Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Disagree. Bruce is solely responsible for the way we setup, which doesn't suit Hogan at all, as we know.

Then again it's an altogether different issue, should we change the way we play, just to suit one player...

Dunno about you, but I'd like to see us try it once at least. Bench all the grafters, play all the footballers. Play a possession game. Play through the middle. Keep the ball. Press high when we loose it. It's not rocket science, but it does entail Bruce can't play all of Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton, Davis, et.al.

Yeah i wouldn't be against it. 

Bruce is soley responsible for the way we set up but Hogan also doesn't do enough. To just blame the system excuses hogan for his failure to do some of the most basic things. 

29 minutes ago, omariqy said:

And the other one he scored albeit he was just offside. The way he finished that shows you what he has. 

What about when he missed great chances at the start of our season? What did that show? I've seen him miss more real chances that finish offside chances.

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

I disagree and so do many others I have spoken to today. He was very lively and even the commentators mentioned he seemed up for it. 

I’d be up for it if I was playing up front for Villa. I’d still be shit though. 

I get that the system isn’t ideal, but the guy needs to show something when he plays. Once again he showed nothing. 

But credit for the assist. A good cross. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vreitti said:

Disagree. Bruce is solely responsible for the way we setup, which doesn't suit Hogan at all, as we know.

Then again it's an altogether different issue, should we change the way we play, just to suit one player...

Dunno about you, but I'd like to see us try it once at least. Bench all the grafters, play all the footballers. Play a possession game. Play through the middle. Keep the ball. Press high when we loose it. It's not rocket science, but it does entail Bruce can't play all of Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton, Davis, et.al.

I think I've switched sides on this one. I was very much of the opinion before that you don't change the whole system to fit one player. But then, at that time, the system was working okay and we were winning and drawing instead of losing and drawing. Now I struggle to see us scoring a goal in open play (I know we did yesterday, but we didn't look like doing so before or after) so we need to alter the way we play anyway. 

I think it's all irrelevant, as I suspect Bruce will be sacked by this time next week. 

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

What about when he missed great chances at the start of our season? What did that show? I've seen him miss more real chances that finish offside chances.

He missed what 2 or 3 chances? I don't know any striker that doesn't miss chances. He also scored 3 goals in that same period. He hasn't had many clear cut chances since.

• Like 1

Bottom line is that he is isolated and the service is not good enough. The offside goal was IMO vintage Hogan, playing off the last man and for once Grealish played a good through ball. Doing that far more often would see Hogan get a lot more goals. He simply does not get enough of that service, anyone with a pair of eyes will see that he is often making that sort of run but he is just not getting picked out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bottom line is that he is isolated and the service is not good enough. The offside goal was IMO vintage Hogan, playing off the last man and for once Grealish played a good through ball. Doing that far more often would see Hogan get a lot more goals. He simply does not get enough of that service, anyone with a pair of eyes will see that he is often making that sort of run but he is just not getting picked out.

His movement is too good for our team 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think I've switched sides on this one. I was very much of the opinion before that you don't change the whole system to fit one player. But then, at that time, the system was working okay and we were winning and drawing instead of losing and drawing. Now I struggle to see us scoring a goal in open play (I know we did yesterday, but we didn't look like doing so before or after) so we need to alter the way we play anyway. 

I think it's all irrelevant, as I suspect Bruce will be sacked by this time next week. 

I do too....more along the lines of I thinks its inevitable.

If i was a betting man.....I think the likelihood is we will drop as opposed to clamber back.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think I am dizzy,.............with our games.

I'd keep playing Hogan and Grealish together. We can't expect a partnership to form after 1 match, and so far Davis hasn't worked. Might as well give Hogan a few matches with Grealish under him, and see if that makes anything happen. If not, we have to sign a new striker asap. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This has been one of the most annoying myths i've seen continually put forward. Right up there with kozak being a natural scorer. 

Hogan is possibly a great foil for Grealish as both have that ability to find space - they could link well together , only a whisker offside last night and he also created a goal whilst working off scraps most of the night . 

He needs to start scoring again and his confidence will return but he did enough last night to keep his place 

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even the commentators were going on about how pissed off he must be because all he has to feed off is scraps.

That being said, him and Grealish are good together.

Both have good vision and intelligence.

Add Hourihane and Lansbury to the mix and we just might play football again, for a change.

• Like 1

Hogan will provide us with much more threat than Davis ever will. Both however feed off scraps because Bruce insists on playing long ball one man up front football. Davis can't finish and clearly isn't a striker. Hogan needs balls on the floor, feeding off through balls and is a one touch finisher (won't take players on like Kodjia for example) but we only have Grealish (just back from injury) and Hourihane (constantly dropped for no reason or played in wrong position) who can do that. Neither will have success with our current set up.

Hogan is getting a rough ride due to tactics, injuries, confidence and the fact he's not "one of our own". Neither is Davis but people forget that because he's young but there is a massive gulf in ability. Hogan may never succeed here but at least he has the POTENTIAL too.

Play Hogan with Grealish and Houihane for a sustained period and he'll score a few goals for us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Hogan will provide us with much more threat than Davis ever will. Both however feed off scraps because Bruce insists on playing long ball one man up front football. Davis can't finish and clearly isn't a striker. Hogan needs balls on the floor, feeding off through balls and is a one touch finisher (won't take players on like Kodjia for example) but we only have Grealish (just back from injury) and Hourihane (constantly dropped for no reason or played in wrong position) who can do that. Neither will have success with our current set up.

Hogan is getting a rough ride due to tactics, injuries, confidence and the fact he's not "one of our own". Neither is Davis but people forget that because he's young but there is a massive gulf in ability. Hogan may never succeed here but at least he has the POTENTIAL too.

Play Hogan with Grealish and Houihane for a sustained period and he'll score a few goals for us.

Agree with this apart from Hourihane being able to 'feed through balls', he really can't do this, as shown time and time again here. 

Â