Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

5 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Long spell? He's played 13 league games, conceded 15 and kept 5 clean sheets. It's not astounding but it's solid enough. 

Agree on the long spell stuff, but he's not been solid enough.

He HAS been solid enough for the past 5 games or so. But before that he was anything but solid.

I think all people are saying is we haven't seen enough to be confident he'll continue at his current form.

Even in this little run of "good form" he hasnt dominated his box, he has flapped at crosses, his kicking remains p1ss poor...

He has made a few routine saves which he was failing to do at times in his bad run, but I haven't seen anything to convince me he is the answer to our goalie problems

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

Even in this little run of "good form" he hasnt dominated his box, he has flapped at crosses, his kicking remains p1ss poor...

He has made a few routine saves which he was failing to do at times in his bad run, but I haven't seen anything to convince me he is the answer to our goalie problems

Well if he keeps notching up clean sheets, suuuuuuuuuurely you will need to give him a chance. 

26 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I had to employ a guy once to keep up the quota for a contract because I had people on the sick list.

I literally put him "in goal" and let the others do the job

That. Is. Awesome.

On 30/03/2017 at 12:38, Stevo985 said:

Yep I don't disagree with any of this.

My point really was BECAUSE it's such a small sample size, they'd have to be really outstanding performances for me to think "yes this kid is special"

If he'd been putting the level of performance he's shown for the past few games in for a whole season then I'd be right on board with signing him up.

But based on a such a small sample of games, unless he'd put in some amazing performances, it's not enough for me to be convinced that THAT is the norm and he won't revert to being basically a liability.

I'm not saying he will regress, all I'm saying is it would be a gamble to spend £3m on him based on the past few games alone.

Agreed with this. 

The Wigan game he had a lot of work to do and dealt with it. The other 5 games he made a combined total of 8 saves and let in a really soft goal. The idea that he's been much improved lately simply isn't true for me, it's that he's had nothing to do. 

The Wigan game being the difference. He had a lot to do and he did it well. If that form continues, great, but I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of needing him to make more than 2 or 3 saves a game, personally. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sne said:

I'll be very surprised if he isn't our starting keeper next season.

I'll be equally surprised if that turns out to be a good decision.

I think he will be our number 1 next season too

Edited by KHV

On 31/03/2017 at 01:43, srsmithusa said:

Yeah, to hell with holding people accountable.  Let's just all think positive thoughts.  

He was not good enough for a long spell. Has been better recently.  Jury is out on the future. 

Is that what you took from my post? 

Odd.

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Mostly good today, a couple of nice stops. Kicking is still awful though. If his kicking is the only thing to complain about, that's a positive I suppose. 

I mean you're 100% right, but he did kick it to get an assist today haha

Just now, carewjust4u said:

I mean you're 100% right, but he did kick it to get an assist today haha

True. It wasnt necessarily a poor kick, but he overhit it. 

If I'm being overly picky, he got lucky with that header on the edge of the box, another day and he could've been punished. But that is being picky. 

That double save in the first half was superb. 

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

True. It wasnt necessarily a poor kick, but he overhit it. 

If I'm being overly picky, he got lucky with that header on the edge of the box, another day and he could've been punished. But that is being picky. 

That double save in the first half was superb. 

I also so think he did well at coming for crosses/ariel balls today, something he's been very poor at before.

On 31/03/2017 at 10:52, Grasshopper said:

I had to employ a guy once to keep up the quota for a contract because I had people on the sick list.

I literally put him "in goal" and let the others do the job

Literally? Do you run a football club? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Mostly good today, a couple of nice stops. Kicking is still awful though. If his kicking is the only thing to complain about, that's a positive I suppose. 

and the assist;)

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was immense today, far and away his best performance in the shirt. Won absolutely everything that came within his range and an assist to cap it off.

Very well done. 

I was very critical in his early games but he's won me over - there are still some yet to be won over though , not only with Sam but with Bruce too.

when did we last win 6 in 7 conceding one goal ? 

• Like 1

Â