Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, meregreen said:

An excellent player, with a first rate career scoring record. Misused and played intermittently. In a team that plays good football he will thrive. In a team that plays hoof ball he won’t.

Far from an excellent player but he’s not bad in a team that plays to his strengths . Not sure it will happen for him at villa now though and we will get a pittance of what we bought him for 

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

The latest in a long line of players who come with a decent record and a promising future, before dying a horrible death in our shirt. What's worse is that some leave and instantly rediscover their form. 

There could be an argument that if you want to not piss the £12m down the drain get in dean smith and he will thrive under him .

i was against the idea of smith but now I’d take him over Bruce like a shot 

I know Bruce can be blamed for a lot of things, but he gets way too much stick for Scott Hogan's performances. 

He's a crap striker. He's shown absolutely nothing in a Villa shirt.

I'd love him to come good, but he won't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know Bruce can be blamed for a lot of things, but he gets way too much stick for Scott Hogan's performances. 

I think he is another good example of how unprepared and directionless the club are. 

I may be wrong but to me it stinks of us  exhausting all possible striker options last January so lead to a last minute desperate signing of a player that was currently scoring goals without any consideration of how a player would fit in to a team or club and the financial consequences of the move did it not work out. 

Now I admit at the time I would rather we had signed Hogan than no striker at all. But then as a fan all I can go on are a few YouTube videos of his goals.

Surely the club should be doing much more research on a player before parting with 13 million for him when on the verge of breaching FFP and affectively spending most of the summer budget on him. 

Its crazy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Brentford played to his strengths  and he thrived - Not sure why we bought him if we were going to use him in a totally different style of play 

• Like 1

For me this defines Bruce’s reign. Sign a striker for £12m and literally play no strikers when your £12m striker is your only option? Such an unbelievable waste of money.

Him and McCormack for £24m is something I will never be able to get over.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

For me this defines Bruce’s reign. Sign a striker for £12m and literally play no strikers when your £12m striker is your only option? Such an unbelievable waste of money.

Him and McCormack for £24m is something I will never be able to get over.

The club gambled big on strikers but won't gamble on a manager change. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he is another good example of how unprepared and directionless the club are. 

I may be wrong but to me it stinks of us  exhausting all possible striker options last January so lead to a last minute desperate signing of a player that was currently scoring goals without any consideration of how a player would fit in to a team or club and the financial consequences of the move did it not work out. 

Now I admit at the time I would rather we had signed Hogan than no striker at all. But then as a fan all I can go on are a few YouTube videos of his goals.

Surely the club should be doing much more research on a player before parting with 13 million for him when on the verge of breaching FFP and affectively spending most of the summer budget on him. 

Its crazy. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Brentford played to his strengths  and he thrived - Not sure why we bought him if we were going to use him in a totally different style of play 

I don’t necessarily disagree with either of these posts. 

But Bruce seems to get the blame from a lot of posters for Hogan’s performances. 

But the guy is shit. It’s not like he’s shown flashes of talent and we’re rigidly sticking to a system that doesn’t suit him. 

Hes shown absolutely nothing. A good striker playing in an unfamiliar setup would still show flashes of what he can do. Hogan hasn’t. 

I don’t necessarily believe he’s be as good as some people think he would if we started playing in a way that he would thrive. 

And I certainly don’t think he’s worth the risk of changing our entire setup just because of that. 

Again I hope he come good, but he probably won’t. He’s crap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The club gambled big on strikers but won't gamble on a manager change. 

I have a sneaky feeling, its not far off.....no basis, just a sneaky feeling.

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

His confidence is shot to bits - needs to score a few goals for someone and regain it - won’t happen for him at villa under Bruce 

He doesn't even look like scoring or Gabby.

They both lack the body language that suggests they have a chance if scoring.....never mind actually doing it.

Just now, TRO said:

He doesn't even look like scoring or Gabby.

They both lack the body language that suggests they have a chance if scoring.....never mind actually doing it.

Add to that Davis with 12 games  without a goal and it’s a pretty desperate state 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with either of these posts. 

But Bruce seems to get the blame from a lot of posters for Hogan’s performances. 

But the guy is shit. It’s not like he’s shown flashes of talent and we’re rigidly sticking to a system that doesn’t suit him. 

Hes shown absolutely nothing. A good striker playing in an unfamiliar setup would still show flashes of what he can do. Hogan hasn’t. 

I don’t necessarily believe he’s be as good as some people think he would if we started playing in a way that he would thrive. 

And I certainly don’t think he’s worth the risk of changing our entire setup just because of that. 

Again I hope he come good, but he probably won’t. He’s crap. 

Saw glimpses of a player last season before he got injured. He was picking the ball up and running at players. 

I do think a lot of it is down to confidence but there is only so long you can wait for a player to actually start looking like a player again.

I think we need to cut our losses on him because at the moment it hinders the team whenever he is on th pitch. 

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Add to that Davis with 12 games  without a goal and it’s a pretty desperate state 

I am not as convinced about Davis as some.....I understand the young bit, but for me, he has dipped a bit and showing no signs of even recovering his initial form......I hope i am wrong and wish him well.

I understand that young players form is peaks and troughs, but i watch him carefully and see no evidence of work on his game, he is still getting beaten by average centre halves too regularly......he is slow to move in to dangerous area,s or play on the shoulder to the last CM even to make himself a nuisance.

He seems to have drifted in to this Villa Park lethargy, that has engulfed this club for years.

• Like 1

Â