Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Brilliant today, he was like a different player with Grealish next to him. The space and time that is available to him as Grealish drags players in his direction allows him so much more freedom and time on the ball.

9 assists and 6 goals in February for a centre midfielder is a pretty great record.

Still people around in the Holte tried digging him out early on, they were then very quiet after he scored his goals. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Brilliant today, he was like a different player with Grealish next to him. The space and time that is available to him as Grealish drags players in his direction allows him so much more freedom and time on the ball.

9 assists and 6 goals in February for a centre midfielder is a pretty great record.

Still people around in the Holte tried digging him out early on, they were then very quiet after he scored his goals. 

I bet the people who cheered him off Vs West Brom feel embarrassed today and so they should as what we saw today is what Hourihane is a good player.  He isn't a defensive player you just have to look at him to see that and to play him in a defensive roll is madness.

• Like 3

Such a frustrating player. He's either brilliant of anonymous. Scores and assists plenty and was excellent yesterday. Dont think its coincidence he's much better with Jack in the side. The fact he's scores hat tricks and braces, or gets a few assists in some games proves his talent, just wish it was more consistant but I suppose thats why he doesnt play at a higher level. Well done condog not the first time he's silenced his critics.

Oh and how nice was it to see another sides glaring problems?- Derby were awful

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Such a frustrating player. He's either brilliant of anonymous. Scores and assists plenty and was excellent yesterday. Dont think its coincidence he's much better with Jack in the side. The fact he's scores hat tricks and braces, or gets a few assists in some games proves his talent, just wish it was more consistant but I suppose thats why he doesnt play at a higher level. Well done condog not the first time he's silenced his critics.

Oh and how nice was it to see another sides glaring problems?- Derby were awful

He is poor when asked to play deeper or in front of the back 4.  David Platt would have been shit being asked to do that role too. 

He needs to play high up

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Brilliant today, he was like a different player with Grealish next to him.

This is doing him a major disservice, he was my motm against stoke. He was everywhere then too.

He seems to have turned this around in his own head.

Had his quarterly good game. I don’t want to detract from what was a great performance but he’s so frustrating. 9 games out of 10 he offers absolutely nothing, can’t pass, can’t command the midfield, can’t move, can’t tackle. Replacing him would be a priority for me. We need to shore up the midfield and he’s a big part of the problem (more do a problem than Whelan I’d say who I don’t think deserves the stick he gets). I don’t really get Hourihane’s role in the team. We have a holding midfielder, we have attacking midfielders and Hourihane’s main job seems to be to occasionally get the ball then lose it and then fluff most free kicks and corners. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Thanks 1

Played as an attacking midfielder and scores two goals. Highly involved in a third. Should've got an assist had Adomah had his firing boots on. Motm had it not been for Whelan. And yes, Jack helped too. The whole team got a lift with his presence. Being as good as yesterday doesn't happen that often, but he's way way waay better than many Villans think, especially playing at his right position. And on his way to double figures in both assists and goals confirms that. Keep it coming, Connor!

The reason he played like he did yesterday is because of Smith's tactical adjustment, playing him further up the pitch and giving him the licence to run beyond the forward. Not clear to me this is his 'natural' position as I'm not aware of him playing in that sort of role for Barnsley but certainly looks like Smith has found a good solution for getting the best out of him. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Had his quarterly good game. I don’t want to detract from what was a great performance but he’s so frustrating. 9 games out of 10 he offers absolutely nothing, can’t pass, can’t command the midfield, can’t move, can’t tackle. Replacing him would be a priority for me. We need to shore up the midfield and he’s a big part of the problem (more do a problem than Whelan I’d say who I don’t think deserves the stick he gets). I don’t really get Hourihane’s role in the team. We have a holding midfielder, we have attacking midfielders and Hourihane’s main job seems to be to occasionally get the ball then lose it and then fluff most free kicks and corners. 

You don't get the role of Hourihane? He has scored 67 goals in 8 years and has loads of assists in that time. Tackling and bossing the midfield is not his game. Yesterday is exactly where he belongs as an attacking number 10. It's like Ozil, he doesn't boss or tackle either. He reminds me of Platt in the way he gets beyond and along the main striker. He can also finish well, an attribute that is vital as we can't rely on Abraham week in week out. Smith can't play Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish together. I'd leave McGinn out.

• Like 2

I think we all know where Conor is best deployed in the team and it's not where Smith had mainly been playing him. The trouble is, unless McGinn plays that defensive role, how do we fit them two plus Jack into the team? It has to be McGinn in the DM role or it just won't work. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

This is so negative about Hourihane and must include your own bias against the player.

Hourihane isnt a DM and played much further up the pitch and did well. His freekicks are fluffed often.....really??? Surely one of his main strengths. Find me a better freekick taker in this league.

Personally i have never said anything bad about him. Yesterdays performance wasnt a suprise. He is limited as a player but in a defensive sense. Cracking 2 million pound player. Long may this contibue.

• Like 1

He simply has to play further forward if he’s playing at all, he’s useless as a DM. You either need to be able to break up play or ping passes from deep and he can’t do either. He has goals in him, knows when to run in the box and for a player who’s general passing leaves much to be desired, he has an eye for the final ball. Yesterday we saw him in a position that played to his strengths, we should have McGinn in at DM with his energy, I think that’s our best set up with Jack in the team.

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

what is it now 9 assists and 6 goals,  yeah he is really crap isn't he.   However I do agree with you regarding Whelan. 

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

9 games out of 10 he offers absolutely nothing

scored or assisted in 14 of 34 games this season, ignoring passes that have lead to assists (like his great one out to Elmo for Abraham’s yesterday) that’s an ‘offers something’ rate of 41%.

Can’t pass? With the greatest of respect you’re talking absolute shite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The reason he played like he did yesterday is because of Smith's tactical adjustment, playing him further up the pitch and giving him the licence to run beyond the forward. Not clear to me this is his 'natural' position as I'm not aware of him playing in that sort of role for Barnsley but certainly looks like Smith has found a good solution for getting the best out of him. 

Most his goals for Barnsley were in the ‘Lampard’ mould, not quite a 10, coming late to the edge of the box and finding the corner.

Â