The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

I think its beyond us for this year now. Sure would could sign a few new players, but it seems we only have 1 guy up front who knows where the back of the net is - and he might not be available for around 6 games.

I thought we would be in the play off places by now - and could hang on through ACON - As it is we are playing big time catch up with a depleted squad

15 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think Kodjia is solid enough (£13m? Hmmmm), maybe likewise Chester (overpriced though) with Jedinak as a hugely mixed bag. I actually think our best signing could turn out to be Adomah.

We spent a record for any team in the Championship ever, though. Instant clicking was never going to happen, but we're not even exciting anymore. 

We had such a poor roster 50 million had made us competitive. We need another 50 million to get promoted.

As I've said there is just too much wrong with this team for us to mount a serious chase for the play offs. I'm not saying it can't happen but in all honesty we have been pretty poor so far this season. As it stands we are a mid table team with the resources of a premier league club. Something is just not right on the pitch. The good thing is that we have improved our home form and I am hopeful we won't be in this league too long. I also think we have a good manager for the situation we are in.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

7 minutes ago, KSV said:

We had such a poor roster 50 million had made us competitive. We need another 50 million to get promoted.

I don't think we do. Another four players are needed but I wouldn't say 50 million is what it will take.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don't think we do. Another four players are needed but I wouldn't say 50 million is what it will take.

Don't forget others will strengthen as well.

3 minutes ago, KSV said:

Don't forget others will strengthen as well.

I can't see too many of them bringing in players that will improve them too much. Forget about Brighton and Newcastle but Leeds for example won't have the money to add much strength to the team. We are one of the lucky clubs that could spend a lot of money but in all honesty I don't think we need to spend no more than 20 million. It will be interesting to see how the likes of us, Norwich and Derby do after January.

If we strengthen properly, at least 2 midfielders, a striker and right back, I'd be expecting a top 6 finish, not hoping for one. It's remarkable how Bruce has managed this side and been able to continually pick up points with almost a non existent midfield. Two players to play either side of Jedinak would give us so much more than we currently have and I think our football would change as a result. 

There are eight teams battling it for spots 3-6. Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Reading, Huddersfield, Derby, Norwich, Fulham and us. We play Sheff Wed, Reading, Derby and Norwich all at home and we are capable of winning every match. 

Writing us off before Bruce has even signed one player of his own is quite ridiculous. We could be looking at 3/4 new players in the starting XI for the Wolves game. Bruce knows what it takes to get out of this division and at the moment it's obvious he doesn't rate any of our midfielders, perhaps excluding Jedinak, so I think it would be fair to assume that our current midfield will be getting an overhaul. 

I'm still very optimistic of a play-off spot. 

• Like 1

While watching every televised game this season involving the Villa I have consistently noted the Villa strikers receiving the ball with their backs to goal. Very little through balls to run onto even down the channels. For me this is something that must change if Villa are going to score enough to make the playoffs and would entail more movement from the strikers on the shoulder of the opposing defenders plus a midfielder who can actually play a through ball into space.

Remember Bobby Robson telling Shearer (who was going through a lean spell in front of goal) to at least be more side on when receiving a pass and that got Shearer scoring again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I can't see too many of them bringing in players that will improve them too much. Forget about Brighton and Newcastle but Leeds for example won't have the money to add much strength to the team. We are one of the lucky clubs that could spend a lot of money but in all honesty I don't think we need to spend no more than 20 million. It will be interesting to see how the likes of us, Norwich and Derby do after January.

Leeds will be spending £4m to sign Pontus Jansson permanently. Can't imagine them spending much more on others.

Johnstone, Jenkinson and Rhodes on loan. Lansbury £4m, Hourihane £6m, Brady £10m = a further £20m to get us promoted!

With that lot in the team we could play a 4-1-4-1 formation as follows:

---------------------------Johnstone---------------------

Jenkinson-------Chester--------Baker--------Amavi

-----------------------------Jedinak------------------------

Adomah------Hourihane-------Lansbury------Brady

------------------------------Kodjia--------------------------

That's a decent attacking line-up!

Edited by villarocker

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Agree but disagree - it didn't need £50m and the £50m wasn't spend well (value-wise).

I can't even think of a more expensive side that has got promoted from the Championship; let alone spending that on 5 or so players only.

I did the SportsPredicter a month or so ago

I was trying to be as objective as possible

Just checked it again with the Norwich loss - 1pt from 2x v Leeds & Cardiff loss

Amazed

We were 6th on GD 2 more than SheffW

So I still have hope

57 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Johnstone, Jenkinson and Rhodes on loan. Lansbury £4m, Hourihane £6m, Brady £10m = a further £20m to get us promoted!

With that lot in the team we could play a 4-1-4-1 formation as follows:

---------------------------Johnstone---------------------

Jenkinson-------Chester--------Baker--------Amavi

-----------------------------Jedinak------------------------

Adomah------Hourihane-------Lansbury------Brady

------------------------------Kodjia--------------------------

That's a decent attacking line-up!

We won't be spending 20m unless a high profile player(s) leaves for similar money