The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

Looks like a delusion of epic proportions with this abysmal management of our players. I have seen no progression of style since the honeymoon period and indeed arguably after appearing to have found more shape initially we've flown backwards into anti football tripe. Only individuals have saved us. I see no team nor competence of organisation by the manager. He may well be honest about our shitness but what will he do about it? I believe fortunate results give an inaccurate representation of Bruce's impact on this side.

But I will wait to see what he can do with a transfer window

• Like 1

It's not impossible but we just don't seem to be able to win enough games to close the gap. 

I seriously worry about next year as well. You'll have 3 incredibly wealthy teams being relegated into the league and then the best of the rest who didn't get promoted this year. 

When I look at the league and the teams up there I can't help but feel we've **** up a great chance this year. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's not impossible but we just don't seem to be able to win enough games to close the gap. 

I seriously worry about next year as well. You'll have 3 incredibly wealthy teams being relegated into the league and then the best of the rest who didn't get promoted this year. 

When I look at the league and the teams up there I can't help but feel we've **** up a great chance this year. 

Woeful summer spending spree, when you look at it.  £50m?  £60m?  Staggering for the return we've got.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Woeful summer spending spree, when you look at it.  £50m?  £60m?  Staggering for the return we've got.

Well half of it was on Kodjia ( solid purchase ) Chester ( solid purchase ) and Jedinak ( meh but okay at times ). I wouldnt' call it awful return at all. We just didn't fix the problem and that is midfield. 

• Like 4

7 points off 6th and frustrating it isn't 4 - but could have been 9 points off 6th so through luck we are still in touch. This team started with gardener, westwood, bunn, Hutton, Bacuna. That's half a team that I hope are not regular starters after january. 

• Like 1

Not good enough today. I feared we'd only draw at best once I saw Kodjia and Jedinak weren't playing.

It's no good Sheff Weds and Derby dropping points if we're only going to do the same. Seems to be a recurring issue this season...the weekends when teams above us drop points we do aswell.

Don't think it's good news if we're competing with Derby and Sheffield for just one spot as those two also have strong squads for this level. I'd rather be in a fight with Reading, Leeds and Huddersfield but all three are in great form.

Today was the perfect excuse to buy a brand new midfield and I'm sure Dr. X will oblige. Still confident we'll make it.

It's funny though, how do we suddenly have no chance :lol: . We're only one point worse off than the last round with 20 or so games to go. There's like 99% of the same chance we had after boxing day.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not worried about next year at all....Swansea and Hull are both in turmoil and in need of takeovers and Sunderland are basically us now in the prem...look at their squad, they'd need a massive overhaul as no chance someone like Defoe would stay.

I still want to go up this year though.

I just don't see it unless some kind of miracle happens in the window and that's not just with signings that's regarding losing players to the ACN too. If today's effort was anything to go by i'd be quite shocked if we aren't out of the picture for the playoffs by the time Jan has ended.

We are just not playing well enough....and that was with Kodija & co. Without him it's no surprise we didn't score today.

I know Bruce is not far off 2 points per game but we have had a run of easier fixtures and actually struggled to win those! It always feels like we scrape points rather than fully deserve them and that worries me,

I watched the Blackburn v Barcodes game today and the barcodes had 20+ attempts on goal and two disallowed goals to Blackburns 2 attempts and 1 goal! My point is You can cope with the occasional loss when you see your team playing like that, being the better team by far and just losing through bad luck, but when we get outplayed by Burton on Trent and most other teams footballing wise and then see us limply lose to the likes of Cardiff when it could have been by a much bigger margin it doesn't fill you with much hope!

Fingers crossed something happens in the window.

This result shows exactly where we are at!  There is no creativity in this "team" whatsoever and even worse no one to put the ball in the net.  For me all the strikers Bruce goes on about are utter crap except Kodgja!  Think about where we would be if he had not been signed?  Scratching about at the bottom!  Whoever gave Gardner a new four year contract needs a brain check!!!  Villa have not had a midfield worthy of its name since God knows when and Westwood is bloody hopeless as is Bacuna!  McCormack looks like his best days have passed him by!  Agbonlahor is another has been!  Hutton is workmanlike nothing more, he runs a lot and naff all else!  Amavi needs to be used a winger as he a mistake waiting to happen as a defender, Ayew lacks any consistency be it good or bad, Jedinak is just a lump and should retire his ball control and passing is woeful at best!  That leaves Grealish who needs someone to protect him from the thugs and to give more time on the ball.  Chester and Baker are fine but must be very frustrated at the ball coming back to them and having no midfield in front of them and Bunn is average Chamionship fodder!  Adomah must also be so frustrated and wonder why he bothers!  There that about sums them up!!  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Well half of it was on Kodjia ( solid purchase ) Chester ( solid purchase ) and Jedinak ( meh but okay at times ). I wouldnt' call it awful return at all. We just didn't fix the problem and that is midfield. 

I think Kodjia is solid enough (£13m? Hmmmm), maybe likewise Chester (overpriced though) with Jedinak as a hugely mixed bag. I actually think our best signing could turn out to be Adomah.

We spent a record for any team in the Championship ever, though. Instant clicking was never going to happen, but we're not even exciting anymore. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think Kodjia is solid enough (£13m? Hmmmm), maybe likewise Chester (overpriced though) with Jedinak as a hugely mixed bag. I actually think our best signing could turn out to be Adomah.

We spent a record for any team in the Championship ever, though. Instant clicking was never going to happen, but we're not even exciting anymore. 

Basically this, we didn't get value for money. Can't really fault Kodjia too much, not perfect, but clearly our best player, however as you point out, that's a massive fee for a Championship striker, you'd perhaps expect (even) more from him for that price. 

56 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Today was the perfect excuse to buy a brand new midfield and I'm sure Dr. X will oblige. Still confident we'll make it.

It's funny though, how do we suddenly have no chance :lol: . We're only one point worse off than the last round with 20 or so games to go. There's like 99% of the same chance we had after boxing day.

I agree with this, though with the caveat that we didn't have room for more than 4 or 5 losses anyway, so today does narrow the path a bit more significantly than you're making out. But no, it's not the end of all hope. 

That being said, I didn't think we were particularly likely to make it before the game today and I still don't think we're particularly likely to make it. 2 points a game was always more likely to represent a peak than an average. 

• Like 1