Neil Taylor

One For The Road

A player knowing he will play every game no matter what leads to a comfort zone, no real need to push to your limits. 

He is solid enough defensively, but struggles when attacking, mind you if we play 442 from now on then theres no real need for our full backs to push forward, defensive full backs are more suited to it.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He must be doing alright if you don't rate him :) 

Sounds like he's doing magnificently.

Replacing Amavi with Taylor is up there with the stupidest decisions we've ever made. If Amavi gets a move back to the Premier League one day that will become a fact. 

Taylor is one of the last players that I would criticise right now. Since he joined he's been as solid and consistent a left-back as I've ever seen play for us.

He's not great when attacking, but he can string together a few passes and put in a (half) decent cross, which is light years ahead of what we've seen from our leftbacks in recent years!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Replacing Amavi with Taylor is up there with the stupidest decisions we've ever made. If Amavi gets a move back to the Premier League one day that will become a fact. 

Personally I think replacing a player who was consistently garbage with a player who's consistently decent is good business.

But what would I know :) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, supermon said:

He hoofs the ball a tad too much for my liking 

My thoughts exactly. I think he does a good defensive job but at least 4 times yesterday, in the second half, the ball was played around between our players, in order to keep possession, and as soon as it got to Taylor he just clipped a hopeful ball down the line that reached nobody from our team. 

He needs to protect the ball more and play it simple if it means we keep possession. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I liked Amavi, especially before the injury. But I have to ask, which one of the errors which gifted the opposition  a goal or a good chance was it that made you think swapping Taylor with Amavi one of the 'stupidest decisions we've ever made'? 

Taylor isn't as glamorous as Amavi, but he's certainly a lot more solid and consistent based on what I've seen of Taylor in the championship and what I've seen of Amavi in the championship.

23 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I liked Amavi, especially before the injury. But I have to ask, which one of the errors which gifted the opposition  a goal or a good chance was it that made you think swapping Taylor with Amavi one of the 'stupidest decisions we've ever made'? 

Taylor isn't as glamorous as Amavi, but he's certainly a lot more solid and consistent based on what I've seen of Taylor in the championship and what I've seen of Amavi in the championship.

I didn't see the Barnsley game. I agree he has been fairly solid defensively. I just don't think his ceiling is anywhere near as high as Amavi's currently. Even though Amavi was inconsistent you could say that about nearly all our players over the last few seasons. There is a big gap in quality between Amavi and Taylor in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

If you sent both of them to a top Premier League team one would fit and possibly push on and the other wouldn't.

One couldn't get a game for a mid table Championship team, and when he did got absolutely tore up by journeymen players. I will give you a clue which one, he was French.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

One couldn't get a game for a mid table Championship team, and when he did got absolutely tore up by journeymen players. I will give you a clue which one, he was French.

He was playing well enough for us to be offered 25m for him in January.

His form dropped off after that. Bruce obviously didn't rate him either or he didn't fit into his style of play. It doesn't surprise me at all he didn't regain his form under him.

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

If you sent both of them to a top Premier League team one would fit in and possibly push on and the other wouldn't.

One of them would fit in, and it aint Amavi.

I agree Amavi POSSIBLY has the potential to be better than Taylor. But he's a long long way off realising it.

Based on current ability, Neil Taylor is a far better player.

Â