Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I still think Smith is playing him in a unfavourable role. He is more a attacking midfielder and the defensive side to him he isn't very good at. 

I don’t think he’s much good as an attacking midfielder either tbh. 

One id like to see moved on in the summer if possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think he’s much good as an attacking midfielder either tbh. 

One id like to see moved on in the summer if possible.

I think he. Knows where the back of the net is he has shown that. But I think he struggles with the slowness of our midfield. I think he would benefit playing alongside a faster younger dm than whelan or jedinak. 

I remember when he ws scoring hat tricks for us last year. I'm not sure he suits smith's style tbh. I wouldnt be suprised if he was sacrificed in the summer. We will make profit on him should we sell which is handy. I reckon we could fetch between 6-8m for him. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he. Knows where the back of the net is he has shown that. But I think he struggles with the slowness of our midfield. I think he would benefit playing alongside a faster younger dm than whelan or jedinak. 

I remember when he ws scoring hat tricks for us last year. I'm not sure he suits smith's style tbh. I wouldnt be suprised if he was sacrificed in the summer. We will make profit on him should we sell which is handy. I reckon we could fetch between 6-8m for him. 

Don’t disagree with much of that but no chance we’re getting 6-8m for him unless ‘Dr.’ Tony Xia has bought another championship club. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I reckon we could fetch between 6-8m for him. 

No chance it will be 6-8m, it's only going to be 3-4m we are going to have to pay another Championship team to take him off our hands, then they can afford the wages he will lose out on compared to what they can afford to pay him. 

I assume that's what you meant because thinking we will get a transfer fee for him is madness. 

I think we’ll need an upgrade in the Summer, he’s one of the weak links in the side I’m afraid. I think overall, he has been an astute signing but in order to improve, we’ll need someone to come in, maybe Leroy Fer or someone younger

• Like 1

These Barnsley fans all have Hourihane in their top 5 Barnsley midfielders of all-time!!?!?!http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/best-ever-barnsley-midfielders.273213/#post-2203785

2 - Conor Hourihane - Started out as a Howard/Butterfield, a number 10. Left as a complete midfielder. The definitive closest thing to Redfearn we've had since. By the time he departed (and we cried), his tackling and defensive skills were the stand-out moments for me, not the world-class set-pieces. A leader of men, ultra professional beyond belief, trust me. One of a kind. Seeing him lift that trophy at Wembley (Oxford) is my second favourite memory behind the '97 promotion.

So what has gone wrong? The player I see at Villa is a budget Gylfi Sigurdsson - very talented on set pieces, long shots, etc. but ineffective in open play. Good highlight reels, no tenacity, bad link-up play.

I don't think these fans can all be wrong. Of course, they mostly saw him in League One, but he did well for them in a decent chunk of a Championship season.

Before someone jumps in, I also don't think we can blame Smith here - Smith has started him in game after game, and tweaked the formation and selection several times to try and accommodate him. Most of the problems are mistakes and bad execution - misplaced passes, soft tackles, lack of tracking, etc.

I don't want to go too deep into his relationships or family life, but I don't think he has settled down yet, and has previously dated a Miss Britain who now appears on TOWIE. Is he easily distracted by the perks of being a footballer? Has someone screwed with his head? He wouldn't be the first footballer to go down that road.

So I just wonder if something is up with him mentally. Either he's decided he wants out very early into DS's tenure, or he's got some other issue going on that is affecting his play. We definitely haven't seen what those Barnsley fans have seen.

Whatever it is, I really hope he finds some form again soon.

• Like 4

Like a lot of players he seems better alongside Jack and when we are playing on the front foot.  He just doesnt have great physical attributes, which makes it look like he doesnt care when really it's just his game.  He's on course for 10 goals again, though McGinn will probably take his place anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

So much better in his natural role. Grealish brings the best out of everyone.

He's played up there enough, just doesn't do much when the team isn't playing well.

I'd bring McGinn back in for him next week. Blues away much more of a McGinn match than Hourihane match. Conor done fine work making it hard to drop him though.

• Like 1

The goals are secondary, he actually played with a hunger today. Closing people for real, not just trotting side to side and standing off people. Sprinting out to people,sprinting into space.. Playing at the tempo Smith demands, not his own I will jog around and play at my tempo.

Maybe it was Jack. Maybe it was that he was more advanced and in a more familiar position. I don't think that is just it...he has had a wake up call. You can talk about the boo boys all you like ( I am not one of them) but his performances have been nowhère near good enough and they let him know.

• Like 3

On 25/02/2019 at 05:19, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we’ll need an upgrade in the Summer, he’s one of the weak links in the side I’m afraid. I think overall, he has been an astute signing but in order to improve, we’ll need someone to come in, maybe Leroy Fer or someone younger

All sounded reasonable until Leroy Fer

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Jeered off last time at VP. 2 goals today. Very pleased for him. He really didn't deserve that stick

that stick is looking pretty ,sick.

trouble is when a player has a mare or a bad spell, we all look for reasons.....and they are not always obvious.

however, what a way to shut us up.....and that is the right way, top marks to him for being positive...even if jack was a big influence on his game.

I wasn't there today..off sick....but I hope the crowd give him praise, when he deserved it.

Edited by TRO

I've been his harshest critic and at times felt real anger towards him. I didn't agree with him being booed, but I could understand fans frustrations. Since those things have happened he's been like a different player. Was good at Stoke and even better today. Not Just the two goals he scored but the all round impact he had and combativeness he showed.

Can only say fair play for bouncing back after what happened in the last home match and I hope he can continue doing the same.

42 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

2 goals and made the through ball pass to Elmo who gave Tammy the tap in. Not bad for a guy terrified to make a forward pass.

Would have been great if would try and do it when Grealish isn't running the match next to him.

Hope he keeps scoring and raising his value.

Â