Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Another over reaction here, he is by far the best goalkeeper we have had for some time and unfortunately made a mistake yesterday. He's young and it happens. The saves points he has earned us this season far outweigh this one mistake.

He receives the ball a lot in games to take the pressure of the defence and midfield and generally deals with it well. Last season when he came in you could see him with the ball looking to play it out from the back and being constantly told to kick it instead, this seems to be Bruce's style of play and has continued this season. In my opinion this should be changed and we should look to drop our fullbacks in to receive the ball from short balls or goal kicks instead of lumping it forward and hoping Hogan wins it.

It’s not a over reaction it was quite frankly a ridiculous and Sunday league mistake. I think people people are untitled to be a bit cheesed off with that goal as it was completely avoidable.

he has been generally good this year but he made a number of errors last year too. Let’s hope it’s a one off.

Moments before he kicked the ball, I actually envisioned it going straight to a Fulham player for a goal, although I envisioned him slipping.

Wasn't a game that bred a lot of confidence in the team for the most part.

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Moments before he kicked the ball, I actually envisioned it going straight to a Fulham player for a goal, although I envisioned him slipping.

Wasn't a game that bred a lot of confidence in the team for the most part.

It never does when there is so much disparity in the possession stats....having said that charlie nicholas maintained we had no danger to us and equally offered no threat.

sounded like a stalemate.....until we lose concentration.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

It never does when there is so much disparity in the possession stats....having said that charlie nicholas maintained we had no danger to us and equally offered no threat.

sounded like a stalemate.....until we lose concentration.

I watched the second half so my only comment can be to confirm that once we went behind, we never looked much of a threat, and 2-0 was game over.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I watched the second half so my only comment can be to confirm that once we went behind, we never looked much of a threat, and 2-0 was game over.

Thanks, i did'nt see it to be fair.....just built up a picture from comments.

I seen the goals though.

I' m not lieing the result ****** me off, I hear all the mitigating circumstances and accept them.

but, when we have such an important game a six pointer as you may say and one to hurt the opposition.....I don' t feel the intensity, aggression or eye of the tiger.....to compete.

Charlie Nicholas said he was very dissappointed in Villa.....thats not what I want to hear in a big game.....I want to hear that Villa are really at it and competitive.

perhaps Sams ricket, killed us.

Edited by TRO

We can thank him for his 2 wonder saves vs Millwall.

That would have been 3 points if the rest of the team had been arsed and done their jobs.

He's a keeper, his mistakes lead to conceded goals. He won't do it again.

Give him a break.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm trying to cast my mind back.....I don't think Goalkeepers years ago ,did that from those positions, so far out of goal......but i could be wrong.

I believe after the back pass rule came in 1992, goalkeepers have become more involved with the ball at their feet. More and more goalkeepers have taken kicks as years passed by.

Johnstone was on the right side of the field, and his standing foot slipped slightly causing him to strike the right side of the ball that brought it in-field. His whole body pivoted slightly to the left and it went bad from there. It could have fallen to a villa player, but sadly it fell to a Fulham player who finished very well.

7 hours ago, villianusa said:

I believe after the back pass rule came in 1992, goalkeepers have become more involved with the ball at their feet. More and more goalkeepers have taken kicks as years passed by.

Johnstone was on the right side of the field, and his standing foot slipped slightly causing him to strike the right side of the ball that brought it in-field. His whole body pivoted slightly to the left and it went bad from there. It could have fallen to a villa player, but sadly it fell to a Fulham player who finished very well.

yeah.....Its not the slip that concerns me, that can happen to anyone.....or the execution of it, which I am sure was unintended.

Its the decision for him to take the kick so far wide of his goal, slightly out, I can Understand......but close to the side of the pitch, is pushing it a bit in my book.

Anyway.....Its happened and we have seen the downside of it.....If we want to accept that, then we have to put up with the consequences.

Edited by TRO

Â