Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I can't think of games where he's cost us - definitely mistakes (they slip my mind, but I remember him making a few), but games?  Maybe that Wolves game?  Although, also terrible tracking by the midfield.

£3m for a 24 year old goalkeeper really isn't that much - not that I'm saying we should buy him, but it wouldn't bother me at that price.  I know you've cited the Championship record fee for a goalkeeper before, but this era is unparalleled when it comes to the amount of money clubs have.

He doesn't have to have cost us games to be poor. If you're honestly telling me you don't think he was poor before our recent run of games then fair enough, but our opinions are way, way off so we're unlikely to ever agree.

Bottom line for me is IF we sign him then I hope his current upturn in form continues and I'll back him all the way.
However, based on his overall form for us, I think it'd be a huge gamble to sign him. Not so much for the fee, it IS a big fee for a goalkeeper in this league, but that's beside the point. For me the biggest risk is entrusting our number 1 spot in our big promotion season to a goalkeeper of the standard he's shown for us. Again, if that standard stays where it is now, it won't be a problem. But that's a big risk in my book.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I can't think of games where he's cost us - definitely mistakes (they slip my mind, but I remember him making a few), but games?  Maybe that Wolves game?  Although, also terrible tracking by the midfield.

£3m for a 24 year old goalkeeper really isn't that much - not that I'm saying we should buy him, but it wouldn't bother me at that price.  I know you've cited the Championship record fee for a goalkeeper before, but this era is unparalleled when it comes to the amount of money clubs have.

Forest. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He doesn't have to have cost us games to be poor. If you're honestly telling me you don't think he was poor before our recent run of games then fair enough, but our opinions are way, way off so we're unlikely to ever agree.

Bottom line for me is IF we sign him then I hope his current upturn in form continues and I'll back him all the way.
However, based on his overall form for us, I think it'd be a huge gamble to sign him. Not so much for the fee, it IS a big fee for a goalkeeper in this league, but that's beside the point. For me the biggest risk is entrusting our number 1 spot in our big promotion season to a goalkeeper of the standard he's shown for us. Again, if that standard stays where it is now, it won't be a problem. But that's a big risk in my book.

No, of course - he was certainly poor for a spell and his confidence looked completely shot.  It seems to be getting back to a decent standard (he apparently had a good game against Wigan).  Some criticisms are just strange, though.  People moan at him for punching the ball - literally nothing wrong with this at all!  It's only a bad thing if you're failing to clear your lines.

I think Rob Green (for example, not the certainty) would be a bigger gamble than Sam Johnstone next season, though.

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Forest. 

The late winner game?  Certainly their first goal was a clanger from him.  The winner was down to an error by Chester, though.

Edit:  Going to add Wolves, too.  Woeful midfield tracking, but he parried it out to the oncoming attacker I think.

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This kind of amnesia around keepers costing us this season set in with Gollini too. 

Joint 5th best defence in the division.  Joint 5th worst attack.

It's all the goalkeepers' fault!

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No, of course - he was certainly poor for a spell and his confidence looked completely shot.  It seems to be getting back to a decent standard (he apparently had a good game against Wigan).  Some criticisms are just strange, though.  People moan at him for punching the ball - literally nothing wrong with this at all!  It's only a bad thing if you're failing to clear your lines.

Which is the problem, he often doesn't clear his lines. Of course sometimes a punch is fine. But I've seen Johnstone punch (or rather attempt to punch) the ball in completely bizarre situations. The high ball vs Derby where he eventually got fouled is a prime example.

Edited by Stevo985

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's all the goalkeepers' fault!

No-one ever said or implied that.  That makes a balls of the discussion tbh.

• Like 2

We either need him to sign permanently and stick with him, hoping he'll grow with us when we get promoted, like Tom Heaton for example. 

Or we need a different short term keeper to get us out of this league and we can splash out on a decent keeper for the Prem once we're there. 

If he's not good enough for the Prem or he's only ever going to be a loanee, there's no point having him in my view 

• Like 2

Johnstone has said that it took him a while to get up to speed with getting regular game time.  Training is not the same as match time and he wasn't ready.  I think his current form is a better indicator of his level - hopefully that will continue for the rest of the season.  I'm on the fence really, but assuming we do have the option to buy him, there's a lot to be said for sticking with him if we finish the season well.  With Bunn's contract finishing we could bring in someone with more experience as a back-up / competition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

No-one ever said or implied that.  That makes a balls of the discussion tbh.

Surely the statement "keepers costing us" is implying that it's the fault of our goalkeepers that we're not better off?  As in, they have directly cost us.

Maybe I read the implication incorrectly.

Edited by bobzy

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

The late winner game?  Certainly their first goal was a clanger from him.  The winner was down to an error by Chester, though.

That late winner might not happen at all if he doesn't throw one in. Hypothetically of course. 

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This kind of amnesia around keepers costing us this season set in with Gollini too. 

Not really amnesia. Most people seem to remember his early form. 

It is known for players to go through dodgy patches of form. If you binned them off every time they cost you points you'd have no squad left, particularly at this level.

Personally I'd rather look forward than back, I don't see much point in it. If his recent form continues to the end of the season then I'm probably going to be up for signing him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The sure thing is that Chester Baker Taylor Bree & Jedi's understanding is that the guy behind them

doesnt come off his line, doesnt catch the ball, tries to punch it, doesnt save shots and his kicking is shite

What about Jedi's back pass Vs Wigan, Johnstone saved his hoop with a cracking save. 

Once you've made your mind up that really is it, isn't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What about Jedi's back pass Vs Wigan, Johnstone saved his hoop with a cracking save. 

Once you've made your mind up that really is it, isn't it?

backpass was asking for trouble, so you can argue that SJ did well.

1 summer makes a swallow

So I'll need a lot more to change my mind

I don't see the attraction at this stage, but if we do bring him in permanently we'll probably be looking to bring in another keep also with Bunn out of contract, Steer coming off a long term injury & Gollini on loan. Either that or we will be relying on a youth keeper stepping up (Sarkic? Johansson?).

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not really amnesia. Most people seem to remember his early form. 

It is known for players to go through dodgy patches of form. If you binned them off every time they cost you points you'd have no squad left, particularly at this level.

Personally I'd rather look forward than back, I don't see much point in it. If his recent form continues to the end of the season then I'm probably going to be up for signing him.

Yeah, to hell with holding people accountable.  Let's just all think positive thoughts.  

He was not good enough for a long spell. Has been better recently.  Jury is out on the future. 

34 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Yeah, to hell with holding people accountable.  Let's just all think positive thoughts.  

He was not good enough for a long spell. Has been better recently.  Jury is out on the future. 

Long spell? He's played 13 league games, conceded 15 and kept 5 clean sheets. It's not astounding but it's solid enough. 

People will harp on about how the team and defence have been better of late but won't mention how the team and defence were at times atrocious during the win-less spell. 

His good record, numbers wise is slightly shorter than the bad but the bad is referred to as the norm and his good as short and just 'recently'. 

Maybe he should be judged as a whole rather than the start where he joined a mess rebuilding and now, a more coherent team. 

I'm not for or against Johnstone but he does get far more of a pasting than he deserves in my view, hence why I argue more for him on here. 

• Like 1

If a goalie makes 3 brilliant saves then lets one roll in between his legs he's rubbish. If a striker misses 3 sitters then scores the winner, he's brilliant. It's always been that way, that's why you have to be mad to be in goal!

• Like 1

Â