Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Bruce or no Bruce we are not getting promoted with one recognised centre half in the squad. 

I dont care who manages us that just can’t happen. I have no idea who the new owners have trusted and left in charge of ensuring the squad can push for promotion but whoever it was they have messed up. If they think they have backed the manager enough with the loan players we have bought in (as their interview suggests) then again they will be disappointed.

Bruce will eventually be sacked. This job and challenge is too big for him. But whoever comes in will probably need several seasons to get this squad back to where we belong. At the moment it’s the most disjointed squad you can get. 

I can honestly see the Championship becoming our home for a very long time.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

The handling of the defence has shown me a different light....I am quite surprised in how he has dealt with that so badly.

Yeah, me too. As not exactly a fan, I was still stunned at the level of apparent, well, almost negligence. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, me too. As not exactly a fan, I was still stunned at the level of apparent, well, almost negligence. 

More than almost. 46 game season and we have how many central defenders to push for promotion with? 2? One of whom is getting played at right back when we have 4 of those?

WTAF?

EDIT: The thing everyone is scared to mention, 2 injuries, Chester and Tuanzebe. Than what?

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

More than almost. 46 game season and we have how many central defenders to push for promotion with? 2? One of whom is getting played at right back when we have 4 of those?

WTAF?

EDIT: The thing everyone is scared to mention, 2 injuries, Chester and Tuanzebe. Than what?

You not feeling the Bree/Jedi partnership?

What could possibly go wrong...

• Haha 4

we are really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this centre half issue.

I can see both arguments regarding John Terry.

I can see FFP implications and the looming lack of parachute money.

We really have stuffed ourselves.

I think some real transparent soul searching need to happen at B6, regarding the path we are on.....Like an internal inquiry.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The squad reminds me of the one in the first season. Lots of talent but severely lacking in certain areas. The different being we had no midfield back then. 

judging by the torrid comments on our present 2..... at International level, McGinn and Hourihane , we might be in for that again

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, Its was a lack of strikers last season, now its the defence....what is actually going on at B6.

We had a bit of this under Paul Lambert. At Norwich he had a team who scored lots but conceded lots too. He started here in similar vein, but then changed to a more defensive style. It seems we attract one dimensional managers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If Terry has a number of 'offers' then he won't come cheap. We absolutely should not be paying big wages to 38 year olds, the owners are spot on if they've blocked this move.

But I've been told he loves Aston Villa and would only come here for Bruce just as the other players we've signed have.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But I've been told he loves Aston Villa and would only come here for Bruce just as the other players we've signed have.

Oh yeah that old chestnut. TBH it's clear to me that Bruce had a small role in all of our transfer this window.

From the time that our new owners had a meeting with Bruce he had just over a month to sort four priority positions:

Goalkeeper

Centre Back

Left Back

Striker

He didn't sign any one he regards as a usable CB, or a left back (although he came close), he didn't sign a reliable keeper, and he took a risky gamble on getting Abrahams which actually worked for him in squeaky bum time. We also picked up three midfielders and two bench quality keepers during this time.

I'm not blaming Bruce for this failure, because I haven't a clue what was happening behind the scenes and who was actually making decisions, but it's left us with an embarrassingly unbalanced team.

Bruce is left with only one option, which is to play planned attacking football. We'll have to score two or three goals in every game to pick up points this season. If we continue with Bruce's current 'do your best lads' football .... We're stuffed!

Incredibly niave of anyone to think Bruce doesn’t know he needs another centre back or two, I don’t care what you think of the man or his management but at least recognise no manager would choose to go into a season with one central defender. 

Now I don’t know what’s going on with the Jedinak situation as you would assume from pre-season that we were preparing to only play one centre back for the coming season, I can only fathom that Bruce knows Terry will eventually re-sign and is just trying to get the new boys in the team to gel in this formation awaiting Terrys arrival hence the ditching of the 3 at the back pre-season tactic. 

13 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Incredibly niave of anyone to think Bruce doesn’t know he needs another centre back or two, I don’t care what you think of the man or his management but at least recognise no manager would choose to go into a season with one central defender. 

Now I don’t know what’s going on with the Jedinak situation as you would assume from pre-season that we were preparing to only play one centre back for the coming season, I can only fathom that Bruce knows Terry will eventually re-sign and is just trying to get the new boys in the team to gel in this formation awaiting Terrys arrival hence the ditching of the 3 at the back pre-season tactic. 

However he lets Elphick go out on loan, a totally brainless decision. Elphick isn't great, but steady at this level, and at this point in time would be a welcomed option for us to have. Bruce is just utterly brainless in everything he does.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

However he lets Elphick go out on loan, a totally brainless decision. Elphick isn't great, but steady at this level, and at this point in time would be a welcomed option for us to have. Bruce is just utterly brainless in everything he does.

I get that and I am sure Bruce gets that, so I would hazard a guess there were mitigating circumstances that we are are not privileged too, otherwise why would he even have picked him in the first few games? 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Haha 2

Â