Neil Taylor

One For The Road

1 hour ago, BOF said:

What I am wondering now is whether Taylor will be in the right frame of mind to start our next game.  By all accounts he's devastated over what he did to Coleman, so it'll be interesting to see whether he's rested for the Norwich game, either because of his mental state or to keep him out of the firing line.  I do have an ounce of sympathy for the aggressor in situations like this.  They rightly get blamed, but they are probably putting themselves through the ringer as well.

Personally I don't think he should play. Amavi can go to left back and Green - who I seem to recall was on the verge of fitness 10 days ago - can come in as left mid. 

Taylor needs to get his head right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Personally I don't think he should play. Amavi can go to left back and Green - who I seem to recall was on the verge of fitness 10 days ago - can come in as left mid. 

Taylor needs to get his head right. 

And to follow on from my point.  If he does play, what on earth will the reaction of the fans be.  I could hazard a guess.  Opposition fans at the very least would see him as an easy target.  I suspect even a decent contingent of our own fans are less than impressed with him.

Just now, BOF said:

And to follow on from my point.  If he does play, what on earth will the reaction of the fans be.  I could hazard a guess.  Opposition fans at the very least would see him as an easy target.  I suspect even a decent contingent of our own fans are less than impressed with him.

Absolutely. Better to give it a few weeks and let the heat die down. 

3 hours ago, NeilS said:

I must be watching a different video to you then, as in the one i watched they more or less get to the ball at a similar time. The tackle was reckless, and hard, but I would imagine he thought the ball was there to win and I think you are being overly harsh with your assesment that he only wanted to rough up Coleman.

Taylor tackle on Coleman

I guess we are watching a different video, as its clear he meant to leave a mark

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Im less than impressed with him, but a Villa fan should cheer him on no matter what

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Is it that big of a story? Irish media are milking it but its been forgotten on Sky Sports News since Sunday at least

I dont remember Shawcross or Taylor were booed by opposition fans as harshly when they made there bad tackles. 

On 3/27/2017 at 13:56, StefanAVFC said:

Football is 100% a contact sport.

I hate the modern game because any and all contact is discouraged. I play with a bunch of lads and if you touch them, they get all arsey. I'm talking, a hand in the back to let them know you're there and they get shitty.

I'm with DDID, I hate the modern world.

I'm off to watch Spartacus:)................... my world.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NeilS said:

I must be watching a different video to you then, as in the one i watched they more or less get to the ball at a similar time. The tackle was reckless, and hard, but I would imagine he thought the ball was there to win and I think you are being overly harsh with your assesment that he only wanted to rough up Coleman.

Taylor tackle on Coleman

If you are correct that he thought he was going for the ball, a big learning point for him is that the ball runs along the ground, so aiming your tackle just under the knee isn't a great idea. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is it that big of a story? Irish media are milking it but its been forgotten on Sky Sports News since Sunday at least

I dont remember Shawcross or Taylor were booed by opposition fans as harshly when they made there bad tackles. 

The Irish independent did a very good piece on it and recalled a number of similar tackles that fortunately have not caused serious injury. Even stated 2 tackles by Coleman that could well have ended up with broken bones. One on Sterling in October and the other on costa in November. 

Talks about how the Irish football fans used to love a cruncher from Keane and also the tackles that McLean flies into.

These tackles happen frequently and often the tackle is judged by the outcome and injury sustained. 

• Like 4

Seriously, I can't believe the reaction to Taylor for that tackle. If Coleman got up and walked away from it nothing would have been said about it. But, because of the injury people have gone mental about it like Taylor is some kind of new Roy Keane, a player who definitely went out to injure other players. 

Taylor went for the ball but Coleman was too quick and more aggressive than him. It is as simple as that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If you are correct that he thought he was going for the ball, a big learning point for him is that the ball runs along the ground, so aiming your tackle just under the knee isn't a great idea. 

It doesn't though - the ball is bouncing. 

Throughout his career, Taylor has probably made thousands of tackles, and that his injury to tackle ratio is just as low as most professional footballers. One tackle does not a thug make.

Bad tackle...player got hurt...it happens. Whoop di doo.

16 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't see the need or value in perpetuating this notion that he should be ashamed of what he did.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It doesn't though - the ball is bouncing. 

It would have needed to be extremely extravagant bounce to justify the studs going that high.  As it was, the ball dies in the turf - after deflecting off Taylor himself. 

The very charitable and spirited defence of this moment of thuggery seen here and elsewhere  (It was just a mistimed challenge/ he didn't mean it) doesn't wash with me, I'm afraid. 

