Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

5 hours ago, villarocker said:

I'd like us to go after Alex Smithies in the summer. Whenever I've seen him play he's looked quality and more assured than any of the keepers Villa have had in the last couple of years.

I think we tried.....but said he was settled in London

21 hours ago, AJ said:

You are right, TRO, but to say I am implying that we should still push for the play offs is incorrect. That boat has sailed, and to chase it we would be paddling after it on half a surf board.

For reasons at least of pride and the spirit of competitiveness, we should still play our best team.

Oh! Blimey yes.

we should be doing everything in our power to build momentum and confidence ready to go in to next season.

and not being an alarmist, but at this rate we will be drawn in to the dogfight.

There is no first, second and third gear in this business.....there has to be flat out and go for the jugular.....foot off the gas and you are dead.

he still has a massive job ahead and he needs big form leading up to the August onslaught.

He needs to set us up to be one of the favourites to go up next season.....and live up to it.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

And those saves have helped us how?

What sort of point are you trying to make? They kept us in the game longer and prevented a battering. Maybe he should have just let them in instead since, to you, they count for anything. 

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, he was still happy to remain with us for 3 months after Battara was sacked.

He left in January after Johnstone was brought in. So, yes, Bruce's decision.

He wasn't able to leave until January though, was he? He obviously had the professionalism to not publicly sulk about it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He wasn't able to leave until January though, was he? He obviously had the professionalism to not publicly sulk about it. 

Or he was happy enough to play and had no thoughts of leaving. You see it one way, I see it t'other. Getting boring for everyone else now, so we'll agree to differ.

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, he was still happy to remain with us for 3 months after Battara was sacked.

He left in January after Johnstone was brought in. So, yes, Bruce's decision.

3 months during which he literally couldn't legally leave the club?

I mean the quote was given to you from the horse's mouth showing it was Gollini's decision. What more do you need?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

#Missingthepointcompletely

Do people really not have just one other goalkeeper they could compare these keepers to? Someone who started out shit, and then got fractionally less shit? Rather than someone who started out really very well with a couple of mistakes, and then became one of the top five goalkeepers in world football? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do people really not have just one other goalkeeper they could compare these keepers to? Someone who started out shit, and then got fractionally less shit? Rather than someone who started out really very well with a couple of mistakes, and then became one of the top five goalkeepers in world football? 

When he first started out he wasn't being labelled as someone who started out really very well, every other week MotD and Sky were pointing this and that out whether it was warranted or not. The point remains the same in relation to this thread regardless of the full potential/ability of Johnstone. It's reactionary hysteria. I understand he can only be judged on his performances to date but at the same time people need to give him a good run of games to decide for sure whether he is up to scratch or not because this writing off of players/managers after 5 minutes is getting very tiresome and I'm sick to death of it.

I've seen World class keepers drop the shot that Johnstone did against Forest. It happens and every keeper will have done it multiple times in games. He was written off by many before he'd even played. He was on a hiding to nothing. This snap-shot judgement of players is ridiculous There's seemingly no middle ground either, he's deemed atrocious and that's it. Bunn's better, the kid in the U23's is better, blah blah blah. 

I would play him until the end of the season, if he proves people right and not up to much, he's gone regardless. On the other hand, he could settle, play to his potential and we could get a season long loan out of him next season. 

My argument is that it's way too early to ditch him and write him off. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

When he first started out he wasn't being labelled as someone who started out really very well, every other week MotD and Sky were pointing this and that out whether it was warranted or not. The point remains the same in relation to this thread regardless of the full potential/ability of Johnstone. It's reactionary hysteria. I understand he can only be judged on his performances to date but at the same time people need to give him a good run of games to decide for sure whether he is up to scratch or not because this writing off of players/managers after 5 minutes is getting very tiresome and I'm sick to death of it.

I've seen World class keepers drop the shot that Johnstone did against Forest. It happens and every keeper will have done it multiple times in games. He was written off by many before he'd even played. He was on a hiding to nothing. This snap-shot judgement of players is ridiculous There's seemingly no middle ground either, he's deemed atrocious and that's it. Bunn's better, the kid in the U23's is better, blah blah blah. 

I would play him until the end of the season, if he proves people right and not up to much, he's gone regardless. On the other hand, he could settle, play to his potential and we could get a season long loan out of him next season. 

My argument is that it's way too early to ditch him and write him off. 

Fair enough, and thanks for fully explaining your point, but I don't agree. I'm not reactionary about much on this site (see Steve Bruce thread for details) but I am with this guy because

a] He's not even our player, and

b] What annoys me more than throwing the ball in the net is that he just cannot make a save. 

And to be honest, comparisons to De Gea (and yes, I know you're comparing what you hope will be his career path, not his quality) really just serve to remind me quite how shit he actually is. This guy needs to hope he has Boaz Myhill's career, not David De Gea's. 

why are people talking about De Gea?

He's a GK who plays for ManUre

SJ is not a GK and doesnt play for ManUre

Someone is taking the P***

Mourinho? Bruce?

Edited by Grasshopper

11 hours ago, Wezbid said:

What sort of point are you trying to make? They kept us in the game longer and prevented a battering. Maybe he should have just let them in instead since, to you, they count for anything. 

My point was that his form against spuds in a fa cup match has no bearing on his last few performances. 

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

My point was that his form against spuds in a fa cup match has no bearing on his last few performances. 

You shouldn't discount performances from the debate just because they don't suit your opinion. 

By the same token him dropping the ball vs Forest has no bearing on what he might do Saturday. We might as well close the forum.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

42 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You shouldn't discount performances from the debate just because they don't suit your opinion. 

By the same token him dropping the ball vs Forest has no bearing on what he might do Saturday. We might as well close the forum.

To articulate my point better what I meant was SJ had a good first game but he hasn't played well since. So when someone posted 'but he played well against the spuds'. I don't believe that has any bearing on his current form. And you're right that my comments have no bearing on Saturday which makes the original post even less relevant which was point to begin with. Its not relevant.

PS I think it a tad presumptuous of you to say I discount his performance only because it doesn't suit my opinion. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Â