Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Must admit, I must have missed most of those, I saw him get into good positions but more often than not fail to deliver. I like Grealish, but clear to me that Bruce isn't getting the best out of him at all.

He put 2 fantastic balls in the second half, one where no one bothered to attack and the 2nd snodgrass didn't react quicker. 

Compared to the rest he looked more dangerous. 

On 12/24/2017 at 15:46, Vive_La_Villa said:

fair enough. On TV it sounded really bad. As I said I've never heard anything like it. But it sounds like it sounded much worse on tv than actually was. 

For what it's worth I agree it does more harm than good. Because as you say the irony of it is it makes the player pump it forward rather than just keep the ball. One of the biggest criticisms of the team. 

They don't play it forward, because no one is in a position to receive it.

there is a very low appreciation of making yourself available for the ball in the offensive positions......just one of the many reasons why we get closed down and caught on the ball so easily.

I think he has just beaten Gabbys record of least touches in a half. No fault of his own though as I can't remember one ball played into his feet or one ball played in behind for him to run onto. A fair few balls played high into the air up to him though.

He is not a lone striker but if you are going to play him in that role then at least give the lad a chance by playing balls that he has some chance of doing something with. He must so pissed off and frustrated.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I know I have defended him in the past but I thought he was pretty poor today. Then again some of the balls played to him, oh my word. Hutton drilled it to his bed from about 10 yards and then the next time hit it about 40 yards ahead of him. RHM showed what you can do with shit football being played around you though.

Without doubt he's not suited to Bruce ball but if I was him id find it concerning that a kid who on the face of it is a similar style player would have more impact in 10 mins than I did in 80. 

He basically never gets the ball. Which is really confusing but I'm at the stage of blaming him for that as much as Bruce. Given that he never touches the ball it's basically a waste of time him being there. I'd be up for giving RHM a go against Bristol. He's got a pretty low bar to beat. 

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I know I have defended him in the past but I thought he was pretty poor today. Then again some of the balls played to him, oh my word. Hutton drilled it to his bed from about 10 yards and then the next time hit it about 40 yards ahead of him. RHM showed what you can do with shit football being played around you though.

Spot on. Having poor balls played to you is no excuse to just strutt around the pitch putting no pressure whatsoever on defenders.  That was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Villa player. Hope he never plays again. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I didn't see the first half, but the analyst on WM was getting very upset over his famous runs . . . said he kept narrowing his own angles by not dropping off the defender, FWIW. 

But his movement is amazing!!

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I didn't see the first half, but the analyst on WM was getting very upset over his famous runs . . . said he kept narrowing his own angles by not dropping off the defender, FWIW. 

He made a couple horrible runs to the front post, or actually past it, too far to be able to score.

On 28/12/2017 at 15:22, Dave J said:

I thought he did more than enough to warrant another start - I can assure you that if you know who had turned in that performance then you would have posters on here clamouring over the work rate and how he ran the channels, and his appetite for creating space.

well done Scott - about time you got a little bit of credit .

Obsessed

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

One of his runs when Elmo broke free down the right first half was genuinely appalling.

The greatest ball in the world from Elmo wouldn't have put him into a scoring position. It was awful.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

One of his runs when Elmo broke free down the right first half was genuinely appalling.

The greatest ball in the world from Elmo wouldn't have put him into a scoring position. It was awful.

It would have been a hell of a finish that's for sure! 

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

No fault of his own though as I can't remember one ball played into his feet or one ball played in behind for him to run onto. A fair few balls played high into the air up to him though.

This excuse is wearing a bit thin now. If the ball isnt coming to you go somewhere where you can get a touch;  He hides in games for me!

There were plenty of times when Adomah had the ball on the left and and it was him who looked isolated.  Hogan meanwhile would run to the other end of the box to take up position, but how many times has he to do this to realise that its not working. At least try once or twice to come short and offer yourself.  It may not be ideal to score bucket loads but we need all the help we can up front. 

Its almost like he has one way to play and cant change even when he knows its not working.

It wouldnt have been so obvious if a kid had come off the bench and showed him how to play the role. Lacks the presence to battle for a ball so uses movement to find gaps, close to his partner.

Edited by Nigel

There is no doubt he is fantastic at playing off the last-shoulder, but he struggles to read the game and anticipate the ball coming from defence. RHM came on today and always was there when the ball was cleared, such a noticeable difference...same can be said about Davis, it isn't a coincidence. With Hogan up top the defence always has time to bring the ball down and play a dangerous pass, which is often the difference in these Championship games.

In a team built for Hogan he would score you over 20 goals easily, but i think he is a limited footballer. It's a shame because he will go somewhere and will get goals, but he will never succeed here and it's in the best interest of both parties that he leaves soon.

Â