Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Many players have failed at some clubs and excelled at others, I think this is looking likely to fall into that category, I just don't think it's fair to lay blame squarely at the feet of the Manager, the player has to take responsibility as well and it feels like we're giving him a get out of jail free card purely to have a go at the Manager, again.

2 hours ago, choffer said:

I can't believe these debates are still going on (wait, it's VT, of course I can!).

Having seen a lot of him during his time at Brentford, the answer seems obvious and I think it was voiced by several people at the time. There is no question in my mind that he's good enough, the problem is as simple as him being a square peg in a round hole.

He had a big money move, he had a big pay rise and he is at a big club with high expectations. He has totally crumbled under the weight of expectation, even though we play a different way he can't even do the simple things. He has bottled it big time.

• Like 2

For me it's both.

Yes I still think he could be very good in a certain team playing a certain way.

But we aren't that team and we don't play that way, and he's not good enough to make up for that. A better striker would.

He's not worth changing our style for.

• Like 3

When he gets fit, I think he will score goals at this level, he hasn't really had a sustained run of form at this football club yet, I wouldn't write him off yet. I think we did overpay for him at the time but I think he could fire us back in to the Premier League

I am too far away from the problem to know.....We can all speculate, but I would have to speak to the coaches and himself to have any idea.

I can't comment on  why he is not doing it......only the fact that he isn't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

When he gets fit, I think he will score goals at this level, he hasn't really had a sustained run of form at this football club yet, I wouldn't write him off yet. I think we did overpay for him at the time but I think he could fire us back in to the Premier League

The problem is when you are going for promotion you want players to more or less hit the ground running......and after paying c 15 mill its reasonable expect a bit more than we have seen.

Its one thing hitting the "beans on toast" and having some bad luck.....but he is miles off it.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The problem is when you are going for promotion you want players to more or less hit the ground running......and after paying c 15 mill its reasonable expect a bit more than we have seen.

Its one thing hitting the "beans of toast" and having some bad luck.....but he is miles off it.

Agreed, I think we as fans just need to show a bit of patience with him, he's had quite a few injuries since he signed for us. 

I'd still back him to be a success here but like you say TRO, he is miles off it at the minute 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

5 hours ago, choffer said:

I can't believe these debates are still going on (wait, it's VT, of course I can!).

Having seen a lot of him during his time at Brentford, the answer seems obvious and I think it was voiced by several people at the time. There is no question in my mind that he's good enough, the problem is as simple as him being a square peg in a round hole.

It really isn't that simple. A good player adapts. Not turns to shit and forgets the basics.

• Like 3

On 30/11/2017 at 16:03, KHV said:

He had a big money move, he had a big pay rise and he is at a big club with high expectations. He has totally crumbled under the weight of expectation, even though we play a different way he can't even do the simple things. He has bottled it big time.

You forgot to add on - aided and abetted in spectacular fashion by his manager imo 

• Like 1

On 30/11/2017 at 16:24, Stevo985 said:

For me it's both.

Yes I still think he could be very good in a certain team playing a certain way.

But we aren't that team and we don't play that way, and he's not good enough to make up for that. A better striker would.

He's not worth changing our style for.

So why did we even bother to sign him- by your reckoning that’s 12 mill down the drain- SB should surely have thought about his suitability to fit into our style of play ( whatever this is ) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave J said:

So why did we even bother to sign him- by your reckoning that’s 12 mill down the drain- SB should surely have thought about his suitability to fit into our style of play ( whatever this is ) 

I’ve no idea. I assume whoever decided he was a target thought he would work in our system too. Good strikers should be able to adapt. 

Yes I think it’s 12m down the drain. Definitely Bruce’s worst signing so far imo. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I've said all along that this was a panic signing. I don't hold Bruce 100% to blame, I think we got done by his agent when his deal to west ham fell through. 

I don't quite get this, you either choose to sign him or not sign him, if we're getting 'done' by an agent then we only have ourselves to blame. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't quite get this, you either choose to sign him or not sign him, if we're getting 'done' by an agent then we only have ourselves to blame. 

Oh, the club is to blame, it was a terrible panic signing. I'm just not sure I place a lot of blame on Bruce  

I imagine his deal with west ham fell through, there's a couple of days left in the window and we are probably the only club who needs a championship striker and can afford the fee just agreed with a premier league club. 

I think the whole club jumped in without thinking much. Terrible piece of business, up there with the worst we've ever done. 

• Like 2

I thought it was a good signing at the time.

glad l'm not a scout.

problem is we  have 3  x c15 million pound strikers not available for various reasons....and another who would struggle to get in the Villa Old Stars.

That in itself has probably dumped us in a FFP hole too.

On 01/12/2017 at 18:55, Dave J said:

We needed a goalscorer - so SB brought one, I wouldn't blame him for that. Hogan just hasn't reproduced his form here. You can blame Bruce or the style of play if you wish. However other players are performing better than Hogan (Davis) - Other players are scoring more goals with the same service (Kjodia, Adomah) - Perhaps with the exception of Samba the whole of the team shows more ability to control the ball when they receive it.

We have a signed a player that hasn't delivered - If Bruce signs to many like this he knows what will happen. Thankfully most of his other signings are contributing more than Hogan

Â