Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

I didn't think he was very good but could have put the icing on the cake with that shot that rattled the bar.

About 60 minutes in Sky put a graphic up that he'd had the least touches of anyone on the pitch. I think it was 13.

• Like 1

We were in shock, we were trying to defend Jack. You know, give a little sly one to the pitch invader at the same time. It was one of those crazy ones.

He had an interview on Irish radio this morning but I liked this quote. Rest of the interview is mainly just praising Jack

https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/otb-exclusive-conor-hourihane-slams-idiot-struck-jack-grealish-836099

He played good, he seemed to be there ehen was needed and his rattler off the bar, well i thought it was hulk kicking a ball and the cross bar was going to snap.

He does get some stick, think If fans calmed down on him abit, he might actually come into the game even more.

Would I let him stay at villa in the summer if there was potential to bring better in, I don't know with Hourihane, it all depends on how he performs rest of the season.

When Jack is fit and playing, we need someone like Hourihane in the team. When Jack takes all the pressure and attention, Conor sneaks in between the lines and pops up with great opportunities. 

• Like 2

"Give a couple of sly ones in on the guy who attacked Jack". You can say many things about this guy and this team, but one of them should always be they have spirit and courage and fight for each other. 

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

When Jack is fit and playing, we need someone like Hourihane in the team. When Jack takes all the pressure and attention, Conor sneaks in between the lines and pops up with great opportunities. 

Like what Alf Ramsey called Martin Peters...." The Ghost" .....He wasn't an Alan Ball or a Nobby Stiles....just like Conor is not a John McGinn or a Jack.

They all have their individual roles that are different.

Edited by TRO

I thought he did ok. Tendency on villa talk that we paper over a players performance as long as we win then nail them when we lose. He assisted for Hause's goal. Pretty quiet other than that. If im brutally honest, and ya have to be because complacency is what will derail this whole thing if it goes tits up, I thought he bottled it and pulled out of a tackle with lolley in the lead up to the opener. Look, im delighted we won. Just saying what i see and entitled to my opinion. FWIW, Tammy was poor tonight i thought.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I thought he did ok. Tendency on villa talk that we paper over a players performance as long as we win then nail them when we lose. He assisted for Hause's goal. Pretty quiet other than that. If im brutally honest, and ya have to be because complacency is what will derail this whole thing if it goes tits up, I thought he bottled it and pulled out of a tackle with lolley in the lead up to the opener. Look, im delighted we won. Just saying what i see and entitled to my opinion. FWIW, Tammy was poor tonight i thought.

Agreed on all of this.  He kept things ticking over in the middle though so not a bad performance.

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Agreed on all of this.  He kept things ticking over in the middle though so not a bad performance.

Don't use 'the Westwood phrase' unless you want it all to kick off big style.

• Haha 1

I think he’s really good. He’s not a holding midfielder and when asked to play further back has often been exposed. But in a creative and more attacking role I think he’s great. Glad he’s playing for us rather than against us.

Still pinching myself that we got him a for what was it; £3m!? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Goals and assists. If he was better at other things he wouldn't be here and we wouldn't of signed him. 

It's a mental thing I think. He has it in his locker, sometimes you see him hitting great passes, closing players down and making tackles (usually when Grealish is in the team and confidence is high). When it's not he tends to play it safe, and he ends up just being ineffectual. If he gets his mentality right he can be a top player. Not many midfielders in England getting close to 20 goals + assists every season.

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

Perfect complimentary player for Jack, one gets the free kicks the other delivers em!

you're right

The thing is Nige its only when 11 players are different or not the same....do we get  a TEAM.

Edited by TRO

Â