Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

I thought the whole execution was pathetic.

i blame the ....

• Keeper
  • the coaches
  • the manager.

my brother in law said during the game, they all do it......I don't give a flying **** whether they all do it, its unprofessional....and why take unnecessary risks.

whats wrong with the full back kicking the ball from that position.

sorry guys, stuck for words.

That one was even worse than the Gollini one from last season as he was under no pressure.

Overall he's been good this season but he still has some very obvious flaws in his game to work on.

Still not sold on signing him on a permanent basis, especially if we go up.

If we fail to get promoted I'd be happy to take him if the price is right.

Yesterday is one to forget, it happens.

Just have to go again...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

It should be a wake up call to him and the rest of the back line, his kicking is utterly atrocious for the most part, he shouldn't be receiving the ball anywhere near as often as he does. If the goal is to simply lump it down the pitch then there's no reason why one of the defenders can't do that 99% of the time. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sne said:

Overall he's been god this season but he still has some very obvious flaws in his game to work on.

That might be putting it a tad strongly :) although he certainly moved in a mysterious way for that goal....

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

A defender taking that free kick would either mean we couldn't push up, and so would almost certainly lose possession, or, alternatively, the defender would play every opposition player onside if Fulham won the header and countered. It was totally right for Johnstone to be taking it, it was just horrendous execution from him. 

I'm another who is far from sold on Johnstone. For me, the praise he has received has been way over the top. I wouldn't be shelling out on him, especially if we do go up.

• Like 1

Another over reaction here, he is by far the best goalkeeper we have had for some time and unfortunately made a mistake yesterday. He's young and it happens. The saves points he has earned us this season far outweigh this one mistake.

He receives the ball a lot in games to take the pressure of the defence and midfield and generally deals with it well. Last season when he came in you could see him with the ball looking to play it out from the back and being constantly told to kick it instead, this seems to be Bruce's style of play and has continued this season. In my opinion this should be changed and we should look to drop our fullbacks in to receive the ball from short balls or goal kicks instead of lumping it forward and hoping Hogan wins it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Another over reaction here, he is by far the best goalkeeper we have had for some time and unfortunately made a mistake yesterday. He's young and it happens. The saves points he has earned us this season far outweigh this one mistake.

Not an over-reaction, just a different opinion. It's not just his kicking, although he is pretty weak in that department. He's unconvincing when faced with crosses and high balls, and for me his shot-stopping has been slightly exaggerated also. Yes, he's youngish (25 next month), but I totally disagree with it being his first mistake this season. If we are in the Prem next season, I certainly would be uneasy with him as a number 1.

20 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

He receives the ball a lot in games to take the pressure of the defence and midfield and generally deals with it well. Last season when he came in you could see him with the ball looking to play it out from the back and being constantly told to kick it instead, this seems to be Bruce's style of play and has continued this season. In my opinion this should be changed and we should look to drop our fullbacks in to receive the ball from short balls or goal kicks instead of lumping it forward and hoping Hogan wins it.

Agree, me calling him god this season was a bit OTT :D

Weighing up how many vital saves he has made this season to how many kicks he has taken is far outweighed.

Before this blip he had been faultless all season.

For me it just summed up yesterday afternoon as a whole as a candle on the cake.

We regroup and we bounce back on Tuesday night. This will all be forgotten if we go on another winning streak.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Another over reaction here, he is by far the best goalkeeper we have had for some time and unfortunately made a mistake yesterday.

I really don't think this is true

4 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

A defender taking that free kick would either mean we couldn't push up, and so would almost certainly lose possession, or, alternatively, the defender would play every opposition player onside if Fulham won the header and countered. It was totally right for Johnstone to be taking it, it was just horrendous execution from him. 

I'm another who is far from sold on Johnstone. For me, the praise he has received has been way over the top. I wouldn't be shelling out on him, especially if we do go up.

Perfectly explained reasoning for doing it.

but also,the trade off was irritatingly exposed.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, villianusa said:

it was really bad kicking technique. As others have said his kick distribution is one of his worst attributes, but I had no problem him taking the kick, he just got it wrong.

I'm trying to cast my mind back.....I don't think Goalkeepers years ago ,did that from those positions, so far out of goal......but i could be wrong.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

When was the last goalkeeper who was better? Surely you have to go back as far as early-period Guzan don't you?

Yep. Guzan. So our last but one keeper. 

Johnstone has potential but I think he’s far from the finished article. A lot about his game makes me nervous. 

I don’t think signing him would be a bad move as such. But if we decided to look elsewhere I wouldn’t be fussed. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Guzan. So our last but one keeper. 

Johnstone has potential but I think he’s far from the finished article. A lot about his game makes me nervous. 

I don’t think signing him would be a bad move as such. But if we decided to look elsewhere I wouldn’t be fussed. 

Guzan was a goalkeeper of two halves though, so it's actually several years (I don't think Johnstone is worse than Guzan of the last two seasons in the PL). 

EDIT: I agree with the rest of your post. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â