Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

thought he was classy at end of game tonight and had a long chat with young Leeds keeper at end of game

Was that when he was on camera scratching his balls?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Apparently Spurs want him next season as their number 2, he’d be bloody stupid to go there. Needs to be a number 1, learning all the time and could eventually become an England Gk 

If that means Michel Vorm is available then I'd be happy.

Playing second fiddle as a young keeper isn't exactly a great career move. Either way, as a footballer, you'd want to play you'd think. It's not like they're not getting paid well as it is.

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Playing second fiddle as a young keeper isn't exactly a great career move. Either way, as a footballer, you'd want to play you'd think. It's not like they're not getting paid well as it is.

I guess it depends.

If someone like Spurs convinced Johnstone that they see him as their future number 1 and to get there he'd have to spend a couple of seasons as Lloris' understudy then I could see how that would be an attractive move.

He'd be learning off one of the best keepers in the world, he'd play plenty of cup football, maybe even some champions league football and if he backs himself to eventually break through into their team then he'll be at a huge club.

Personally I don't think he's good enough to do that, but he may surprise me. But as a player you have to back yourself given that opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess it depends.

If someone like Spurs convinced Johnstone that they see him as their future number 1 and to get there he'd have to spend a couple of seasons as Lloris' understudy then I could see how that would be an attractive move.

He'd be learning off one of the best keepers in the world, he'd play plenty of cup football, maybe even some champions league football and if he backs himself to eventually break through into their team then he'll be at a huge club.

Personally I don't think he's good enough to do that, but he may surprise me. But as a player you have to back yourself given that opportunity.

It's a big if though, not exactly backed by any insurance. Sure you'd learn a lot but application goes a longer way. If he performs then the opportunity will arise again in all likelihood. I guess it's a little bit of a unique position as a goalkeeper being that you can play the game longer, but in 99% of games you won't start as the second choice. At least not in the games that matter. You'd think you learn more by doing rather than being an understudy and you'll have a much better time. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, omariqy said:

Keep an eye out for an instagram pic with his newborn.

Obviously a big moment for him but selfishly not great for us.

Assume his GF is based in Cheshire so overnight and he won't get much sleep and anytime tomorrow and it's going to be a struggle to get him up to Boro in time.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Obviously a big moment for him but selfishly not great for us.

Assume his GF is based in Cheshire so overnight and he won't get much sleep and anytime tomorrow and it's going to be a struggle to get him up to Boro in time.

Yeah I’d be very surprised if he plays now. Of course he wouldn’t want to miss the birth of his child, and as you say we selfishly want him playing, it’s a tough one. Actually dread the thought of Bunn in goal, so much for a good nights sleep lol.

• Like 1

I know there have been players who have missed games, even at CL level to attend the birth of their children...but a poor bad result tonight could potentially cost the club £100m. There are big games and there is this. People's jobs are on the line tonight. He will play 100%.

41 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I know there have been players who have missed games, even at CL level to attend the birth of their children...but a poor bad result tonight could potentially cost the club £100m. There are big games and there is this. People's jobs are on the line tonight. He will play 100%.

But if his mind is elsewhere, do you really want him to play?

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

But if his mind is elsewhere, do you really want him to play?

This is what concerns me ffs what rotten luck. I do hope he can focus on it but I don't see how if it is your first child.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

It won't be, I am sure. Yes, even accounting for Bunn's double save last week he is an absolute calamity.

I don't like the idea of Bunn in net either, believe me. But, Sam is very young and still inexperienced, so is he able to handle it mentally? Baby thoughts and worries may have terrible consequences for us. 

Â