Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Our defending on corners is becoming a huge problem and the keeper is not helping at all. 

Needs to dominate the area more. 

Chester being around 5'11 don't help.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we could easily do better than Johnstone. In terms of ability right now. 

I'm happy to admit that the guy has potential to be much better. But in terms of right now, I think we could do better.

Again, I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him. But I also wouldn't be bothered if we looked elsewhere.

Just curious, but let's assume it's august 2017, United don't loan us Sam again, and now Bruce needs to find a new keeper to take his place. With how little funding Bruce got due to FFP , who do you think we could have gotten that actually would have been an improvement over Sam?

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Just curious, but let's assume it's august 2017, United don't loan us Sam again, and now Bruce needs to find a new keeper to take his place. With how little funding Bruce got due to FFP , who do you think we could have gotten that actually would have been an improvement over Sam?

Rob Green would have been my choice.

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Rob Green would have been my choice.

I definitely think Green is way past it, and far too old to be reliable for us, but thanks for the response. I personally don't think there is any keeper we could have gotten that is clearly above Sam in quality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

I definitely think Green is way past it, and far too old to be reliable for us, but thanks for the response. I personally don't think there is any keeper we could have gotten that is clearly above Sam in quality. 

Green was plenty good enough last season, and has been one of the best keepers at this level for a few years now. I think he'd have been a very astute signing and cheap.

I don't think johnstone on loan was a bad option, fwiw. I'm just not convinced signing him permanently is the right move.

16 hours ago, Czechlad said:

We would have used Jed Steer. I've seen nothing to suggest he's any worse (or better, for that matter), in the admittedly limited time we've seen him, than Johnstone.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I said at the time we should use Jed Steer as it would have allowed us to loan another player we could have used for a promotion push.

Having said that Johnstone is a completely different player to last season, as he only saved shots straight at him and now he seems to be a decent shot stopper.

I still think if we do go up there are much better keepers to be spending 10m on though, he is poor at crosses and has too many mistakes in him. We can't afford that in what would most likely be a relegation battle. 

• Like 2

On 26/02/2018 at 17:07, Czechlad said:

Going IT I'm hoping FFP won't be much of a problem if / when we get promoted and we all sit here confused as to which Chinese company is our official partner of what 

That said we still don't really want to be spinning double digits on a keeper when the rest of squad will need stregthening 

Hopefully utd will be sensible over him seeing as he'll never play there, depends more on his agent and how many sharks in the water 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

United have today taken up the year option to extend Johnstone contract so therefore making sure of a fee if he leaves . 

Time to move on then. If we're seriously going to challenge them in our quest to be in the Top 3 clubs in the world in 5 years, then we can't be doing them favours in paying for their rejects.

How much will De Gea cost?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Time to move on then. If we're seriously going to challenge them in our quest to be in the Top 3 clubs in the world in 5 years, then we can't be doing them favours in paying for their rejects.

How much will De Gea cost?

Can’t blame them for doing it to get themselves a fee though. Just have to assess if he’s worth it or if there’s someone available who is better at the same price. 

I think we can get him for 5-8 million, we should. We need to improve some other spots if we go up first. I'd only worry about the goal keeping position if Tony gives Bruce a huge budget.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd worry about having Johnstone in goal in the Premier League tbh.

Me too. He has his good points but he’s poor dealing with crosses and his kicking is, to put it kindly, variable.

Still young though, both of those can improve. Certainly wouldn’t think he’s worth £5m

• Like 2

Â