Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, striker said:

It's nothing to do with hindsight either though is it. You simply don't spend 12m on a player then ask him to play in a totally different way than he's used to and expect him to flourish almost immediately.

That‘s the bit that he doesn‘t want to understand

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Whatever you think of him, he will be a good option to have given our current injury problems.

I agree hasnt been great but he scores goals if presented the opportunity. certainly better than having bjarnason on the bench 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, striker said:

It's nothing to do with hindsight either though is it. You simply don't spend 12m on a player then ask him to play in a totally different way than he's used to and expect him to flourish almost immediately.

It has everything to do with hindsight.

Sure, they may not hit the ground running but you can expect them to adapt over the course of 12 months.

You can also expect them to give off some form of impression of being a professional footballer whilst adapting.

Two things he's utterly failed to do.

But yeah sure, console yourself with the pretense that it's all the Managers fault.

Is anyone actually saying it's all the managers fault?

For me Hogan has been disappointing, and I didn't rate him to begin with.

But I also feel he has not been utilized in a way suiting his style of play. Anyone and everyone can see he's not a target man or someone who holds up play alone in attack.

Confidence is key for strikers, he has none, that is a large part in why he fails to do even the basics nowadays IMO.

For the sum he was bought it was a huge overspend IMO and he probably hasn't been played in the role he was expecting to play, and he also hasn't been able to adapt. Not surprising for a Championship player.

Both he, Bruce and whoever signed him is to blame IMO.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sure, they may not hit the ground running but you can expect them to adapt over the course of 12 months.

You can also expect them to give off some form of impression of being a professional footballer whilst adapting.

But yeah sure, console yourself with the pretense that it's all the Managers fault.

It's not all the managers' fault, but you really do need to assess how players play before you sign them.  All of Hogan's work at Brentford seemed to be running off defenders into space created by Vibe and Jota in the main, who would look to find him.  Brentford's style is very much about movement and creativity (kudos Dean Smith, by the way, they're an excellent side to watch) - we are just not like this at all...

...which is why more physical strikers (Kodjia, Davis) have been more successful in our first team than more technical/light-weight forwards (McCormack, Hogan).

If your game isn't about holding the ball up, you don't suddenly "adapt" to holding the ball up.  As it stands, he's been a bizarre purchase.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I would say it is 50/50. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce signed him without a clue as to how to deploy him, as a result we have got no where near the best out of him. Bruce definitely has to take some of the blame for Hogan's performances. 

Interesting that what Bruce mostly seemed to admire in Hogan was his determination & fight to overcome adversity.

"What attracted me to him is that journey he's had, like Jamie Vardy.

"It's one of those were he's had it tough, it didn't go his way when he was younger, he thought his way was blocked.

"He had to go down to non league and work his way back up. Even when he is doing well and goes to Brentford he has to recover from a serious knee injury.

"This year he's been terrific and I think hell be a big favourite of the supporters. He's quick, dynamic and is a good finisher."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ireland-scott-hogan-12895080.amp

He must be a bit disappointed that Scott hasn’t shown much of that fight yet for Villa. Though it is true Bruce had little to say about formations or tactics here.

6 hours ago, sne said:

Is anyone actually saying it's all the managers fault?

For me Hogan has been disappointing, and I didn't rate him to begin with.

But I also feel he has not been utilized in a way suiting his style of play. Anyone and everyone can see he's not a target man or someone who holds up play alone in attack.

Confidence is key for strikers, he has none, that is a large part in why he fails to do even the basics nowadays IMO.

For the sum he was bought it was a huge overspend IMO and he probably hasn't been played in the role he was expecting to play, and he also hasn't been able to adapt. Not surprising for a Championship player.

Both he, Bruce and whoever signed him is to blame IMO.

Yes, pretty much.

Apparently Hogan is immune from criticism and it's all SB's fault for not integrating him properly.

10 hours ago, striker said:

If Bruce plays him with either Grealish, Lansbury or O'Hare in the No 10 role then you just might see Hogan start to play better. 

Look at Hogans goals for Brentford. Several of them are headers. While I agree he may need a certain style to truly shine there is no excuse to turn to dogshite no matter how you play. 

The whole issue is the fee. He is probably worth around 5m but because we paid silly money for him he is expected to shine. Ironically had we paid 5m for him he would probably wouldn't have crumbled under the pressure and performed a lot better.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yes, pretty much.

Apparently Hogan is immune from criticism and it's all SB's fault for not integrating him properly.

Dude give it a rest. Not every post about Hogan struggling with our style of play is a dig at Bruce. If anything it's the minority yet you grab any chance to defend him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, striker said:

If Bruce plays him with either Grealish, Lansbury or O'Hare in the No 10 role then you just might see Hogan start to play better. 

That is a real possibility......but whoever plays that role.....has to deliver, not just turn up.

players have to deliver, when they get their chance and MAKE themselves undroppable.

We can all pick names and "being capable "is simply not enough...they have to make a mark.

We have a bunch of strikers, who are capable, but don't score for various reasons.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, Grealish forces a passing game.

But he needs to stay on his feet.....goes to ground too easily.

that alone is a plus for the opposition.

I think jack brings that bit of guile that we so desperately miss, but he has to learn how to stay strong.....he is not a boy anymore.

• Like 1

Â