The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

I'd say only Amavi and possibly Chester are good enough to start in a PL team that hopes to remain in the league.

And I'm not even sure about those 2.

Obviously Amavi, Grealish and Gollini has the potential to develop into fine players and someone like Kodija and Adomah might be a competent squad option.

But should we go up the squad need a total rebuild, again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

hmm but as i said we blew money in the past and it did not help us, in fact we got relegated.

If we blow a load of money, the players again need to learn how to play with each other, understand tactics some wont have a full pre-season.

Usually when a team is promoted they would keep their core and make 5-6 additions so they can be bedded in, we do not have a core, we have Amavi, Chester, maybe Baker and Kodjia.

I just feel like we need time to clean this mess up.

But i guess a lot of fans on here are very eager.

Well said

we are all eager, but we have to temper that with realism.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

I'd say only Amavi and possibly Chester are good enough to start in a PL team that hopes to remain in the league.

Obviously Amavi, Grealish and Gollini has the potential to develop into fine players and someone like Kodija and Adomah might be a competent squad option.

Thats not really true though is it?  We have proven in various campaigns that its possible to stay up with worse squads than we have now.!

However if you want to be comfortable then you have to look further.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Thats not really true though is it?  We have proven in various campaigns that its possible to stay up with worse squads than we have now.!

However if you want to be comfortable then you have to look further.

Not really, this squad is probably a bit better than last seasons but that's it. You really need to consider the dramatic difference in level before suggesting that and even then we are hardly distinguishing ourselves in the Championship. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

I remember Alex Cropley coming in and within a few weeks other players were playing above themselves.

good players can have that effect......players you may have mentally written off in such circumstances may pleasantly surprise you.

• Like 2

What we also have to understand with blowing money is:

• The owner possibly loses interest
  • The manager loses his job

We have 2 good guys, we need them to stay with us.

I think the kind of players we need are not necessarily the ones to attract big fees

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not really, this squad is probably a bit better than last seasons but that's it. You really need to consider the dramatic difference in level before suggesting that and even then we are hardly distinguishing ourselves in the Championship. 

in addition to that, the BPL is a lot stronger than it was last season and it will continue to get stronger.

We need to have something about us, whether its athleticism, set pieces.. Something that we excel in.

Watford showing a perfect example what happens when you do not get physically involved in the game.I know I have banged this drum quite a bit about us...but I think it is paramount.

no wonder Steve Bruce has made a point of saying how important it is.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, sne said:

This is looking at the issue the wrong way, as I've said before.

If we go up, we will have won a lot of games that we haven't won now, and your opinion on some players that you don't currently rate will have changed because they will have been part of a consistently winning side. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is looking at the issue the wrong way, as I've said before.

If we go up, we will have won a lot of games that we haven't won now, and your opinion on some players that you don't currently rate will have changed because they will have been part of a consistently winning side. 

Not really, no.

If we go up it will be because we buy an entirely new midfield in January. This current squad is not good enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Despite the massive improvement in results, I can detect a bit of brittleness in confidence, still.

We have improved our ability to fight back.....but we have only just started on the road back from the abyss.

I think it will take another season.

FYI I was being sarcastic. People are generally thinking waaaay too far ahead. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Not really, no.

If we go up it will be because we buy an entirely new midfield in January. This current squad is not good enough.

Sure. But then we'll have a midfield good enough for the premier league, so we'll have less to rebuild. 

If you get a prolific striker you have a good chance of stopping up. I imagine that would be the first area Dr Tony will target as a big money striker gets the fans excited more than any other position.

I like Kodjia but it would be silly to rely on him to score goals to keep the team up...would be like thinking Gestede could effectively replace Benteke as a 20 goal a season man...

I do agree that of the current crop only likes of Chester, Amavi and possibly Ayew are good enough...likes of De Laet and Jedinak could be squad players.

One positive though we would at least come back to the league with a winning mentality in the team which evaporated over the last 6 years.

Xia to me is a much more ruthless owner then Lerner so he'd know there would need to be a lot more quality in the squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I remember Alex Cropley coming in and within a few weeks other players were playing above themselves.

good players can have that effect......players you may have mentally written off in such circumstances may pleasantly surprise you.

I only have to hear that mans name- what a player and what I'd give for him now- sorry !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sne said:

Not really, no.

You are so right - much as I don't like to admit it- we are clearly no where near good enough to go up with this current squad IMO 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

You are so right - much as I don't like to admit it- we are clearly no where near good enough to go up with this current squad IMO 

It demonstrably is 'near' is it not? 

I think we need to improve in the window, but we're hardly a million miles away. 

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I do agree that of the current crop only likes of Chester, Amavi and possibly Ayew are good enough...likes of De Laet and Jedinak could be squad players.

I'd include Grealish in that list following another few months of maturing, on and off the pitch that is. 

I like Adomah too. Somebody compared him to Townsend or Lennon, I think that's about right. I think he could live with the pace at a lower mid table Premier League club. 

Ultimately, a large proportion of their 'ability' boils down to how well they are managed, coached and how they gel as a unit. We won't really know how good a few of these lads are until we fill the humongous gap in central midfield. What we do know is that Westwood et al aren't good enough. We've already seen that.

I'm not too worried right now anyway, who knows when we will make it back. I expect with Tony's ambition it won't be a decade, but it might not be this season or next. We could be talking about a completely new set of players by then, and manager.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

If we make it to the playoffs and get promoted, i will be terrified for the season ahead in the BPL.

I guarantee they would do better than our last season in Premier League ;)

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Same with Dean Saunders.

• Like 2