Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Actually felt sorry for the person when listening to his interview just then. can’t be nice to have thousands of people shouting abuse at you.

But it’s all part of the game. Really he should walk for his own sake.  Hopefully for all concerned the announcement is made in the morning. 

To be fair if I was genuinely upset about something like that I would probably resign and sit on the multi millions I have already earned. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

i just don't get it (as in Bruce's response).

Surely that decision is Bruce's to make.

Its part of the job description as a football manager!

The manager will name a penalty taker and maybe a backup. The players don't run over to check what to do if those people aren't on the pitch anymore, they just get on with it.

Just listened to the post match interview on WM. He mentioned a couple of times about the crowds reaction towards him, and witnessing some unpleasant scenes in the ground tonight. Looks like he realises how much the crowd has turned against him, and it seems to me like he’s hurting from it. Hearing that interview, I feel a bit sorry for the bloke. He knows he’s going. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

i just don't get it (as in Bruce's response).

Surely that decision is Bruce's to make.

Its part of the job description as a football manager!

Nah, that sounds like tactics to me. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The manager will name a penalty taker and maybe a backup. The players don't run over to check what to do if those people aren't on the pitch anymore, they just get on with it.

from memory they had a mothers meeting with whelan, bolasie and captain hutton...

in reality kodjia, abraham or hourihane take that penalty if they are on the pitch, his subs were daft, no one to counter, no one for set pieces, pure defence 

• Like 1

Thing is I have heard managers get a much bigger grilling from the home fans than Bruce did tonight - a couple of rounds of "we want Bruce out" and that was it - nothing compared to what Mcleish and Houllier got  .,......Bruce was saying "what I have witnessed tonight" - Soory he has to be tougher than that IMO.

For the record I like the bloke, Last season he had winning the bulk of our home games, and even now we aren't whipping boys. Sadly he hasn't delivered promotion, and whilst there could be a freakish up turn of results - I have to say that looks unlikely. If its the end I would like to thank him for his efforts - it hasn't quite worked for him here - it happens - lets have a bit of dignity from all sides.

• Like 3

You'd have thought after just scoring Bolaise would've gone straight for the ball. Can only think he didn't fancy it for whatever reason. If not him then Jack. Guess Whelan thought he was one of the senior guys and so decided to step up but really a last minute penalty isn't part of his skillset.

These things happen though when a team lacks direction and we certainly do atm.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just listened to the post match interview on WM. He mentioned a couple of times about the crowds reaction towards him, and witnessing some unpleasant scenes in the ground tonight. Looks like he realises how much the crowd has turned against him, and it seems to me like he’s hurting from it. Hearing that interview, I feel a bit sorry for the bloke. He knows he’s going. 

I'd feel a lot more sympathy for him if he hadn't started laying in to some of the fans and coming over all billy big bollocks when he's nicked the odd win after poor runs of form.

He started burning the bridge, he's not going to be able to walk back over it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm sure you will have seen MANY people comment over the course of the season that they just wanted him gone before it got ugly.

His digs at the fans hastened the turn on himself!

Just now, hippo said:

Thing is I have heard managers get a much bigger grilling from the home fans than Bruce did tonight - a couple of rounds of "we want Bruce out" and that was it - nothing compared to what Mcleish and Houllier got  .,......Bruce was saying "what I have witnessed tonight" - Soory he has to be tougher than that IMO.

For the record I like the bloke, Last season he had winning the bulk of our home games, and even now we aren't whipping boys. Sadly he hasn't delivered promotion, and whilst there could be a freakish up turn of results - I have to say that looks unlikely. If its the end I would like to thank him for his efforts - it hasn't quite worked for him here - it happens - lets have a bit of dignity from all sides.

It was the whole stadium singing it which probably shocked him rather than the minority in the Holte End he thinks regularly have it in for him. I agree it was very similar to the Bolton game when McLeish got huge stick.

Said it above but I'd be amazed if he manages us again  at VP, tonight was his last home game.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'd feel a lot more sympathy for him if he hadn't started laying in to some of the fans and coming over all billy big bollocks when he's nicked the odd win after poor runs of form.

He started burning the bridge, he's not going to be able to walk back over it.

THIS x 15 trillion.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

if i was manager i would make sure i had plans for every eventuality, including an order for at least 10 penalty takers depending on who was on the pitch. 

Before every match surely someone watches every penalty taken against the opposing goalkeeper (and the back-up keeper) and then plans specific penalty takers for that specific match/goalkeeper. 

With lots of back-up plans.

plan for everything - red cards, changes in subs by opposition, etc.    there should be books worth of tactical decisions written about every opposition team before every match. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

You'd have thought after just scoring Bolaise would've gone straight for the ball. Can only think he didn't fancy it for whatever reason. If not him then Jack. Guess Whelan thought he was one of the senior guys and so decided to step up but really a last minute penalty isn't part of his skillset.

These things happen though when a team lacks direction and we certainly do atm.

I think Whelan grabbed the ball and no one took it off him .....saying "hang on Glenn - 1 goal in 7 years ? - gimme that ball"

Just now, ender4 said:

if i was manager i would make sure i had plans for every eventually, including an order for at least 10 penalty takers depending on who was on the pitch. 

Before every match surely someone watches every penalty taken against the opposing goalkeeper (and the back-up keeper) and then plan specific penalty takers for that specific match/goalkeeper. 

with lots of back-up plans.

plan for everything - red cards, changes in subs by opposition, etc.    there should be books worth of tactical decisions written about every opposition team before every match. 

I think you overestimate the capacity of your typical thick as shit footballer to recall instructions. :lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Actually felt sorry for the person when listening to his interview just then. can’t be nice to have thousands of people shouting abuse at you.

But it’s all part of the game. Really he should walk for his own sake.  Hopefully for all concerned the announcement is made in the morning. 

**** him!

He gets paid millions and if he can’t take a few thousand chanting Bruce out, and rightly so as he is doing an awful job. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

• Like 2

Â