our top scoring striker in the league has 2 goals

Service is a huge problem

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sonic_bouma said:

Genuine question: Do we think Jermaine Defoe played up front on his own would score goals in this villa team under Bruce? A couple of potshots from outside the area perhaps but certainly not as much as his talent and previous record should warrant.

My answer would be no. That wouldn't make me question if Defoe is good at scoring goals. We know he is. 

I don't mean to be insulting to Defoe, a player who is one of the top scorers of all time in the premier league, with Hogan who has only scored 20 goals at championship level but I also don't think it is wrong to say that they are a similar type of striker.

I am still refusing to believe Hogan is a poor player who now can't offer as much as RHM. Bare in mind RHM came into the game full of confidence with no previous frustrations. 

Im not saying Hogan is blameless. He needs to search within himself to turn his career around. But he will keep running into the brick wall that is Steve Bruce. He is the one who is the gate keeper of Hogans desperation to be a Holte hero at Villa.

Maybe we should email Dean Smith and ask him what he thinks of Hogan. A couple of sentences from him and we would be reassured I'm sure.

Im keeping my perspective on the Hogan situation until he no longer plays under Steve Bruce.

Jermaine Defoe in this team would show Hogan up as the shit player he really is. 

The excuses for Hogan are getting silly now. 

He’s not very good. 

If we have to change our entire system and build our team around him for him to have a chance at looking confident, then to me that just proves he’s shit. 

• Thanks 1

I defended him on countless occasions but its becoming more and more difficult. 

Our style of play is rubbish and he gets next to no service but i still think he should be offering more. 

He may well be successful at another club but I'm beginning to doubt we will ever see the striker we thought we signed in Claret and Blue. Might be best for both parties to move him on. 

A few weeks back i layed the blame solely at Bruces door, now i think its a bit both.

Bruce's style of play will never get the best out of the kid so he deserves some flak for signing him in the first place and then failing to get the best out of him.

Hogan deserves an equal amount of flak for not being willing or good enough to adjust to a different (albeit sh#t) style of football. 

Â