Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I had my head bitten off here at the start of the year suggesting £10m. Yes, I think £10m.

I honestly don’t know, but that sort of figure for a young keeper, showing promise seems about right in today’s market (using the Pickford transfer as a yardstick).

He would have the added bonus of being already fairly settled in which would be an advantage over other potential keepers.

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I honestly don’t know, but that sort of figure for a young keeper, showing promise seems about right in today’s market (using the Pickford transfer as a yardstick).

He would have the added bonus of being already fairly settled in which would be an advantage over other potential keepers.

United only hold a one year option so that would affect his fee .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Is he worth £10m to us. Yes. Who else could we sign? It’s as simple as that.

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

United only hold a one year option so that would affect his fee .

Not sure it does nowadays, in reality.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A good championship keeper who isn't IMO cut out for the premier league, far too many deficiencies, I absolute hope we do not sign him permanently.

Best keeper in this division easily, will get better and better with experience. I think we would be silly not to sign him. 

He reminds me a bit of Scott Carson. Superb shot stopper and good on one on one situations but shit scared of crosses. I really hope he can improve this part of his game as could make or break how good he could be. 

Of course he is still very young so lots of time to improve. 

What is it with Villa keeoers nit coming off their line?

Burton put a cross in on 69 minutes which Chester had toput out for a corner. He turned round and give Johnstone pelters for not dealing with it. 

Fantastic shot stopper but he needs to be more commanding. 

39 minutes ago, av1 said:

Burton put a cross in on 69 minutes which Chester had toput out for a corner. He turned round and give Johnstone pelters for not dealing with it. 

I don’t think he wanted Johnstone to come for it but he wanted a call from him as there wasn’t a burton player anywhere near the ball so Chester didn’t need to concede the corner. I’d agree that he needs to improve from set pieces but he’s been great this season for the most part.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Did they not score their first, or rathe Elmo scored their first, from the resulting corner?

Still not convinced by this guy. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Did they not score their first, or rathe Elmo scored their first, from the resulting corner?

Still not convinced by this guy. 

Yes. The goal came from the resulting corner on 71 mins. 

I've not seen a replay so i can only comment from seeing it at the ground, but i thought Johnstone should have come for that. It was only 7/8 yards out. 

Yes he's a brilliant shot stopper but if he's to be a top keeper his kicking and especially domination of the box needs to improve. 

I am sure that will come with experience as he matures but Man Ure won't be contemplating him as their keeper unless he gets this. 

It's hard to know how to view him. He's unquestionably stopping some surefire goals against us but I feel there are others which wouldn't have been conceded if the keeper clears the box. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes he's a brilliant shot stopper but if he's to be a top keeper his kicking and especially domination of the box needs to improve. 

I am sure that will come with experience as he matures but Man Ure won't be contemplating him as their keeper unless he gets this. 

It's hard to know how to view him. He's unquestionably stopping some surefire goals against us but I feel there are others which wouldn't have been conceded if the keeper clears the box. 

Today proves that. He should have dealt with the cross that led to the corner, and goal. 

On 06/02/2018 at 10:52, alreadyexists said:

I think he’s an excellent young ‘keeper and whether he stays with us or goes back to Man Utd, I know he’ll do well in the future. I hope we can get him permanently though. 

I hope we can make the deal perminant.

Not sure if mentioned already but does anyone know if we has a buy option is his loan agreement?

It was a poor kick for sure, the Fulham lad finished it well, plenty wouldn't have, but the error certainly isn't typical of his overall displays. His kicking isn't the strongest part of his game, but that won't be the worst mistake he ever makes.

Â