Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

He punched one ball he should have caught and I did think what on earth are you doing the lad. 

Other than that I thought he was flawless. Commanding. Dealt with a couple of ropey back passes as well. 

Funny how we see the game differently. He has grown on me. 7 clean sheets in 8 will do that eh.

• Like 1

Its great news that he is getting better, but I still cant get excited about him if he is only going to be here for another nine games.

• Like 3

I did shit myself when Matt Smith came on as I saw a siege of balls into the box, which didn't quite happen. Those that did he coped well with but yes, a ridiculous decision to punch a cross from their right wing when free from anyone and it was just a floater. I think he had already made a decision if it was coming in he was punching it.

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He punched one ball he should have caught and I did think what on earth are you doing the lad. 

There were three poor punches, but one would have been a tough catch so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The first one was in the first half. Long, aimless ball straight at him, he could have caught it into his chest let alone above his head and he punched it, poorly, straight down the middle of the pitch to one of their players and they launched another attack.

The second was a high cross towards the end of the game which he weakly punched out for a corner. Benefit of the doubt on this one as it would have been a tough catch but I still think a better keeper would have caught it.

The third was from that corner. The ball came straight at him from the delivery, straight down his throat, and he punched it right back at the corner taker who delivered another dangerous cross resulting in another corner.

Ironically he took a very good catch right at the end of the game, so he is capable. But that good catch demonstrates exactly why he needs to catch it more in those situations. It just immediately relieved all the pressure, everyone was able to reset and we cleared the ball downfield. The other punches he relieved no pressure, and in fact invited it on by giving it straight back to their player in a dangerous area.

He didn't do much wrong for the rest of the game, but bar that catch I mentioned I'm not sure he had anything remotely testing to do.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He didn't do much wrong for the rest of the game, but bar that catch I mentioned I'm not sure he had anything remotely testing to do.

Thinking about it since he joined us I don't think he has generally had much to do in any of the games apart from maybe against Newcastle. The problem was that when he was called upon he let us down wheras now he is coming good and looking much more assured.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to see it again but I thought the first goal today went straight through him.

Apart from that and a very weird save with his feet in the second half I thought he had a decent game. His distribution was much better, he was looking for the shorter options much more often and much quicker today which was nice to see.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd have to see it again but I thought the first goal today went straight through him.

Apart from that and a very weird save with his feet in the second half I thought he had a decent game. His distribution was much better, he was looking for the shorter options much more often and much quicker today which was nice to see.

Looked to me that it went right in the bottom corner. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure if it went through him but I thought it was a saveable shot and was disappointed to see it go in. 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's a thoroughly average keeper who's blunders early cost us a shot at the playoffs, can't wait to see the back of him. 

Wouldn't be so sure that he's not going to be back next season .

i would prefer a more experienced keeper though .

Edited by Eastie

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Just don't rate him. I know people that matter at Villa do, and highly, but I just don't see it.

That's a worry Trent, I share the same view as you and think an experienced keeper should be at the top of our summer list

Edited by mykeyb

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Not sure if it went through him but I thought it was a saveable shot and was disappointed to see it go in. 

This is the issue with him. Yeah, he's cut out the howlers lately, but he doesnt save anything. Seems like any shot on target goes in. 

He played well at Wigan, but in the other 7 games of our good run, he only made about 12 saves. So short of our defenders not allowing a shot on goal, I'm not sure how we'll succeed with him

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Really hope some other club comes in for him.

What club's are currently managed by ex Man U people?

Sunderland said to be interested in him if Pickford moves on but who the **** would want to go there ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

Sunderland said to be interested in him if Pickford moves on but who the **** would want to go there ;)

That would be perfect for so many reasons :D

• Like 2

Â