Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am saying that Whelan is better equipped ( IMO)to play the DM role than Conor Hourihane

Then why did we still batter a so called "tough" opponent in Derby 3-0 away from home with Hourihane in the dm role?

Honestly i think you overrate Whelans influence insanely, our performance level would not drop with Hourihane in that role, there is no evidence to back that up.

Whelan has played very well, no one is denying that, but to say that Hourihane wouldn't do the role just as well is not something i agree with. With Jack in the side Hourihane has been fantastic in that role the whole season.

Edited by villalad21

45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Then why did we still batter a so called "tough" opponent in Derby 3-0 away from home with Hourihane in the dm role?

Honestly i think you overrate Whelans influence insanely, our performance level would not drop with Hourihane in that role, there is no evidence to back that up.

Whelan has played very well, no one is denying that, but to say that Hourihane wouldn't do the role just as well is not something i agree with. With Jack in the side Hourihane has been fantastic in that role the whole season.

By the same token, Hourihane in the DM role was responsible for a couple of goals just after Christmas. I think one of them was against QPR.

Some of our players are very important—I like Hourihane's stats but my eyes tell me he's not up there with our top players. Whelan is playing well at the moment.

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

WTF is going on in this thread? A player was unavailable for selection because his wife was giving birth (and people saying he should not have been there? Oh my word!) and the player who came in for him did so well that the first player cant get back into the team and this is some sort of cause for concern? What is wrong with you people?

We are about to enter a very busy and season defining run of games in quick succession and we have two players for one position, both in excellent form (one being well rested) to take us into that period??? What an excellent situation to be in.

Ask the young villa lad.

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

There is loads of evidence -- all the games this season where Hourihane has played as the deepest midfielder, and we have struggled to control possession.

I like Hourihane, but he doesn't have the right temperament for DM. The role of a good DM is to be a water carrier, and make the players around you look better. Hourihane is someone who wants time and space to do things with the ball.

Sometimes you can get space as a DM if the opposition don't press you, and when that happens Hourihane can look very good (better than Whelan probably). But the good teams don't let a DM look up and line up a 60 yard pass. Remember the Sheff Utd game where they pressed Hourihane from the 1st minute, and he looked shellshocked? In that situation, I'd take Whelan's calmness and simplicity over Hourihane's Hollywood balls.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2019 at 13:25, KentVillan said:

There is loads of evidence -- all the games this season where Hourihane has played as the deepest midfielder, and we have struggled to control possession.

I like Hourihane, but he doesn't have the right temperament for DM. The role of a good DM is to be a water carrier, and make the players around you look better. Hourihane is someone who wants time and space to do things with the ball.

Sometimes you can get space as a DM if the opposition don't press you, and when that happens Hourihane can look very good (better than Whelan probably). But the good teams don't let a DM look up and line up a 60 yard pass. Remember the Sheff Utd game where they pressed Hourihane from the 1st minute, and he looked shellshocked? In that situation, I'd take Whelan's calmness and simplicity over Hourihane's Hollywood balls.

I think you are spot on.

The DM is a crucial role for me and not any old midfielder to be shoved in....as you say......The ideal candidate has to have good ball control and be able to resist challenges, also start attacks...i.e Roy Keane,Patrick Viera. This player for me is the most rounded player in the team and can do a bit of everything.

When you watch a really good one, you see the whole game quote Vincent di Bosque.

Hourihane has the vision and the range to play DLP but not the consistency or the tactical knowledge to do so with regularity. That's before we mention how soft he is defensively. It isn't his position, he has shown he can't do it to the same level as a 35 year old Glenn Whelan, so why try and squeeze a square peg into a round hole? 

He is great at what his skill set is suited to, floating around keeping things ticking over, putting in a shift without fuss or flair until he pops up with a bit of magic around the box. He's 28, this is who he is and I appreciate it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Just listened to an interview with Lee Johnson. Called Conor a little rat because he keeps scoring against him. 😆😆 Salty much?? 

Did he actually say rat? That's really not a cool thing to call an Irish person. 

13 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Just listened to an interview with Lee Johnson. Called Conor a little rat because he keeps scoring against him. 😆😆 Salty much?? 

I thought he said runt, think him and Conor know each other well so this is one thing that’s Johnson wasn’t moaning about 

Like many supporters I have mixed feelings about Hourihane and saw him as a one trick pony. He cannot play DM or be the playmaker as per Grealish, CH isnt comfortable at all with the ball under pressure. However, on Saturday he showed that he can be very effective getting into advanced positions - basically he had a free role and Bristol didn’t know what do about him. He was unlucky not to get 3/4 goals. All that said it is hard to see where he fits in when Grealish is fit. McGinn is a shoe-in, Al Ghazi likewise at the moment, Whelan must play DM and either Albert or Green on the wing. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Just watched the highlights. How did he not score at least a hattrick on Saturday? :D 

Well he's getting into good scoring opportunities at least.

save em for the play off I guess.

Â