Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

The owners are, I think, taking a long term view. If they don’t feel the right man is currently available, or that the infrastructure isn’t yet in place then they won’t do a quick fix. For me this is encouraging, no matter how impatient I feel. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

The owners are, I think, taking a long term view. If they don’t feel the right man is currently available, or that the infrastructure isn’t yet in place then they won’t do a quick fix. For me this is encouraging, no matter how impatient I feel. 

Have to agree with you Dave.

If it means we have to wait till say, October for the right man to be available before dispensing of Bruce then I would wait.

I just worry about our season in that time of wait.

Henry is available, Ranieri is available?

Or could it be a case that we can't seem to attract anyone decent and that is why they are currently sticking with Bruce.

But above all it is frustrating either way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Did you honestly expect him to be knee jerked out of the door?

I'd really worry about our owners if that was the outcome!

Knee Jerked !!! He's been consistently crap since day 1. How much longer should this guy get ? 

I'd imagine that Bruce will be given until at least January to get this squad performing. Then if we are there or thereabouts, which is unlikely, I think he will get until the end of the season. This will give the new owners time to identify a new manager should Bruce miss his targets. A manager that can take this club forward.

20 minutes ago, Sadken79 said:

Knee Jerked !!! He's been consistently crap since day 1. How much longer should this guy get ? 

Yes knee jerked, if he had won the game the majority would not be calling for him to lose his job. 

Whether or not he loses his job is not the question, but it has to be done at the right time.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

This whole situation is depressing. I feel like we'll never progress as long as he's here.

Yet we've progressed every season  he's been here. We've had a bad few games let's wait till after Christmas before we all write off not going up. 

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

This whole situation is depressing. I feel like we'll never progress as long as he's here.

Yet we've progressed every season  he's been here. We've had a bad few games let's wait till after Christmas before we all write off not going up. 

16 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

progressed yes, progressed sufficiently, No. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

It’s Steve Bruce I can guarantee he won’t take us up!

I am concerned most of all about the way Bruce has gone about the defence and the options.

As I've said in the other thread it shouldn't take this long to sort the mess out. If I had one thing to say to bruce it would be to get Terry in, because at the moment he is the best option available and surely everyone must see that??

But now it looks like Terry isn't even coming if the media is rite and if that's the case then it really all does lie on bruce this whole mess that we are in.

Steve tried to either force the Terry situation and it didn't work or he messed up big time and made some rookie managing mistakes, which are highly unacceptable.

I tried to stand by bruce when those were against, now I feel myself that he should be gone if he doesn't bring Terry back to villa, feel he should be gone anyway, but at least if he got Terry in, that there maybe a chance of going up, if not then I say it's time bruce for you to go.

I can't stand by and see our beloved villa have a manager who makes mistakes like this, one of the worst mistakes I think I have ever seen which has no doubt cost our club dearly this season.

We will see as it all unfolds anyway, we are either going to be a laughing stock at the end of the season or Steve Bruce is going to pull something spectacular off that none of us can seem to see coming, I can't see it being the latter.

23 hours ago, Cjay said:

Personally i think until Bruce decides what sort of side he wants to be you will fall short promotion wise.

As established before nobody is entirely certain what style you play. 

Warnock for all his faults has a way, he makes signings for that style and thats it, its not pretty but it works, the signings may not be exciting but they suit what he needs.

Pulis the same, only have to look at Boro and there business this summer. He makes signings to fit his style.

Wolves last summer with the quality was a bit different , but they fit the style Nuno wanted to play. 

But yours, do they fit? 

If your squad and signings dont fit the style it doesnt matter how good they are imo.

El Ghazi, Grealish, McGinn etc, good ball players, probably want the ball on the ground as much as possible. 

But then you look at your defence, are they good ball playing defenders? If so great, if not then they will hoof whenever pressured. 

Kodjia and Abraham are both big tall players, able to handle a hoof, but surely its better to pick a style and stick, that way your players know whats expected and can train accordingly.

Imo you have a bit of a contradiction player wise, ball players mixed with less able and thats why it makes it difficult to pinpoint your style, because it fluctuates depending on who is in possession or on the pitch.

If Bruce had picked a style 2 years ago and signed players accordingly youd be promoted by now imo.

Huh? You’ve used Cardiff as an example of our lack of style when they’re probably the closest you’ll get to how we’ll play. They used Zahoure, Mendez Laing, & Hoilett and got at teams with fast transitioning from defence to attack using the pace and skill of the wide players/strikers to get at the opposition defence.

We’ll attempt to do the same by moving the ball quickly to Abraham/Kodjia, Bolasie, and El Ghazi. We’ll also have Grealish and McGinn who can play a bit. Grealish will be used to draw players out of position by using his skill to create pockets of space and to win free kicks in dangerous areas.

McGinn is probably like Joe Ralls. A box to box type of player who’s also good at delivering set pieces (which is something Cardiff used to good effect as will we).

And you’ve made a note about ball playing centre halves? Well Cardiff hardly had them in Bamba and Manga. You wouldn’t say those two are known for their passing qualities.

The big difference between us this season and Cardiff last season is that they probably press more than we do (we tend to sit off too often) and we won’t be as solid in defence. That’s a HUGE failing of our manager; he should be ashamed that he, a former title winning central defender, now has an under strengthened and dilapidated defence. This will ultimately cost him his job.

Whether we click like Cardiff did is one thing, but to criticise our lack of style whilst using Cardiff as an example of a particular style is totally bizarre. 

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

progressed yes, progressed sufficiently, No. 

This is it!

Progression versus resources ratio is lopsided to say it politely.

ANY half decent manager could have had this "progression" which is pointed to.

How difficult was it really to "progress" with Aston Villa in the Championship with a better squad than most of it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

We heard this last September, October, November, December, January, February, March and April.

It all went a bit quiet in May. ?

Â