Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not as convinced about Davis as some.....I understand the young bit, but for me, he has dipped a bit and showing no signs of even recovering his initial form......I hope i am wrong and wish him well.

I understand that young players form is peaks and troughs, but i watch him carefully and see no evidence of work on his game, he is still getting beaten by average centre halves too regularly......he is slow to move in to dangerous area,s or play on the shoulder to the last CM even to make himself a nuisance.

He seems to have drifted in to this Villa Park lethargy, that has engulfed this club for years.

Yet he looked 10 times more effective than Gabby and Hogan put together. 

We have a striker crisis. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yet he looked 10 times more effective than Gabby and Hogan put together. 

We have a striker crisis. 

Not arguing with that......except for how many times better;)

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do too. It was something about that reaction from the crowd yesterday. 

I'm not sure if you were at the game or if it's something that came over on TV, but there really wasn't much of a reaction from the crowd yesterday at all.

...and just to keep us on topic - 4 starts, 12 substitute appearances, 0 goals for Hogan in the league this season. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure if you were at the game or if it's something that came over on TV, but there really wasn't much of a reaction from the crowd yesterday at all.

...and just to keep us on topic - 4 starts, 12 substitute appearances, 0 goals for Hogan in the league this season. 

On TV there appeared to be a period of massive booing whenever we passed he ball backwards. I'm not talking groans, I'm talking the kind of booing that home teams do when away teams have possession. Even the commentator commented on it. 

But as many who were at the game didn't notice it I guess it must just have been the tv making it seem worse than it was. 

To keep it on topic. Hogan out!! 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But as many who were at the game didn't notice it I guess it must just have been the tv making it seem worse than it was. 

As daft as this might sound, sometimes where you're sat in a ground means that you get a false view of noise, equally that's true of wherever TV happens to put the microphones - there were a couple of decent boos for back passes, but nothing out of the ordinary from where I parked my fat bum.

With Hogan, I'm not sure what we do, he needs confidence in order for us to see if he's capable but I'm not sure we can afford to loan him out - he's in a bit of a pickle - it's kinda down to him now.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On TV there appeared to be a period of massive booing whenever we passed he ball backwards. I'm not talking groans, I'm talking the kind of booing that home teams do when away teams have possession. Even the commentator commented on it. 

We have 5 strikers to start the season with.....Only one of those players has shown he can score goals for us......absolute bonkers, to start a promotion season with that kind of preparation.

That alone should require an internal inquiry.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Only way Hogan is going to improve for us is if he gets a run of games to rebuild his confidence, cameos here and there won't work and never does, also we need to play on the ground and forwards not backwards.

Do we have a run of games to allow him to bed in, well no, not when we aren't scoring goals or winning and everyone is screaming blood and not when our in game tactics always revert to hoofball when things aren't going our way if not from the start.

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Only way Hogan is going to improve for us is if he gets a run of games to rebuild his confidence, cameos here and there won't work and never does, also we need to play on the ground and forwards not backwards.

Do we have a run of games to allow him to bed in, well no, not when we aren't scoring goals or winning and everyone is screaming blood and not when our in game tactics always revert to hoofball when things aren't going our way if not from the start.

But you should not have to draw up rehabilitation plans for a £15 mill striker at this level.

you would expect them to adapt.

He's a £15 m player only in the sense we decided to pay that for him.

Even in this inflated market he's at best worth half that quality wise. And in reality he's comparable to players you can get for less than half that again from abroad.

He's a Championship level striker, to expect him to be able to adapt to different roles and be an all round complete player is naive.

Just because we paid over the top, doesn't make him better than he is.

He could do a job, he won't be able to do an entirely different job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We have 5 strikers to start the season with.....Only one of those players has shown he can score goals for us......absolute bonkers, to start a promotion season with that kind of preparation.

That alone should require an internal inquiry.

Add to that only 1 centre half you can expect to be able to play the whole season and only one left back in the whole squad. 

The whole thing is a shambles and embarrassing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wasn't booing, but there were definite groans of frustration from large parts of the crowd every time we passed the ball backwards.

Personally I think it's absolute, moronic behaviour. As if passing the ball backwards and recycling possession is a bad thing. I'm sure the crowd would have been really understanding if we forced a pass forward and lost the ball.

Our movement is poor, but the constant shouts to just pump the ball forward at every opportunity is so stupid. Probably the same people complaining the Bruce is too direct and we shoul dkeep the ball more

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn't booing, but there were definite groans of frustration from large parts of the crowd every time we passed the ball backwards.

Personally I think it's absolute, moronic behaviour. As if passing the ball backwards and recycling possession is a bad thing. I'm sure the crowd would have been really understanding if we forced a pass forward and lost the ball.

Our movement is poor, but the constant shouts to just pump the ball forward at every opportunity is so stupid. Probably the same people complaining the Bruce is too direct and we shoul dkeep the ball more

Sometimes I wonder whether our fans could actually stomach us playing a more expansive game. Probably not.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

fair enough. On TV it sounded really bad. As I said I've never heard anything like it. But it sounds like it sounded much worse on tv than actually was. 

For what it's worth I agree it does more harm than good. Because as you say the irony of it is it makes the player pump it forward rather than just keep the ball. One of the biggest criticisms of the team. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

fair enough. On TV it sounded really bad. As I said I've never heard anything like it. But it sounds like it sounded much worse on tv than actually was. 

For what it's worth I agree it does more harm than good. Because as you say the irony of it is it makes the player pump it forward rather than just keep the ball. One of the biggest criticisms of the team. 

Exactly. It's so **** stupid I can't even comprehend it.

I get the odd occasion a bad decision will be made and the ball will go backwards when it shouldn't have. Whelan did one yesterday. Fair enough.

But every time we passed the ball backwards yesterday it was getting moans and groans. People were livid. It's mental.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

From the tv perspective it all came from a moment where Whelan, after pointing to whoever had the ball to pass back  found himself in space and immediately passed it 30 yards back as soon as the ball came to him. So concerned with getting the ball backwards he had no awareness of what was round him and no intention to even think about moving the ball forward. It was incredibly frustrating to see and i understood the anger. Unfortunately, that changed the mood and then the groans and moans came out for actually keeping the ball well at times. 

Time to give hogan a extended run. Davis has had more than enough starts compared to hogan and delivered two goals. Hogan vs his old side let's throw him in the lions den see how he gets on. Him and gabby up top something different. 

Â