Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Totally agree but then why did Bruce sign him?

I don't want to turn this in to a dig at Steve Bruce but I don't think even he appreciated how much the team needed a big man to be able to hold the ball up. Kodija can do this but more often than not turns and runs at the defender rather than linking up play. 

I think Bruce signed Hogan to play a similar role to Shane Long. Harry defenders, move them around, constantly on the shoulder being a nuisance. But we just haven't seen any of this from him! 

It was a bad move from an injury point of view, our medical team should have noted his past injuries and the likelihood of further problems. 

It's easy with hindsight but I think it was a clear risk that should have influenced the price and if not that the contract terms of Hogan. 

The fact he hasn't performed can be put down to his injuries and our form, stating he's a bad player based on his playing record for us is shortsighted, as shortsighted as our medical analysis of him before he signed ....

• Like 2

On 27/11/2017 at 23:14, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyone see Brentford's goals today. One of was a cross to the strikers feet allowing him to turn and shoot. The other was a pullback from wide position. Both goals were the kind he would thrive off. 

I wouldn't say he hasn't got enough service at Villa. It just hasn't happened for him. 

Adomah has 10 goals this season from the service which isn't good enough for Hogan,  - 2 on saturday. One was a defensive lapse which put Adomah through on the keeper.  - A typical striker goal - yet had that chance fell to Hogan I doubt he would have scored it.

He needs to play better - they guy can hardly control a ball - until he rectifies that it doesn't matter who plays behind him, along side him etc. Its down to him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tinker said:

It was a bad move from an injury point of view, our medical team should have noted his past injuries and the likelihood of further problems. 

It's easy with hindsight but I think it was a clear risk that should have influenced the price and if not that the contract terms of Hogan. 

The fact he hasn't performed can be put down to his injuries and our form, stating he's a bad player based on his playing record for us is shortsighted, as shortsighted as our medical analysis of him before he signed ....

Not so sure mate - 1 goal in year is a poor return from any striker. He has had plenty of chances and hasn't really been unavailable for selection for that many games. 

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Adomah has 10 goals this season from the service which isn't good enough for Hogan,  - 2 on saturday. One was a defensive lapse which put Adomah through on the keeper.  - A typical striker goal - yet had that chance fell to Hogan I doubt he would have scored it.

He needs to play better - they guy can hardly control a ball - until he rectifies that it doesn't matter who plays behind him, along side him etc. Its down to him. 

I agree. The service he got in that Brentford game wasn't anything spectacular. It was more about good movement and finishing from Vibe. Something we just didn't see enough of from Hogan when he got his chance.

if there really is a player in there and we aren't getting rid of him in Janurary. He needs to seriously step up his game. 

On 28/11/2017 at 19:33, Demitri_C said:

I have no idea its baffling.

Id say because davis has looked knackered esp against QPR. There is no other strikers and hogan can score goals so you would have to say he probably would have started one of the three games

I think you're thinking of the wrong game. He was brilliant against QPR. 

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't want to turn this in to a dig at Steve Bruce but I don't think even he appreciated how much the team needed a big man to be able to hold the ball up. Kodija can do this but more often than not turns and runs at the defender rather than linking up play. 

I think Bruce signed Hogan to play a similar role to Shane Long. Harry defenders, move them around, constantly on the shoulder being a nuisance. But we just haven't seen any of this from him! 

We’ll surely the blame does lie four square with Bruce ? He must have known what Hogans’s best attributes are? It’s not like Hogan was coming from Europe or elsewhere and on the back of someone’s recommendation or a couple of DVD’s - I think Bruce is accountable imo 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dave J said:

We’ll surely the blame does lie four square with Bruce ? He must have known what Hogans’s best attributes are? It’s not like Hogan was coming from Europe or elsewhere and on the back of someone’s recommendation or a couple of DVD’s - I think Bruce is accountable imo 

He is accountable the same way he is for any of his signings good or bad.

But that doesn't change the fact Hogan has become a shadow of the player that was signed! 

5 hours ago, Dave J said:

Of course Bruce is accountable - as any manager is if they spend big money on a player and he flops. But lets be quite clear Hogan hasn't delivered

I can't believe these debates are still going on (wait, it's VT, of course I can!).

Having seen a lot of him during his time at Brentford, the answer seems obvious and I think it was voiced by several people at the time. There is no question in my mind that he's good enough, the problem is as simple as him being a square peg in a round hole.

1 minute ago, choffer said:

I can't believe these debates are still going on (wait, it's VT, of course I can!).

Having seen a lot of him during his time at Brentford, the answer seems obvious and I think it was voiced by several people at the time. There is no question in my mind that he's good enough, the problem is as simple as him being a square peg in a round hole.

Square peg or not, if you cannot control a ball and not a difficult ball, a ball into feet at no great pace then there are much wider problems.

I refute this notion of square peg anyway, he's a striker and we've played him up front every time he's appeared, if we were asking him to play right back then fair enough but asking him to adapt to a different style shouldn't be such a cataclysmic event for him that he forgets how to even do the most fundamental of things expected from a professional footballer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Square peg or not, if you cannot control a ball and not a difficult ball, a ball into feet at no great pace then there are much wider problems.

I refute this notion of square peg anyway, he's a striker and we've played him up front every time he's appeared, if we were asking him to play right back then fair enough but asking him to adapt to a different style shouldn't be such a cataclysmic event for him that he forgets how to even do the most fundamental of things expected from a professional footballer.

Opinions, innit. I know lots of them are around and each probably have their own merit. It just saddens me to see a player who was so electric at Brentford, struggling so much in a setup that is the almost exact opposite of what would work for him.

Â