The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

10 minutes ago, KSV said:

So Norwich beat Sheffield. We win. Gap is 13 and we play them next week and beat them. Gap is 10 with 10 to go? Never know..

but we will probably lose to Rotherham.. so......

Then we also play Fulham in a couple of weeks... 

I'm being facetious, were too far off and you're talking about potentially winning 5 in a row to still be 10 points behind. 

If we break 70 points it will have been a monumental turnaround. That in itself would be title form. It still won't be enough. 

Let's focus on today. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

There is also the small matter of the other 8 teams between us and the last play off spot.

Whilst true it doesn't really matter how many teams. The target stays the same, even if the team in 6th changes on several occasions. 

We'd have to win 10 of the remaining games regardless. It would possibly be enough, I think 72 will be the magic number.

We won't do it. 

10 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Why is this thread still open? It's a self inflicted torture thread. For the love of God just close it!

Or possibly the greatest thread in VT history.. depends if we win every game till the season closes. At the mo, we are on target. 

• Like 1

When the talk initially was that we had to be one of the favourites to win automatic promotion I just couldn't see it. 

How does a side who only won three games last season and averaged 10 for the four seasons before that suddenly win the 25+ games it would take to make such a scenario feasible. 

Of course, the money spent by first Di Matteo and then Bruce changes the picture somewhat, but it would still have been a tall order. It's galling though that we were even out of the play-off race by February thank's to Bruce's New Years brain farts. 

Still, if we close out this season with 15-17 victories, it's easier to think that we might be capable of making the transition needed to win the required 20-25 next year. 

• Like 3

All I wanted this season, even before it kicked off, was for us to be closer to the playoffs than the relegation spots. I always knew it'd be hard to go from last season to promotion candidates this season - it was too big of a jump. However it looked promising when Dr Xia pumped money in during the summer, then dropped again during RDMs early games, picked up again when Bruce arrived with a bounce, then plummeted once more after Xmas. So I return to my initial assessment of just wanting us to be closer to promotion than relegation.

Currently we're 16pts from promotion and 11pts from relegation. Based on performances this year, even in last three games, I think it'll go to the last game as regards which one we're closer to.

20 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Whilst true it doesn't really matter how many teams. The target stays the same, even if the team in 6th changes on several occasions. 

We'd have to win 10 of the remaining games regardless. It would possibly be enough, I think 72 will be the magic number.

We won't do it. 

Don't think 72 will be enough to get 6th this season - if Wednesday win at home to burton on tues they will be on 64 with 10 to play - I think it's more likely to be around 76 which means we would need to win our last 14 in a row - not happening either way , but a top 8 finish is still achievable.

• Like 1

We are now in a very comfortable position here. Not going down, not going up, in essence the pressure is off. We should be able to relax here and really nail down the fundamentals of the team. Positional play, pass and move, getting players into the box and learning likely runs from teammates, etc.

I Just hope the fans allow this to happen and the cravings don't add pressure where a more relaxed and understanding view would make this easier. 

Tbh we need this period.

We have so many creases to iron iron out that becomes impossible when there is intense glare. We also have to understand that there will be losses here to as experiments won't always work.

This may also be a good time for us fans too.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

I'd be happy with top 10 and a strong finish to the season.

Been a tough season, lots of changes in both personnel and mentality and that was something I (and others) clearly underestimated.

Now we need continuity and as few changes and distractions as possible going into next season, so we can hit the ground running.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I want to see his we do against two of the play off competitors. ESP Sheffield Wednesday as thy were very lucky to beat us. Strong finish towards end of the season

Yarp, tis a good time to play huddersfield, we've just about fixed the core of our first 11 and with the pressure off a little I can see a really good game on the horizon..

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

We are now in a very comfortable position here. Not going down, not going up, in essence the pressure is off. We should be able to relax here and really nail down the fundamentals of the team. Positional play, pass and move, getting players into the box and learning likely runs from teammates, etc.

I Just hope the fans allow this to happen and the cravings don't add pressure where a more relaxed and understanding view would make this easier. 

Tbh we need this period.

We have so many creases to iron iron out that becomes impossible when there is intense glare. We also have to understand that there will be losses here to as experiments won't always work.

This may also be a good time for us fans too.

I endorse this wholeheartedly as complete common sense. 

Sadly I'm not optimistic about the reaction of most fans, after yesterday afternoon. 

Only 11 more wins needed now..;) I worry that our plague of injuries may cost us in the run-in but I intend to enjoy this unlikely ride for as long as we possibly can (which will be at least until Tuesday night).     

We are a goalkeeper and CB away from being premier league promotion contenders. Then a fair few after that to maintain. Like Wyness said.. we need 3 teams.. one to get up.. one to stay up.. one to compete. Least we have ambition. Thats what its all about. 

If we were to catch a team in the playoffs I think it would be more likely Reading. There next games are Newcastle (H), Preston (A), Sheff Wed (A), Leeds (H), Blackburn (H), Norwich (A), Villa (A). Could be and hopefully will be a huge collapse by Reading.