Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

This game was made for him, as I think Lee Hendrie said at half time.

Sometimes you want the reliable 7/10 performer who does the defensive work and keeps the ball moving around, and sometimes you want the player who can "unlock the door" with a moment of genius. Hourihane, for all his faults, has those moments of genius in his locker (which I think would work equally well at Premier League level).

One of our most important players IMO and doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves.

• Like 2

If you could see the future and see how defensive WBA were going to be you'd be throwing him straight into the team.

Did a great job when he came on. Was in the pocket ready for another screamer as well, thought Jack went the wrong way late on.

Late on at 2-1 up he joined in with closing down and left a big fat hole right in front of the defence, it was when they put it out of play over on the right wing. That's why it's back to the bench for me, he doesn't have the positioning to play that role in a game where the opposition needs to score.

Smith being the madman he is might go the other way and try to score early then bring Whelan on to contain.

• Like 1

I have slated CH a lot this year, mostly I think rightly so. However he proved me wrong today, in a moment where we  were running out of ideas he stepped and struck a worldy.  

The Hammer 2.0!

He seems to be more assertive in recent weeks and doesn't go missing for large parts of the match.

Well done CH, well done 👏

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

"Take a touch, take a touch, take a touch, take a touch, YOU'VE GOT TIME YOU MORONGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

30q0jd.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just short of 20 total goals and assists from midfield this season now isn't it?

There are definitely critiques to be made of him as a player but after that truly embarrassing shite he had to put up with earlier in the season (and dealt with very admirably also) there isn't a player I'm happier to see score for us. Fair play Conor.

• Like 3

When the team was published yesterday, all around me were questioning why Whelan over Hourihane? Then Whelan's mistake came and it just strangthened the question. But, as the first half progressed, you could see that Albion had no attacking intent and that Whelan needed to be replaced by Hourihane. 

Second half started and again we were asking why no change? Then Grealish got the ball about 22 yards out and played it nicely into the path of Whelan for him to strike at goal. The shot was tamely hit low into a wall of players. I looked at the guys around me and asked this question "did you ever think he would score that?" To which all replied "no, nah, no chance" etc. Then I said "but if it was Hourihane?" And all agreed that they would have backed him to have at least worked the keeper. 

Hourihane came on and did just that for his brilliant goal and that is why he should play over Whelan. He may not have that defensive mind to spot a runner but he gives so much more to the game than Whelan does. He can pass, shoot, take a great corner and his a cracking free kick. 

Hopefully we have two more games left this season and Hourihane starts in both of them.

• Like 1

I think it was right to start Whelan. The balance is better and allows Grealish and McGinn to press. When we play a team that isn't sitting back it allows too much space infront of our defence. For instance Leeds a few weeks ago.

However, when pressing for a goal and playing a team sitting back. Conor is a must. His shooting from range and set pieces are a big plus 

Hourihane is a very limited player but what he does well, is very valuable to us.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, villarocker said:

When the team was published yesterday, all around me were questioning why Whelan over Hourihane? Then Whelan's mistake came and it just strangthened the question. But, as the first half progressed, you could see that Albion had no attacking intent and that Whelan needed to be replaced by Hourihane. 

Second half started and again we were asking why no change? Then Grealish got the ball about 22 yards out and played it nicely into the path of Whelan for him to strike at goal. The shot was tamely hit low into a wall of players. I looked at the guys around me and asked this question "did you ever think he would score that?" To which all replied "no, nah, no chance" etc. Then I said "but if it was Hourihane?" And all agreed that they would have backed him to have at least worked the keeper. 

Hourihane came on and did just that for his brilliant goal and that is why he should play over Whelan. He may not have that defensive mind to spot a runner but he gives so much more to the game than Whelan does. He can pass, shoot, take a great corner and his a cracking free kick. 

Hopefully we have two more games left this season and Hourihane starts in both of them.

Hourihane should've started yesterday, and he was awesome with the goal and everything.

However, Whelan should start Tuesday. We need more defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

I thinks its horses for courses....but it wasn't working so it had to change.

Whelan has been playing well, but Yesterday wasn't one of them.....not just the error....He was involving himself in too much non-descript play, that was just rendering ourselves predictable....for me,that error was coming it was symptomatic of the the type of play we had succumbed to, their game plan was to close us down at every opportunity, our problem was we made it easy for them by dwelling with the ball too deep as opposed to moving it quickly.

I think nerves played a part yesterday.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Makes no difference whether we are at home or away to me, Hourihane changed the game and should start. 

He has his downsides like all our players.....but he helps us move the ball quicker and encourages our team away from sitting deep.....IMO that's crucial, playing a big physical team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think it was right to start Whelan. The balance is better and allows Grealish and McGinn to press. When we play a team that isn't sitting back it allows too much space infront of our defence. For instance Leeds a few weeks ago.

However, when pressing for a goal and playing a team sitting back. Conor is a must. His shooting from range and set pieces are a big plus 

Hourihane is a very limited player but what he does well, is very valuable to us.

The problem was they were so obsessed with closing down McGinn and Grealish, Whelan seen a lot of the ball in the earlier exchanges( not having a go at him, just observing) but he was busying himself in playing nothing balls, like possession for possession sake.

There was no searching balls being played ,that would unhinge Albions confidence.....it was all too predictable and comfortable.

Glen is fine, when we are under the cosh from teams coming at us at speed and he can intercept or "pick pocket" the little loose balls and turn over and feed jack and John.....that wasn't happening so his value was lost. He inadvertently discouraged us from pushing them deeper by his safety first passing across field.

Edited by TRO

Whelan v Hourihane on Tuesday? 

I think it is a case of horses for courses or more correctly midfielders for different games/halves/situations   

As Shan has said, WBA will need to be on the front foot Tuesday. Despite the Whelan error yesterday he is a better DM that CH. I reckon Whelan will start and CH will be introduced again in the 2nd. 

• Like 4

Â