Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

If this guy was our player no doubt people would be more willing to give him time to prove himself, but as it stands he's a short term loan, and as he arrived we had our worst run of results of the season with him making poor performances.

At this point even if he turns it around it will mean little for us(unless our results are unbelievable), and he won't be here next year for us to benefit. 

I don't see what we have to gain by persevering, that's why I'd rather see bunn in and as soon as playoffs and relegation are an impossibility give sarkic or others some minutes.

If Bruce does stick with him I hope when our season is dead we do try to give some more youngsters game time ready for next season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lexicon said:

He wasn't able to leave until January though, was he? He obviously had the professionalism to not publicly sulk about it. 

Another thing to note, don't you think that Bruce had anything to do with Battara leaving? Ultimately, it goes back to Bruce on this one...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Maybe you're taking issue with me because it doesn't suit your opinion....

Eh?

Not even remotely the case. I understand people thinking he's shit, totally their prerogative. Based on what we've seen, overall, he has been poor. 

What I'm saying is that you don't need to discount an objectively good performance in order to argue that case. 

19 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Or he was happy enough to play and had no thoughts of leaving. You see it one way, I see it t'other. Getting boring for everyone else now, so we'll agree to differ.

What are you on about? You're disagreeing with what Gollini himself said about the situation and his leaving the club. I think he probably knows better than you. 

Give the lad a chance,  he had a decent debut.  He's not covered himself in glory since but thats no different than most of his fellow new arrivals. 

I don't doubt his ability yet and I actually think we have a very good team overall.  They just like this lad need time to gel.  Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later. 

38 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Give the lad a chance,  he had a decent debut.  He's not covered himself in glory since but thats no different than most of his fellow new arrivals. 

I don't doubt his ability yet and I actually think we have a very good team overall.  They just like this lad need time to gel.  Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later. 

Thing is though if he needs time to gel then no sooner will he gel than it will be time to go back to united.

we needed a keeper to come in and take the reins who was ready and experienced - Allan mcgregor was loaned to Cardiff and he would have been a better bet in my view.

• Like 1

Totally if he wasn't a loan signing we brought in to fill the Gollini sized gap at the back the fair enough, he shoudl have time to settle etc. Thing is though he's not our player and is going back to United in the summer. 

Unless we have an option on him? Anyone know? 

Even if we do though he's going to need to be top drawer for a good long run to be worth buying!

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

we needed a keeper to come in and take the reins who was ready and experienced - Allan mcgregor was loaned to Cardiff and he would have been a better bet in my view.

we missed a trick there!

Sorry

Bruce missed a trick there!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Totally if he wasn't a loan signing we brought in to fill the Gollini sized gap at the back the fair enough, he shoudl have time to settle etc. Thing is though he's not our player and is going back to United in the summer. 

Unless we have an option on him? Anyone know? 

Even if we do though he's going to need to be top drawer for a good long run to be worth buying!

No option to buy - united made clear he was not for sale .

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is he worse than Bunn?

Besides, way too early to be claiming victory there. It's not so long back people on the internet were claiming Zlatan was done, that he couldn't handle the pace of the PL. 

I would say so, yes. 

I don't expect keepers to be spectacular, I expect them to do their job and save things that should be saved. Bunn hasn't cost us many points in that regard for me. He also saved us 2 points against Burton. Johnstone did play well against Spurs, but since then he's been a massive net negative.

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Eh?

Not even remotely the case. I understand people thinking he's shit, totally their prerogative. Based on what we've seen, overall, he has been poor. 

What I'm saying is that you don't need to discount an objectively good performance in order to argue that case. 

Oh lordy, I didn't discount it but its easier just to agree. So I'm really sorry I won't do it again, I promise ........ Moving right along

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is he worse than Bunn?

Besides, way too early to be claiming victory there. It's not so long back people on the internet were claiming Zlatan was done, that he couldn't handle the pace of the PL. 

I'm not claiming victory, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

But seeing as you mentioned it, yes. His performances so far have absolutely been worse than Bunn.

Loans are for short term gain. If looking for short term gain then there is no settling in period that's really acceptable, the player needs to come in and make an instant impact and at least not be a hindrance. Otherwise you're just the reserve team for the loaning club to give them experience and your team has no value.

Not a massive fan of Gollini by any means but at least success or failure is on our terms. I didn't understand this signing from the start, there was such a small margin of benefit to us. If we were going to loan a keeper it should have been someone with loads of experience even if they were getting on a bit - much more likely they would have had an impact than Johnstone has for five months.

With our playoff chances now over, we'd be better dropping him/ sending him back and using Bunn/Sarkic as at least that'll help us in 17/18 - there's nothing Johnstone can now do that'll benefit US this season or next.

Â