For a couple of reasons.  

1.  A mistimed challenge usually applies if a canny player gets a nick on the ball at the last second and draws the foul. Or said player changes direction at the very last moment. Petrov was a past master of this. Wet conditions screw the timing and can also contribute.  This list is by no means exhaustive, but you get the idea.

2. Tackles like it had already occurred earlier in the match, albeit with not such a grim outcome.  For reasons known only to themselves, the Welsh had come out after the interval in full-on Souness see opponent, kick opponent mode.  Odd, as if they had continued letting the ball do the work they had the quality to eventually wear Ireland down (and were starting to do so). 

3.  I make Taylor actually favourite to win the ball if he keeps the studs down. It had deflected off him and was in his flight path, so to speak.  It's not as if Coleman comes out of nowhere. He has adequate time to see the ball and see Coleman's shin. He goes over the ball. Play the video in realtime or slow it down, the outcome is the same. 

I get that some on here would wish to defend a Villa player no matter what (however misguided that is) and are more concerned about Taylor's mindset in our remaining games, making that priority 1,2 and 3. 

For me, it makes it worse that a Villa player has behaved like that on a football pitch. I can't defend it at all. 

18 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

It would have needed to be extremely extravagant bounce to justify the studs going that high.  As it was, the ball dies in the turf - after deflecting off Taylor himself. 

The very charitable and spirited defence of this moment of thuggery seen here and elsewhere  (It was just a mistimed challenge/ he didn't mean it) doesn't wash with me, I'm afraid. 

For a couple of reasons.  

1.  A mistimed challenge usually applies if a canny player gets a nick on the ball at the last second and draws the foul. Or said player changes direction at the very last moment. Petrov was a past master of this. Wet conditions screw the timing and can also contribute.  This list is by no means exhaustive, but you get the idea.

2. Tackles like it had already occurred earlier in the match, albeit with not such a grim outcome.  For reasons known only to themselves, the Welsh had come out after the interval in full-on Souness see opponent, kick opponent mode.  Odd, as if they had continued letting the ball do the work they had the quality to eventually wear Ireland down (and were starting to do so). 

3.  I make Taylor actually favourite to win the ball if he keeps the studs down. It had deflected off him and was in his flight path, so to speak.  It's not as if Coleman comes out of nowhere. He has adequate time to see the ball and see Coleman's shin. He goes over the ball. Play the video in realtime or slow it down, the outcome is the same. 

I get that some on here would wish to defend a Villa player no matter what (however misguided that is) and are more concerned about Taylor's mindset in our remaining games, making that priority 1,2 and 3. 

For me, it makes it worse that a Villa player has behaved like that on a football pitch. I can't defend it at all. 

Agree with all of this, HolteExile. In particular point 2. In a way, the only "mitigation" for Taylor is that it seems fairly clear he was following a general managerial instruction to go in high on tackles and generally rough up the Irish in the second half. It's not much of an excuse because he still had a choice about the way he tackled Coleman.

It happened and it will no doubt happen again. Was it reckless, most likely, was it intentional, I very much doubt it.

Is that Irish boxer who called him out an utter twunt. Most definitely. 

Can't wait for the weekend. Hopefully then we can put this debate to bed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BOF said:

It's Norwich, at home, there will be 65 of them, let them boo. 

He's a professional footballer, he needs to get on with the things he has control over, fans are a fickle bunch as we know and if our fans boo him on Saturday I'm sure that'd change if he plays a blinder. 

All water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned anyway, so unless someone has a DeLorean and a 2.21 gigawatt lightning bolt there's no use in discussing the did he-did he not mean its. 

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

It happened and it will no doubt happen again. Was it reckless, most likely, was it intentional, I very much doubt it.

Is that Irish boxer who called him out an utter twunt. Most definitely. 

Can't wait for the weekend. Hopefully then we can put this debate to bed. 

To be fair, I wouldn't mind getting Katie Taylor in the ring! ;)

3 hours ago, HolteExile said:

For a couple of reasons.  

It really doesn't bother me that he plays for the Villa. In fact, if Coleman had done the same to Taylor I wouldn't have said that he meant it either.

Another factor here is the way in which Coleman went for that challenge. He blasts at the ball without any show of trying to cross or pass it, just a blasts at it with full force. That could easily have been Taylor nicking it away and Coleman smashing Taylor in the back of the calf. Like I said before, it was all about timing. Taylor was late to the challenge and Coleman suffered as a result of it.

• Like 2

Â