Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

I hear the views that Conor has not been the same since Jacks been out.....it may be so but it throws up another view.

Was he hiding behind Jack?

If we are to get out of this league....there is absolutely no room for passengers.....every player has to be at it 24/7.

Its an indictment in itself to suggest such a thing as true as it may be.

We already have wingers who's contribution is debatable....thats 3 already....we are killing the contributors.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He was really, really poor today. He made a couple of mistakes and then his head dropped. No one works harder than Conor Hourihane to get to three yards away from a player then no closer - it's difficult, players who are naturally aggressive, tacklers and battlers, can get a crowd back onside with a bit of graft, a bit of grit, a tackle, putting their body on the line - Conor hasn't really got that in him, so when the things he's good at aren't going well, he can't escape the criticism of the crowd through other parts of his game. His head's gone at the moment, he looks like he has to think about everything, and nothing is going right. He's a bit lost.

The problem for him is that he's the only person who can do anything about that - it's not a question of an arm around the shoulder from the Holte End, it's a question of the size of your nuts Conor - salvation will not come from without, it's a matter of the strength of his will.

A very good resume...

..at the moment sadly, he is a liability, but he don't pick himself, we have to remember that.

I would put that on the dressing room wall at BMH

The biggest annoyance form yesterday isn’t about his ability. It’s the way he reacted to being replaced. 

How many times do you see bonded teams making tactical subs and the players sprint off, high five and give each other encouragement for the good of the team? Support your manager’s decision & give a 17 year old debutant your blessing.  Hourihane did not react this way. 

Unfortunaltely this is not the only indicator that our squad has serious issues getting along with one another. 

The same thing happened when we got relegated. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, arkasaurus said:

The biggest annoyance form yesterday isn’t about his ability. It’s the way he reacted to being replaced. 

How many times do you see bonded teams making tactical subs and the players sprint off, high five and give each other encouragement for the good of the team? Support your manager’s decision & give a 17 year old debutant your blessing.  Hourihane did not react this way. 

Unfortunaltely this is not the only indicator that our squad has serious issues getting along with one another. 

The same thing happened when we got relegated. 

He reacted like that because a significant proportion of the stadium was cheering when they realised he was coming off, it wasn’t a nice atmosphere.

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He reacted like that because a significant proportion of the stadium was cheering when they realised he was coming off, it wasn’t a nice atmosphere.

But what comes first the chicken or the egg.......he was the architect of his own demise, the fans were frustrated, despite me thinking they were wrong in their reaction to him, but Imv Dean should of had him off before he did.....and having him walk the whole width of the pitch was poorly thought through......should have hooked him, closer to the dug out.......as for Conor, should be working day and night to add value to his game.

People have totally missed the point. 

The truth is we were 2-0 down and he was strolling off the pitch.

The abuse started because of this. He should of sprinted off . 2-0 down to your hateful neighbours. imagine stevie G doing that for liverpool against everton?

just get off the pitch asap and let someone come on to try and get us back in the game.

There were a few sarcastic jeers at smith for finally putting hourihane out of his misery. He was bossed all game by the 40 year old pisshead garry barry but the gist is his shameful action in not running straight off the pitch were boo'd and rightly so.

The top story on newsnow is horrible absolute disgraceful villa fans turn on international midfielder!

what a pish take!

I bet Conner Hourihane has been crying all day whilst polishing his bugatti veyron.

Been trying to work out what's going on with Hourihane. This whole podcast is interesting, but listen to 4:48 here on Dean Smith's attention to detail and Villa's attacking football. Makes me wonder if Hourihane's problem is nothing to do with DS, but more to do with him being a bit soft when things turn against him. With Grealish out and no decent water carriers in the side, Hourihane is exposed, and he can't handle the pressure. I still think he's a decent footballer in the right setup, but despite having the same accent as Roy Keane, he clearly lacks any of his fight.

Think the cheers weren't for hourihane getting taken off but for Ramsey coming on. 

Any negativity was for his "we're 3 up not 2 down" stroll off the pitch. 

Happy to slate the fans when we act badly, I actually think a lot of the players including hourihane are getting off quite lightly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Was great at Barnsley wasn't he? Has he just been 'aston villa'd' by us?

was he? or did we just see the highlights of his wonder goals? as attractive as they are.

The things that are not to our liking,now..... was they being done at Barnsley ?....was he properly scouted?.....or was his goals and assists just a camouflage? and his overall game ignored.

Conor has no doubt a great left peg.....but when I see a player a 38 like Barry control the midfield, it highlights how inadequate Conor is.

I hear all the claims ,its not his game and all that stuff......Midfield players have to be involved and make a mark.....its an area of High Industry as a pre- requisite and his lack of pace is another inhibiting factor.

I don't think we can keep blaming the club for their form, they have to take a good proportion of the responsibility for that.....maybe the recruitment, yes....we need to do better IMO

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Merson08 said:

2 million pound player plays like a 2 million pound player. 

shock, horror and suprise! 

There are plenty of examples where that is simply not so.

Check out Norwich's team .....most are Free Transfers

e.g David Platt cost £250,000 and played like a £10,000,0000 player even then.....so did Andy Gray.

We have rakes of examples of great business we had done.....its just the last 10 years its gone down the toilet.

Ever since Lerner came in and we thought we had money....we have just took route one and squandered it.

Doug Ellis might have been a tight old git and many other things...but he made the scouts and coaches work for their money.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are plenty of examples where that is simply not so.

Check out Norwich's team .....most are Free Transfers

e.g David Platt cost £250,000 and played like a £10,000,0000 player even then.....so did Andy Gray.

We have rakes of examples of great business we had done.....its just the last 10 years its gone down the toilet.

Ever since Lerner came in and we thought we had money....we have just took route one and squandered it.

Doug Ellis might have been a tight old git and many other things...but he made the scouts and coaches work for their money.

Oh I aren't doubting that there is value for money out there in players. Potential low fee players with a good return on investment.

I was just highlighting the fact that many fans get annoyed with Hourihane in the team and his performances. He performs like a 2M player and that's what we paid for him. We can't really expect more for a player with limited capabilities but playing with a good enough performance that also reflects the value paid for him. It's hard to be annoyed with him. He gives what I would expect him to give.  

7 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Oh I aren't doubting that there is value for money out there in players. Potential low fee players with a good return on investment.

I was just highlighting the fact that many fans get annoyed with Hourihane in the team and his performances. He performs like a 2M player and that's what we paid for him. We can't really expect more for a player with limited capabilities but playing with a good enough performance that also reflects the value paid for him. It's hard to be annoyed with him. He gives what I would expect him to give.  

Yeah, I see the context of your point ,sorry.

Was only one person to blame for the fans cheering when Hourihane was taken off and that was Smith.  He has been awful for the past 10 games and he shouldn't have been on.  It was the fans way of telling Smith that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Was only one person to blame for the fans cheering when Hourihane was taken off and that was Smith.  He has been awful for the past 10 games and he shouldn't have been on.  It was the fans way of telling Smith that.

Our midfield options for the last few weeks are Whelan, McGinn, Jedinak, Hourihane, Bjarnason and now young Ramsey

hardly anybody challenging for the jersey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

So Conor Hourihane shouldn’t be to blame? Players need to stand up and take responsibility for their own performances, it’s too easy to hide behind a manager. 

• Like 1

Â