Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

I’ve never been his biggest fan but his shot-stopping in the last couple of months has impressed me. He’s so weak on crosses though. Any opposition manager should be instructing his players to just drop the ball in the six-yard box to cause panic. That said thoigh looking at the highlights, he looked to be shoved by a Preston player as he made the punch. That’s given as a foul 90% of the time in today’s game. 

I found it interesting that he was more than happy to keep kicking from similar positions to the incident on Saturday. Shows he has some sort of arrogance, confidence or simple pig-headdedness that might do him good when he makes the odd howler. 

I find him strange as a keeper. On the rare occasion that he does come confidently for a high ball he seems to take the ball reasonably well. He clearly doesn't want to come off his line at corners which I think is generally fine if the defence know that he's not coming and adjust accordingly. 

The main issue this time is that the ball was in the air for such a long time that he simply has to come aggressively and claim the catch. If he does that the worst he's going to do is get the free kick. I actually think it was a foul anyway but he's come so weakly that the ref hasn't given it.

Again, I'm not going to slaughter a young goalkeeper for a couple of mistakes though. Every keeper makes them and the fans getting on his back isn't going to help him improve. The save from the one on one in the second half was brilliant I thought - he was so quick off his line to prevent the goal. 

I'd still have him up there with our better performers this year - hopefully he can regain some confidence (may be easier away from home after the atmosphere around the ground yesterday) and get back to the standards he's set for most of the season.

55 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I find him strange as a keeper. On the rare occasion that he does come confidently for a high ball he seems to take the ball reasonably well. He clearly doesn't want to come off his line at corners which I think is generally fine if the defence know that he's not coming and adjust accordingly. 

The main issue this time is that the ball was in the air for such a long time that he simply has to come aggressively and claim the catch. If he does that the worst he's going to do is get the free kick. I actually think it was a foul anyway but he's come so weakly that the ref hasn't given it.

Again, I'm not going to slaughter a young goalkeeper for a couple of mistakes though. Every keeper makes them and the fans getting on his back isn't going to help him improve. The save from the one on one in the second half was brilliant I thought - he was so quick off his line to prevent the goal. 

I'd still have him up there with our better performers this year - hopefully he can regain some confidence (may be easier away from home after the atmosphere around the ground yesterday) and get back to the standards he's set for most of the season.

I wouldnt call 24 young to be honest mate, he is quite experienced now i would say 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I wouldnt call 24 young to be honest mate, he is quite experienced now i would say 

I'd say 24 is pretty young for a goalkeeper. He's played around two years of Championship football. Still plenty of time for him to develop and fulfill the potential that he's shown this season.

Just now, tom_avfc said:

I'd say 24 is pretty young for a goalkeeper. He's played around two years of Championship football. Still plenty of time for him to develop and fulfill the potential that he's shown this season.

Yes i dont want to be too harsh on the lad but his mistakes are costing us big time 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yes i dont want to be too harsh on the lad but his mistakes are costing us big time 

I'd suggest that he's won us more points this season than he's lost us. Even in the game yesterday he made a couple of very good saves after the mistake.

He's a keeper so his mistakes are going to lead to goals. He hasn't made too many this season and hopefully the last two weeks are just a minor blip and he can get his confidence back.

• Like 1

The first error was that ANOTHER ball that drops within the area 6 yard box and he didn't come for it.  The second error was when he came for the rebound he was weak as anything and showed no actual desire, third error was he tried to make the save with his right hand, twisting his body instead of just leading with his left.

All in all, that was a huge pile of garbage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

If he seen De Gea's save in the Euro game last night, thats enough to make him depressed......never going to shift him.

De Gea may go back to Spain soon but Johnstone won’t replace him - United will look for much better .

• Like 2

We're in the championship, not top 4 in the premier league. Honestly don't think we can do better than Johnstone, nor do I think we should. Johnstone has saved us numerous times this season. I can't think of a better keeper in this division. He has made a few errors, but he is an excellent shot stopper, and clearly has potential. 

Shots seem to stick to Johnstone which is a very difficult trait to have. Remember how many goals Guzan and Given spilled? Johnstone just has to learn to command his box a bit more which will come with time. He needs to know that even though he has Terry and Chester in front of him, Sam is the boss in the box, not them. 

I was very critical of Sam before this season started. He seemed to be just another average keeper, but he has stepped up his game significantly since last season which makes me believe regular football is really helping him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Thought he pulled off a few decent saves on Saturday. No clean sheet obviously but I still think he’s one of the better keepers in this league. 

Yeah great performance again. The save after Chester cleared off the line was fantastic and a few other good saves also.

You can always tell when he’s had a good game as this thread is exceptionally quiet. The joys of being a goalkeeper I suppose!

• Like 3

On 2/21/2018 at 16:20, Demitri_C said:

I think that’s a bit harsh especially given the number of clean sheets he has had and the fact we’ve only lost 1 in 11. 

On 2/22/2018 at 16:26, Czechlad said:

We're in the championship, not top 4 in the premier league. Honestly don't think we can do better than Johnstone, nor do I think we should. Johnstone has saved us numerous times this season. I can't think of a better keeper in this division. He has made a few errors, but he is an excellent shot stopper, and clearly has potential. 

I think we could easily do better than Johnstone. In terms of ability right now. 

I'm happy to admit that the guy has potential to be much better. But in terms of right now, I think we could do better.

Again, I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him. But I also wouldn't be bothered if we looked elsewhere.

• Like 1

When it is getting to the point where every single corner is a half chance for the opposition is starts to become irrelevant how good of a shot stopper you are.

When you have a flaw in your game (or your head, perhaps) as big and fundamental as he does, it just isn't enough.

Edited by rodders0223

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we could easily do better than Johnstone. In terms of ability right now. 

I'm happy to admit that the guy has potential to be much better. But in terms of right now, I think we could do better.

Again, I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him. But I also wouldn't be bothered if we looked elsewhere.

I'm interested to find out who you think would be better as of now who would be available to us?

9 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

I'm interested to find out who you think would be better as of now who would be available to us?

Depends how much we'd have to pay for Johnstone. I imagine it will be quite a lot (relatively speaking), and I think there are a fair few keepers we could target with that money instead.

Especially when you consider some keepers like Foster, Hennessey, Fabianski, Forster, Butland, Elliot could find themselves in the Championship next season and potentially looking for other clubs.

This is all assuming we get promoted. If we don't than Johnstone is probably fine for this level. If we do though, I think he has some significant weaknesses that will be even more exposed in the premier league.

Being a good shot stopper isn't enough these days. Every keeper at that level is a good shot stopper.

• Thanks 1

Â