Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Didn't do anything wrong tonight. Nice confident keeper who isn't scared to get us moving quickly with long throws and good passes out. Incredible save to tip their free kick over. Couldn't do anything about their goals. Only reservation is he looks a little slow to go to ground for saves.

I was right behind the 3rd goal and really it was a very well place shot from Bradshaw....through several defenders aswell.

2nd goal though I felt he dived very slowly.

He's not great though and really no better than Gollini was.

I'm baffled Alan McGregor, a keeper Bruce signed for Hull was available and went to Cardiff this window.

We really need an experienced keeper not another kid.

• Like 1

There must be something in the fact that since he's arrived at the club (and started every game) we have lost all but one, drawing the other and conceded a shed load of goals. 

Its certainly no coincidence is it??? 

He must be dropped (a bit like his shot stopping)

9 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

We let go of a keeper who'll probably end up playing for Italy for this clown. 

Nothing to do with Johnstone, but we didn't let Gollini go like it was our decision. He wanted to leave.

8 hours ago, KSV said:

Hes not getting near the goals.. i can understand sometimes the shot is too good.. but in all his games.. hes barely made a save unless it was at him. Awful awful awful keeper. 

Agreed. Just because a goal you concede isn't an error doesn't necessarily make it okay. Bunn isn't very good but still made saves that wouldn't have been his fault if it went in, like Burton last minute. 

• Like 1

So he's a averaging 2 goals conceded per game and saving 1.67 shots per game. That's 0.8 saves per goal, even Gollini had 2.2 saves per goal  and they're pretty poor stats. He's saving far less than half the shots against him, I've never seen such awful goalkeeper stats. Does anyone know if Jed Steer is back in training yet?

Edited by stegzy

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothing to do with Johnstone, but we didn't let Gollini go like it was our decision. He wanted to leave.

Gollini was an appalling keeper. Let's not pretend he was anything else just because Johnstone is also rubbish.  Why we didn't sign McGregor I'll never know. There's something not quite right about this loan deal. 

I've said it before, but if Leeds go up, throw a contract at Rob Green.

He's not a very fashionable name, he won't be someone for the future who we can sell for 10 million quid in a couple of seasons.

But he'll do a good enough job for a season or two to get us up, will come here assuming Leeds aren't desperate to keep him, and won't be very expensive.

In fact he's out of contract in the summer, so even if Leeds don't go up he might be attainable, and on a free.

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Gollini was an appalling keeper. Let's not pretend he was anything else just because Johnstone is also rubbish.  Why we didn't sign McGregor I'll never know. There's something not quite right about this loan deal. 

Nah, he isn't.

• Like 1

The (big part of the) problem is that our attack isn't helping out at all.

There have been numerous errors by numerous goalkeepers this season - including ours (obvs) - but we just don't score to "even it out".  Look at Karl Darlow against Norwich last night, complete air shot but Newcastle still scored twice so it wasn't a major problem.

We've spent about £40m on strikers this season and have scored the second fewest goals in the league (30) - only Wigan (29) are worse, and they're newly promoted.  On the flip side, only Fulham have a better defensive record than us outside the top 6 - and even then, a whole heap of our conceded goals recently have been down to some **** comical defending from our centre halves, not because of our keeper.

If we score goals and pick up points from games, the odd goalkeeping mistake which invariably happens at almost every club just wouldn't matter anywhere near as much.

Instead, it's fashionable to jump on Gollini/Bunn/Johnstone/whoever is next as "being shit".

• Like 1

If this was Jed Steer I wouldnt be so angry as at least he was our player, Johnstone isnt so bloody drop him who cares about his confidence etc.

The Defence is fragile as they have no confidence with the man behind them.  A defence will play confidently if they know that if a shot gets through it probably be saved, our defence plays thinking oh shit we cant let a shot through.

The Best Villa Teams had a good confident goalie behind them - Jimmy Rimmer, Spink, Bosnich, Friedal.

Defense becomes confident and solid and that allows the midfielders to play knowing they have a solid back up and onwards to the forwards, who can play with freedom.

I have said previously I do not like or rate Bunn, He gave me panic attacks against Notts County last year which I think was his debut but he needs to come in.

Johnstone may be a good goalie but he isnt ready for what we need and we need it now.

If you're shit, you're shit.

There is no diguising it.

SJ is shit

But more importantly, the knock effect of him being shit is the insecurity is causes infront of him. Add the fact that Hutton is shit, Amavi has become shit, what do you expect? Shit?

Furthermore, the protection the defence no longer has in the form of Jedi, leads to an overload of responsibility on our only 2 good defender, causing them to be guess what? Shit.

Now add the fact that our wingers struggle to help our shit fullbacks what is the outcome of our defensive play at both the middle and the 2 sides? shit.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but our "progressive/transitional" play doesnt suit our forwards so going forward we are basically shit.

Shit last line of defence causing a

Shit defence not protected enough by a

Shit midfield play that in turn is not providing the forwards with sufficient supply resulting in

Shit forward play

Â