The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

We can talk about Gestede all we like but the way we played on Saturday, even if we had Kodjia up front instead of Gabby we wouldn't have won that game.

Yes we need a striker (Gabby & McCormack are useless), but the midfield is our main issue and needs fixing this week.

Gestede was a cart horse, we got a great deal for him. Hopefully the club have a plan in place for sorting the striker issue this week also.

Next six fixtures are Preston, Bristol City, Brentford, Forest, Ipswich, Barnsley. Four of them are at home. Kodjia back for the last two or three of those.  If we could bring in one or two midfielders in the coming days that run of games could bring 18 points and I’d imagine would leave us 4 or 5 points outside the play offs with 14 games to play.

The realist in me thinks this season is done and will now just peter out with us going through the motions and finishing as mid table fodder. The optimist in me thinks, given our upcoming games, there is still an opportunity to set us up for an exciting finish.

I hope the club don’t allow the realist in me to be right. We need to approach every game as though it is a cup final now. It is pretty much shit or bust in terms of keeping this season alive and we have to go all out to win games.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If we could bring in one or two midfielders in the coming days that run of games could bring 18 points and I’d imagine would leave us 4 or 5 points outside the play offs with 14 games to play.

The realist in me thinks this season is done and will now just peter out with us going through the motions and finishing as mid table fodder.

It'll probably be somewhere in between 18 points and mid table fodder of 6 points.  

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just don't see how we are gonna get promoted even if get to play offs. We will crumble away from home and we crumble on TV. Barring QPR I don't think we have won a televised match

in 64 years if I'm correct.....

• Like 1

There's an argument to be had that IF we made the play-offs from here then it would be on the back of a really good run. We're obviously not going to do it playing like we are. No reason why we couldn't win it if we made it. And we'd definitely be the team to avoid if we put in a run with the sort of form we'll need to show. I made the if big for a reason though ;) 

• Like 2

The play-offs aren't 100% out of the picture but given our recent poor form (and continued poor away from) we are going to struggle to get close. We need at least one box-to-box central midfielder and a left winger during the January window if we are to stand an outside chance. Otherwise I just can't see any way of us going on a great run of form with this current squad. You never know and I will never give up hope, yet I can't see us reaching the play-offs if we don't strengthen during this window. Obviously it is easier said than done to get players in during this window but we are in great need of them. Preferably before the Preston game as we really need to hit the ground running...

Edited by briggaman

74 points needed on average to make the playoffs. We currently have 35 points from 26 games.

So we need 39 more points from 20 more games. 11 wins, 6 draws and 3 losses.  Very tricky.

With Bruce we've played 15 games and got 25 points which is 1.67 points per game. 

To get 39 more points from 20 games, we need 1.95 points per game for the rest of the season. Again, very tricky, but possible if we had major reinforcements to the team.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's pretty obvious we need to improve our form if we're to make the playoffs.  That's why we're currently 13th.  The extent to which we need to improve depends on where this season's playoff group lie in the bigger picture.  Below is this century's list of 6th placed finishes and the points per game that got them there.  It's followed by what we're currently doing (heading for a 62pt finish on current PPG) and what we will need to do from this point onwards if we're to catch the average, the minimum, maximum or mode (most frequent points haul).

However, when all is said and done, I suspect a round figure of 2pts per game from here on in won't be far off the mark, if at all.

SEASON TEAM IN 6th P Pts PPG        
2015/16 Sheff Wed 46 74 1.61        
2014/15 Ipswich 46 78 1.70        
2013/14 Brighton 46 72 1.57        
2012/13 Leicester 46 68 1.48        
2011/12 Cardiff 46 75 1.63        
2010/11 Notts Forest 46 75 1.63        
2009/10 Blackpool 46 70 1.52        
2008/09 Preston 46 74 1.61        
2007/08 Watford 46 70 1.52        
2006/07 Southampton 46 75 1.63        
2005/06 C.Palace 46 75 1.63        
2004/05 Wet Spam 46 73 1.59        
2003/04 C.Palace 46 73 1.59        
2002/03 Notts Forest 46 74 1.61        
2001/02 Norwich 46 75 1.63        
2000/01 West Brom 46 74 1.61        
1999/00 Bolton 46 76 1.65        

2016/17 Villa 26 35 1.35        
  Equivalent to … 46 62 1.35   Villa require
            P Pts PPG
  Average 46 74 1.60   20 39 1.93
  Min 46 68 1.48   20 33 1.65
  Max 46 78 1.70   20 43 2.15
  Mode 46 75 1.63   20 40 2.00

We are about 1.6 pts per game under Bruce. He knows you need 2pts a game to go up. If we'd get that from here we will be very very close to playoffs. We have to win our next 2 home games.  For the players to believe. For the fans to and to encourage any signings worried we haven't got a chance. It's a massive few weeks till the end of Jan. 

And as others have said, we've a very kind schedule coming up.  Only Fulham & Norwich have an easier run over the next 4 games.  I think 6 games is too far ahead to be looking.  Things change in that space of time and teams who are easy now mightn't be in 5 or 6 games.

4082fb7591f6be4f81a76d2e614d1f22.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

74 points needed on average to make the playoffs. We currently have 35 points from 26 games.

So we need 39 more points from 20 more games. 11 wins, 6 draws and 3 losses.  Very tricky.

With Bruce we've played 15 games and got 25 points which is 1.67 points per game. 

To get 39 more points from 20 games, we need 1.95 points per game for the rest of the season. Again, very tricky, but possible if we had major reinforcements to the team.

When outlined like this, we are simply not capable.  It will involve winning, and scoring away from home. We are currently the lowest away scorers in the league with 7 ffs.  

7 hours ago, BOF said:

And as others have said, we've a very kind schedule coming up.  Only Fulham & Norwich have an easier run over the next 4 games.  I think 6 games is too far ahead to be looking.  Things change in that space of time and teams who are easy now mightn't be in 5 or 6 games.

4082fb7591f6be4f81a76d2e614d1f22.png

I can't see how the next four can be easy? Both PNE and Bristol have already turned us over this season, with Preston above us in the league.  Brentford were excellent at VP and drew.  Forest are going through bad times, but they got a draw at VP.  Plus we've just lost to Cardiff and Wolves in similar positions away from home.

In addition we have no midfield and Gabby up front. 

• Like 1

Bristol City's win tonight has left us with just Saturday's game to play before 31/1. So if we can get a win against Preston hopefully we will have reinforcements in place before we visit Brentford at the end of the month. 13 points from our next 5 games should be our target although it might seem an unlikely one to hit at the moment it is the sort of run we need to go on if we are to make that top six by the end of the season. 

• Like 1