Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Where did he say that?? 😂 

You implied performances should matter whether a player should get picked or not. Hourihane performances has been very good since Jack's return, so your argument for picking favorites falls short. Hourihane been excellent and do not deserve to get dropped, if anything it should be for him to lose with an actual bad performance.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You implied performances should matter whether a player should get picked or not. Hourihane performances has been very good since Jack's return, so your argument for picking favorites falls short. Hourihane been excellent and do not deserve to get dropped, if anything it should be for him to lose with an actual bad performance.

I didn’t imply anything mate. You were replying to @weedman

He wasn’t dropped. He lost his place. How many times do people have to explain this to you before you understand? 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He wasn’t dropped. He lost his place. How many times do people have to explain this to you before you understand? 

Same thing.

There's nothing to not understand. Whelan is being played over Hourihane which i don't agree with that's all. It's you folks that picked up the whole debate, i simply stated i would prefer Hourihane to play.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

There really is no need for a dm in the championship, mate. It's not Aguero we are facing here, it's the likes of Grabban.

We beat Derby away from home 3-0 with Hourihane and 4-0 at home with Whelan so it doesn't look like he makes that much of a difference. We are beating these teams regardless.

Hourihane just means more chances created, take your pick. But i absolutely see no need for a natural dmf when we are dominating games the way we have done lately.

Probably one of the most important positions on a football field....They dictate/direct the tempo of the game....They see the whole game and morph between Offence and defence....usually good readers who pick up the pieces and keep the flow going, absolutely essential in my book.

If you watched the Blackburn Game.....They could so easily have caused a draw, with their domination in the last Half Hour....Whelan and McGinn trying to win the ball back was crucial, there possession was gaining momentum.....They seized possession and the initiative, if we had too many offensive players we would risked  securing the 3 points IMO.

There are still plenty of decent players in this division that can cause problems......Billy Sharp, Teema Pukki, Joe Lolley,Jarrod Bowen,Bradley Dack, Famara Diedhiou, Patrick Bamford, Mason Mount, etc and many more.

Its great to play attacking football, but inevitably the opposition will have their moments and we have to deal with those moments....having players equipped to deal with them is central to securing a win as opposed to a draw.

In your example, maybe other factors were at play to have the affect you referred to....not just Hourihane v  Whelan.

The Spanish Manager Vicente Del Bosque Once said (talking about DM's)......"When you watch our game you don't notice Sergio Busquets, but when you watch Busquets, you see the whole game"......That sums up the Defensive Midfielder for me.

Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So you're saying Hourihane been playing badly since Jack's return? Interesting

Arguments he's made...hmm all looking pretty solid, can't argue with any of that

Arguments he hasn't made...ooh I can argue these all day!

So you're saying we should sell Grealish for £5 to Huddersfield? Interesting 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Probably one of the most important positions on a football field....They dictate/direct the tempo of the game....They see the whole game and morph between Offence and defence....usually good readers who pick up the pieces and keep the flow going, absolutely essential in my book.

If you watched the Blackburn Game.....They could so easily have caused a draw, with their domination in the last Half Hour....Whelan and McGinn trying to win the ball back was crucial, there possession was gaining momentum.....They seized possession and the initiative, if we had too many offensive players we would risked  securing the 3 points IMO.

There are still plenty of decent players in this division that can cause problems......Billy Sharp, Teema Pukki, Joe Lolley,Jarrod Bowen,Bradley Dack, Famara Diedhiou, Patrick Bamford, Mason Mount, etc and many more.

Its great to play attacking football, but inevitably the opposition will have their moments and we have to deal with those moments....having players equipped to deal with them is central to securing a win as opposed to a draw.

In your example, maybe other factors were at play to have the affect you referred to....not just Hourihane v  Whelan.

The Spanish Manager Di Bosque Once said (talking about DM's)......"When you watch our game you don't notice Busquets, when you watch Busquets you see the whole game"......That sums up the Defensive Midfielder for me.

I would argue Hourihane would help us dominating the Blackburn game more with his passing skills.

Hourihane can manage the dm role just as well as Whelan and he has proved that many times this season.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I would argue Hourihane would help us dominating the Blackburn game more with his passing skills.

Hourihane can manage the dm role just as well as Whelan and he has proved that many times this season.

He was brilliant at home to Forest in the Dm role. other games as well he had some shockers before Jack returned

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Same thing.

There's nothing to not understand. Whelan is being played over Hourihane which i don't agree with that's all. It's you folks that picked up the whole debate, i simply stated i would prefer Hourihane to play.

It’s really not. How can you drop someone that isn’t available to play!!??

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I disagree....you have to win the ball back, or be in possession, before you can pass it.

Hourihane is not at his most comfortable with the physical involvement of winning the ball back, so I again, disagree.

Conor Hourihane has a fantastic left peg....but that is a whole different argument.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

If hourihane had come straight back in, i'm sure that the same poster would be complaining about that. 

Quite possibly true.

For me, one is an attacking midfielder and one is a defensive midfielder, so I am not sure of the argument that he is presenting.

If a centre half plays as a centre forward to help the team, he is not suddenly a centre Forward.....conor is not a DM

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree....you have to win the ball back, or be in possession, before you can pass it.

Hourihane is not at his most comfortable with the physical involvement of winning the ball back, so I again, disagree.

Conor Hourihane has a fantastic left peg....but that is a whole different argumen

So what you're saying is that without Whelan in the team we would not win the ball back?

50 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So what you're saying is that without Whelan in the team we would not win the ball back?

No,I am not saying that carte blanche, because McGinn helps to do it too....but its too much for one in some games.

I am saying that Whelan is better equipped ( IMO)to play the DM role than Conor Hourihane.....I am not saying he is a better player in general.....they do different things well, in my view, anyway.

However, at time players have to fill in and play out of their best/natural position.

Personally....I think the DM role is the most misunderstood of all the midfield roles...the attributes required are different from that of an attacking midfielder.

Edited by TRO

If anything, isn't it great that he's waiting in the wings and can replace Whelan in midweek. Competition for places is great. If he plays well, Whelan might not even get back into the team (then I imagine we'll be arguing in the Whelan thread why he was dropped when he was playing so well).

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If anything, isn't it great that he's waiting in the wings and can replace Whelan in midweek. Competition for places is great. If he plays well, Whelan might not even get back into the team (then I imagine we'll be arguing in the Whelan thread why he was dropped when he was playing so well).

Agree. Great to have options.

Â