Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

I actually see where you are coming from and if we didn’t have cover I reckon he would have played. We didn’t need him. 

Edit: quoted the wrong post.  Was meant to quote @screwdriver

Does any man actually want to be there when their wife gives birth?  I don’t think it actually helps them. If I have another one I’m waiting outside.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We were still a winning team when Hourihane played...

You still haven't answered my question. What has Hourihane done in the last games he played to justify him losing his place?

He didn’t do anything wrong He didn’t play and so Whelan came in and did such a good job he kept his place. That’s how it should be! 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He didn’t do anything wrong He didn’t play and so Whelan came in and did such a good job he kept his place. That’s how it should be! 

You better not attend the birth of your child then or you will lose your place in the team 😆

That's how it should be!

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

You better not attend the birth of your child then or you will lose your place in the team 😆

That's how it should be!

As amusing as I've found this argument, your position is clearly Hourihane didn't deserve to be dropped, so, using your own logic, what has Whelan done to deserve to be dropped?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I was with my wife 4 years ago while our son was born, and after he was born not breathing, taken immediately from my wife and put on a resuscitation table and had a long metal tube stuck down his throat and about 10 emergency staff burst through the door - I - was the only person able to give her (and I) updates about what the **** was going on with our seconds old son. 

I'll also be there in 3 weeks (or thereabouts) when my second son is being born.

you're **** right I want to be with my wife, who I love more than anything in the world. Football becomes an EXTREMELY insignificant thing when these things roll around, and I suggest it probably isn't normal for it NOT to be. 

Hope everything turned out alright mate. 

I meant actually in the room with them during the labour as opposed to not being there at all. I found I was a hindrance and it would have been better if my wife had her sister with her or something.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's how it should be!

If I did I would fully understand there’s a chance I could lose my place if the player who replaced me did a great job. 

1 minute ago, weedman said:

As amusing as I've found this argument, your position is clearly Hourihane didn't deserve to be dropped, so, using your own logic, what has Whelan done to deserve to be dropped?

It is true though.

If he had ditched he's child's birth he would still be in the team as amusing as you find it.

And i highly disagree with it, you should be dropped for having a bad game but that is not the case with Hourihane.

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It is true though.

If he had ditched he's child's birth he would still be in the team as amusing as you find it.

And i highly disagree with it, you should be dropped for having a bad game but that is not the case with Hourihane.

Classic case of not answering the question because it invalidates your entire argument, given your posting history it is not a surprise.

He wasn't "dropped for going to his child's birth", he was unavailable for selection and his replacement has come in and played brilliantly, making him undroppable as things stand. If his levels drop Conor will be there waiting in the wings to regain his place, it's called competition for places, actually pretty common in professional football believe it or not

It's not Conors fault, it's not Smith's fault, it's not anyone's fault, but it's happened and that's football. Look at our goalkeeper situation, Kalinic got injured, Steer came in and has done well and has subsequently kept his place in the team. It wasn't Kalinic fault that he got injured, and it's not his fault that we've been playing so well in his absence he can't get back in, but it's happened and that's football, he'll get a chance to take the place from Steer at some point, and it's up to him to take that chance

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It is true though.

But, again, if Hourihane was now brought in then he would be being dropped without having a bad game. So what's the difference?

We have several midfielders performing well. Someone has to miss out. That's how it should be!

1 minute ago, weedman said:

It's not Conors fault, it's not Smith's fault, it's not anyone's fault, but it's happened and that's football. Look at our goalkeeper situation, Kalinic got injured, Steer came in and has done well and has subsequently kept his place in the team. It wasn't Kalinic fault that he got injured, and it's not his fault that we've been playing so well in his absence he can't get back in, but it's happened and that's football, he'll get a chance to take the place from Steer at some point, and it's up to him to take that chance

Not comparable. 

Kalinic haven't played well and it was the perfect opportunity to try Steer. The difference is Hourihane played very well, scoring goals and looked very good together with Jack and McGinn.

We look more of a attacking threat with Hourihane in the team, Mings and Hause is bossing the back 4 so i would argue we don't really need Whelan to protect the back 4. And the proof in that is we were still winning when Hourihane played.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But, again, if Hourihane was now brought in then he would be being dropped without having a bad game. So what's the difference?

We have several midfielders performing well. Someone has to miss out. That's how it should be!

That is the same for the whole team then i expect?

