Neil Taylor

One For The Road

That football insider website is quite laughBle. It states Taylor will receive a hostile reception from Norwich fans and likely to be booed by the home fans too.

why would any sane villa fan boo Taylor? Absolutely ridiculous

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

A facebook mate has made the quite valid point that if they're going to throw the book at Taylor for that tackle then they should be throwing it at Bale as well.  His tackle on O'Shea was every bit as bad.  In fact I'd say it was worse.  It just didn't have the same consequences.  How dangerous a tackle is shouldn't solely be dependent upon the result.  O'Shea had a load of stitches and was inches from a potential career ending injury too.

But then Bale doesn't play in the 2nd tier and he somehow got away with a yellow.

And, again, Glenn Whelan.

Pre-mediated elbow versus spur of the moment bad challenge?  Nothing shown in the game.  No retrospective ban.  Completely "fine".

• Like 2

The headline about Proceedings is ridiculous. Can't see how they could do that unless it was criminal proceedings and therefore they are saying it is an intent to harm, which would surely be out of FIFA remit . What grounds have FIFA got for civil proceedings? Yes they can extend the ban.. but proceedings nope..

If Taylor gets an extended ban then Bale and Whelan should also get banned

the referee as well should be in trouble too, he was garbage. I cant believe he was voted best referee in the world multiple times and a World Cup final

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I am totally at a loss to understand how the statement that [Bales/another players'] tackle was every bit as bad as Taylor's should make me think any better of Taylor's horror tackle.

It's because FIFA are opening disciplinary proceedings against Taylor and not the other tackles that are just as bad except with less severe outcome, not to make you think any less of it.

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I am totally at a loss to understand how the statement that [Bales/another players'] tackle was every bit as bad as Taylor's should make me think any better of Taylor's horror tackle.

Where have you seen that statement? 

18 hours ago, BOF said:

A facebook mate has made the quite valid point that if they're going to throw the book at Taylor for that tackle then they should be throwing it at Bale as well.  His tackle on O'Shea was every bit as bad.  In fact I'd say it was worse.  It just didn't have the same consequences.  How dangerous a tackle is shouldn't solely be dependent upon the result.  O'Shea had a load of stitches and was inches from a potential career ending injury too.

But then Bale doesn't play in the 2nd tier and he somehow got away with a yellow.

nintchdbpict000311336491-e1490532831139.

In my opinion, if this tackle was correctly punished i.e. Red card, then Taylor probably wouldn't have made that tackle. It happened one minute after. 

The ref really had let things get out of hand. It was that type of game where he constantly failed to punish foul play (Whelan elbow and Bale tackle are just two examples of possible reds) leading eventually to Taylor thinking well if everyone is at it I'll have to front up. Unfortunately it resulted in a serious injury to Coleman. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

In my opinion, if this tackle was correctly punished i.e. Red card, then Taylor probably wouldn't have made that tackle. It happened one minute after. 

The ref really had let things get out of hand. It was that type of game where he constantly failed to punish foul play (Whelan elbow and Bale tackle are just two examples of possible reds) leading eventually to Taylor thinking well if everyone is at it I'll have to front up. Unfortunately it resulted in a serious injury to Coleman. 

It's the same ref that was in charge when Luke Shaw had his leg broken playing for United.  It seems he's known for letting things go.

22 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I don't know exactly what this means but the headline doesn't read well. Apparently FIFA are opening proceedings against Taylor....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fifa-opens-proceedings-against-neil-taylor-following-horror-challenge-that-broke-seamus-colemans-leg-35578919.html

I don't know whether it is to do with additional games been added to the ban or actually seeking financial compensation as they are now paying Coleman's wages. Also, this could be sensationalist headline writing as the Irish Indedpendent is essentially a tabloid posing as a broadsheet.

Seems clear enough from the article it is about lengthening the ban. The phrase "opened proceedings" is just the work of an over-excited journalist or sub-editor.

Edited by briny_ear

I haven't commented on this as I didn't see the tackle until a few days after.  Not that anybody asked for my opinion :) 

It's just misjudged as far as I'm concerned.

However, as a bit of a story, I used to know Gavin Hurren who was a youth player for Notts Forest.  I watched him play a few games for the reserves etc.  I remember his dad once telling us that his coaches went ballistic at him for not going up for an aerial challenge with an opposing player when, if he had, he would have caught the player with his head, under the players chin (and could have knocked him out, broke his nose or worse).  His coaches had absolutely nothing to say about it, and dropped him for the next game.  This is under 18s by the way.

As professionals, if you don't make challenges, you show weakness.  You don't give the opposition an inch.  The will to win in these people transcends anything anything in Sunday league, county level - hell, even top end non-league. Taylor NOT going for that ball wasn't an option.  It's just mightily unfortunate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's the same ref that was in charge when Luke Shaw had his leg broken playing for United.  It seems he's known for letting things go.

Didn't even book Moreno for that one I think....

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Didn't even book Moreno for that one I think....

I just looked and you're correct.  He was booked later in the game.  He also scored a goal after ending Shaw's season.  Quite the game for Hector.

Â