Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Looked to me that it went right in the bottom corner. 

I really don't think it was bottom corner. From where i was sitting i could tell it didn't hit the side netting first, for example.

That's not to say it was saveable. I don't know if it was. Was hard to tell at the game and hard to tell from the highlights so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I am not convinced by this guy as our number one for next season, but admit I only have highlights to judge him on. I would say he hasn't pulled off any worldies or made me think wow what a save from the highlights I have seen.

A couple of questions for those that see him regularly, does he command his area well? Does he organise the defence in front of him? The reason I ask is these are things that may not come across in brief highlight reels.

17 hours ago, NeilS said:

I am not convinced by this guy as our number one for next season, but admit I only have highlights to judge him on. I would say he hasn't pulled off any worldies or made me think wow what a save from the highlights I have seen.

A couple of questions for those that see him regularly, does he command his area well? Does he organise the defence in front of him? The reason I ask is these are things that may not come across in brief highlight reels.

He doesn't command his area at all. I believe it was Derby where they played a ball over the top and it bounced on the six yard line, he just stood on his line. Mental. 

Only game I've really been close enough to hear him would've been Brentford away and I didn't hear a peep out of him. Compare that to Bunn, who you can hear barking out orders every five seconds. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

He doesn't command his area at all. I believe it was Derby where they played a ball over the top and it bounced on the six yard line, he just stood on his line. Mental. 

Only game I've really been close enough to hear him would've been Brentford away and I didn't hear a peep out of him. Compare that to Bunn, who you can hear barking out orders every five seconds. 

Thanks for the info. So no real redeemable features at all for a GK then. I am struggling to see why he was highly rated as he doesn't appear to have great reflexes or shot stopping ability. I can only hope that we can bring someone else who is better in over the summer.

around 60mins he punched a ball clear, the 3 closest players to him were all Villa players, for the next 3 mins we didnt touch the ball and only regained possesion when their striker fluffed from the 6yrd box and the ball went out for a Goalkick.

The goal that rebounded off the bar - he was OUTSIDE of the goal posts when the striker (miss)kicked the rebound and went in. I havent seen something like that since Postma.

I'm not blaming him for the goal. Let's just get the straight from the off.

But check out the position he is in when lambasting the defenders on the 1st goal. Not only is he wide of the goal but he is off the bloody pitch!

You are a brave keeper shouti g at defenders when the ball is in your net and you aren't even on the pitch.

I don't think I've ever seen that before.

I was sat next to a Man U fan at the Fulham game.

I'll let that sink in for a bit.  I was sat in with the Fulham fans (big up to the away fans btw.  All the Fulham fans around me were both impressed with the noise and the humor coming from you all.  Best away fans this year seemed to be the consensus).  Anyway without digressing further, I was asked by the Man U fan what I thought of Johnstone.  I considered my answer at length then described him as the worst goalkeeper I have ever seen at the club.  I've only been going since the 80's so my knowledge really starts with Spink and goes from there.  The Man U knobber name checked a few people he thought may be worse, Enkleman came up.  I think Enkleman made the worst mistake I have seen from a villa keeper, but IMO is still a better keeper.  Kiraly also came up, and I had to think about that one a bit, but I would still pick him over Johnstone if they were both available for the derby.  So to sum up, I really hope that we don't make his move permanent.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Straggler said:

I was sat next to a Man U fan at the Fulham game.

I'll let that sink in for a bit.  I was sat in with the Fulham fans (big up to the away fans btw.  All the Fulham fans around me were both impressed with the noise and the humor coming from you all.  Best away fans this year seemed to be the consensus).  Anyway without digressing further, I was asked by the Man U fan what I thought of Johnstone.  I considered my answer at length then described him as the worst goalkeeper I have ever seen at the club.  I've only been going since the 80's so my knowledge really starts with Spink and goes from there.  The Man U knobber name checked a few people he thought may be worse, Enkleman came up.  I think Enkleman made the worst mistake I have seen from a villa keeper, but IMO is still a better keeper.  Kiraly also came up, and I had to think about that one a bit, but I would still pick him over Johnstone if they were both available for the derby.  So to sum up, I really hope that we don't make his move permanent.

I think only Carson runs him close in recent memory. 

• Like 1

Awful keeper. His clean sheets were down to us playing even shitter teams than us and our defence/midfield snuffing out the chances.

We  suddenly play two decent sides who have shots on target and we concede 3 in each. 

Next keeper please.

• Like 2

On 17/04/2017 at 18:11, dudevillaisnice said:

I still want an experienced keeper. Hope Jose blocks the move. 

I'd prefer it if Bruce decided against pursuing a permanent move. It would give me a wee bit of confidence that our Manager knows what a goalkeeper looks like ;)

Â