So if Jack attends the birth of his child and Bjarnason plays well in his absence. Grealish is now a bench player, yeah?

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not comparable. 

Kalinic haven't played well and it was the perfect opportunity to try Steer. The difference is Hourihane played very well, scoring goals and looked very good together with Jack and McGinn.

We look more of a attacking threat with Hourihane in the team, Mings and Hause is bossing the back 4 so i would argue we don't really need Whelan to protect the back 4. And the proof in that is we were still winning when Hourihane played.

Do you watch Villa? Like, at all? 

No, scrap that. 
Do you watch any football at all? 

Look at Man City over the last 2/3 years. Yes they have superstars like Silva, Aguero, Sterling etc. but arguably their most important player has been Fernandinho as they seemed to have struggled whenever he hasnt played.
Even if you're the best team in the world (Barcelona 5 years ago - Busquets), you always have a defensive midfielder in the team to allow the more attack minded players the freedom to play further forward. Whelan has allowed Mcginn and Grealish the space to rip teams apart in the past 3 weeks.

Our back 4 does need protection and Whelan does a great job of it. Better than Hourihane in that sense in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our back 4 does need protection and Whelan does a great job of it. Better than Hourihane in that sense in my opinion. 

Then why did we still win when Hourihane played?

Why did we beat Derby at their ground 3-0 without Whelan?

Listen i agree with you that a proper dmf being important at the top level, but i can promise you we would still win all the games if Hourihane played. It's the championship mate, we aren't playing against De Bruyne and Aguero.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Then why did we still win when Hourihane played?

Why did we beat Derby at their ground 3-0 without Whelan?

Listen i agree with you with a proper dmf being important at the top level, but i can promise you we would still win all the games if Hourihane played.

Bold, bold statement. I was at the Blackburn match the other day and Whelan was our best player for large parts of the game.
I'm not going to say we would or wouldnt have won with Hourihane in the team and certainly wouldn't promise it either way. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bold, bold statement.

Really isn't.

Hourihane offers goals, assists and good passing which is equal to what Whelan is offering. We were winning games since Jack's return when Hourihane were playing. Nothing suggests we would suddenly start losing games with him in the team.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Really isn't.

Hourihane offers goals, assists and good passing which is equal to what Whelan is offering. We were winning games since Jack's return when Hourihane were playing. Nothing suggests we would suddenly start losing games with him in the team.

It is, you promised me we would have won those games. Do you know that for sure then? That we would have beaten Blackburn with Hourihane in the team? 

Can you promise me Saturdays lottery numbers as well? 

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So if Jack attends the birth of his child and Bjarnason plays well in his absence. Grealish is now a bench player, yeah?

Yeah it's possible. 

But I think it's reasonable to assume there are exceptions to that. Grealish is by far our best player so it would be understandable if he came straight back in.

Hourihane is not.

But, for example, it happened with mcGinn. He missed a game due to a suspension and was benched for the next game. When he came on as a sub he played so well he justified him being picked for the next game.

It's healthy competition as well as sensible rotation. This is what happens when you have options. Man City have 25 players who all play well most of the time. yet they're constantly "dropped" and rotated and rested because that's what football squads do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not comparable. 

Can't help but notice you still haven't answered the question about what Whelan has done to deserve being dropped? Interesting, it's almost like you're trolling and finding whatever you possibly can to complain about, however illogical 

38 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If Bjarnasson plays better than Jack, then why not? Surely can only be good for Villa to have their best performing players in the starting 11? (Note, obviously I don't believe he would play better than Jack does consistently) also, Bjarnasson to Jack Grealish is not the same as Whelan to Hourihane, the latter are relatively similar in terms of ability (although I rate Hourihane higher mainly because of the set pieces) whereas the former 2 are light years apart

4 minutes ago, weedman said:

Can't help but notice you still haven't answered the question about what Whelan has done to deserve being dropped? Interesting, it's almost like you're trolling and finding whatever you possibly can to complain about, however illogical 

And i can't help but notice why you haven't answered the question about what Hourihane has done to deserve being dropped?

I've never said Whelan been bad, but Hourihane played as least as good as him thus did not deserved to get dropped in the first place.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It is, you promised me we would have won those games. Do you know that for sure then? That we would have beaten Blackburn with Hourihane in the team? 

Yeah i'm probably close to 99 % sure about that. There is nothing to suggests we would have lost that game if Hourihane played.

Edited by villalad21

Â