Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Have watched it back on the highlights as I was so far away I couldn’t see what happened live, but it is very close to the edge and I think Dean probably made the right call with a yellow. Wouldn’t have been surprised by a red but it doesn’t look like a cynical stop but a lack of awareness how close to the edge of the area he is. I also think the defenders would have got back to clear either way.

edit; did anyone watch on sky and did they do a replay with the camera along the 18 yard box? how far out was it?

edit edit; watching again, defenders wouldn’t have got back but I’m not convinced that’s outside the area. Standing on the line leaning back, whole of the ball. unless I see an 18 yard view that shows it better, it’s not a foul.97B7856B-14AE-4B58-AC79-F6E1E067D040.jpeg.fc18dc408d5c0c54d112be572240d7bd.jpeg

Edited by a m ole

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Have watched it back on the highlights as I was so far away I couldn’t see what happened live, but it is very close to the edge and I think Dean probably made the right call with a yellow. Wouldn’t have been surprised by a red but it doesn’t look like a cynical stop but a lack of awareness how close to the edge of the area he is. I also think the defenders would have got back to clear either way.

edit; did anyone watch on sky and did they do a replay with the camera along the 18 yard box? how far out was it?

edit edit; watching again, defenders wouldn’t have got back but I’m not convinced that’s outside the area. Standing on the line leaning back, whole of the ball. unless I see an 18 yard view that shows it better, it’s not a foul.97B7856B-14AE-4B58-AC79-F6E1E067D040.jpeg.fc18dc408d5c0c54d112be572240d7bd.jpeg

Looking at that it barely looks outside the box. Foot just in front of the line and body arched backwards...... Looks like Mike Dean has been getting unwarranted criticism which is a first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

...... Looks like Mike Dean has been getting unwarranted criticism which is a first.

Thing is the free kick was given, therefore it has to be a red. If it’s in the box, no free kick should be given 

35 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Thing is the free kick was given, therefore it has to be a red. If it’s in the box, no free kick should be given 

Just to defend Mike Dean (:crylaugh:)

Players who commit a foul to deny a goalscoring opportunity will no longer automatically be sent off, football's rule-making body has confirmed.

The previous 'triple-punishment' rule required a red card - and therefore a suspension - as well as the award of a penalty under those circumstances.

However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

I think it’s fair to interpret it as an accidental foul given how close it is to the edge.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I think it’s fair to interpret it as an accidental foul given how close it is to the edge.

Interesting new interpretation of the rule which I don’t think is being followed properly by referees. He wouldn’t have known he was outside of the area so in that respect it was not intentional handball and was a yellow. 

That aside I do think Dean is getting a lot of stick for no reason. His standard of refereeing was a breath of fresh air compared to what we have seen in the championship all season. 

5 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Looking at that it barely looks outside the box. Foot just in front of the line and body arched backwards...... Looks like Mike Dean has been getting unwarranted criticism which is a first.

It was definitely outside the area mate. The showed it from the side. 

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I dont know about that. He purposely stuck out his hand to stop a goal bound shot.  Its his fault he was out of his area.

Its a red all day long!

I dont think it would have altered the game for the very basic fact that we didnt actually need a keeper all game.

Hope its an indian sign over the final at Wembly though!

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That aside I do think Dean is getting a lot of stick for no reason. His standard of refereeing was a breath of fresh air compared to what we have seen in the championship all season. 

I have to agree. I'm no fan of the guy, or his determination to make everything about himself, but that was a good refereeing performance yesterday. 

We got veey lucky there as that was red. Jesus what was Johnstone doing for that? He came out late and made a mess of it.

If he got sent off and missed the final no way are we winning with bunn in goal. Let's hope that's the clanger he made before final  

I only saw it from the opposite end of the ground, but I cannot understand how that is not a red card.

I'm very very thankful that it wasn't, but I don't understand it. I also don't understand why Boro weren't more angry about it not being as red!

If that had happened to Randolph I'd have been livid. It's a red card.

• Like 1

Pulis said it wouldn't have made a difference as it was so near the end. SO who cares. Top performance from all the team. I hope we sign him up whatever happens.  Probably be Englands number 1 in a few months time. ;)

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I thought it was a red but watched it back and Adam doesn't connect with the ball that well and I am pretty sure Terry would have headed it away. 

I'm fairly sure it was going in regardless of Terry being there

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm fairly sure it was going in regardless of Terry being there

Doesn't really matter anyway to be honest.

Still a red card.

• Like 1

I thought he was poor referring this game. He kept booking out players for silly fouls yet when boro were doing the same he wasn't booking them. I was convinced he would look at any opportunity to send our players off yet he failed to do so with this blatent one.

Think it evened it self out as we should have had a pen anyways.

• Like 1

Â