Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, baldivisvilla said:

Time to reshare this article from 2011, good analysis,  but the comments are even more enlightening. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

There's a comment in there that has struck home, "he ran them (Sunderland) like a pub team". Absolutely nailed it for me. 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2018 at 22:24, Cliffy Biro said:

This is such nonsense though, Liverpools strength is not that they are deluded its actually one of their worst qualities and why they are so hated. Theres a difference between dreaming big and being totally deluded. I get the point you are trying to make but its a very naive one. 

They're not hated as much as Man Utd. And I doubt, very much , they give a Tom tit about who hates them.

I wouldn't call them deluded either, of course they still see themselves as a massive club, and when you've won more European cups than any other British team and numerous other titles, I really don't see how thinking their a big club can be considered delusional. 

The reason they are hated by so many, is, I guess, sheer envy.

2 hours ago, Skills said:

ive refused to visit this thread but have reached a point where i need to vent

f*ck the burton game, f*ck the late equaliser v Reading and f*ck the Sheffield game... how can you leave us with 1 recognised CD?  you have completely f*cked the transfer window and continue to play players out of position because of this.  For this alone you should be shot!

Probably the most restrained post, I've read.

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

They're not hated as much as Man Utd. And I doubt, very much , they give a Tom tit about who hates them.

I wouldn't call them deluded either, of course they still see themselves as a massive club, and when you've won more European cups than any other British team and numerous other titles, I really don't see how thinking their a big club can be considered delusional. 

The reason they are hated by so many, is, I guess, sheer envy.

If you were born after 1990, you may wonder what all the fuss is about Liverpool.

The reason LFC fans are "hated" is they are stuck in the past and think they have some entitlement, and don't shut up about it. But like time, football grinds on and the present is the only relevance. Its a pity Liverpool are on the brink of something. I just hope Watford do a Leicester and gives us some ammunition against LFC fans!

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

this comment in particular:

Last weekend we started with a right back playing at left back and a centre half playing at right back.

And seven years later it is still happening. Jesus wept!

• Like 3

On the one hand, I'd be surprised if he goes now.  Purslow has only just got here so hasn't had much time to find a replacement, it's 'only one loss' in the league, Bolasie and Abraham haven't played yet.

On the other hand I think he should.  I've been pretty much on the fence.  Wasn't excited about him coming in, but could see the reasons.  Prior to this season he has done a lot of good - morale was rebuilt, he pulled us back from doing a Sunderland and last season we were 'there or thereabouts'.  Not good enough, but close.  But it's become increasingly clear he is (like Big Sam) a 12-18 month manager.  There was no long term rebuild - it was all in for last season.  Where he really lost me was starting to replace players he bought in - never a thought or attempt to improve those we have - it's always buy someone else.  And we're not in a position to buy significantly better players where we are so it's just piling in more of virtually the same.  Too much churn.

My feeling is that this season the new owners told him that they want a more attacking mindset in the club - no more setting up not to lose - which is more befitting our status and financial position in this league.  He persuaded them that he could deliver this and they've backed him with players to do that (for the front half of the pitch).  He's tried / trying to do this but is so far outside his comfort zone that it's going tits up.  Bruce and NSWE will know his time is running out, but as per my first point, he will probably get the next run of games though for me there's a huge risk that the season will be gone by then.

Its likely like last season he will accidentaly hit a run of form due to a few injurys and so on, Elmo , Tunzabe ,Jedinnak getting hurt would probably force him to play players in their correct position but expect them to be straight back in when back, th gus has no clue he picks his mates if your not his guy your screwed 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Do we think he will get the bullet today?

No, and thats not to say he shouldnt.  Purslow wont get let Bruce go until he has someone to come in.  Similar to Benitez and Hudson

In saying that Purslow may wants to make a big statement  showing that he is in charge and does the needful.  He will also be given alot of plus points by fans if he does which i'm sure wont be lost on him.  Good time to do it given he has 2 weeks to get a new man in as well.  From what i read Purslow is very ruthless. 

I was stood behind Brucey in the queue at Big Johns about 2 weeks ago and remember telling him that we were playing the best football I've seen in years. 

I was hammered .(Thought he was Ancelotti)

This one's on me guys.?

nobody gets sacked after one (league) defeat   ...regardless of previous seasons ineptness the owners will give him a few more defeats 

Edited by tonyh29
added League for clarity
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

nobody gets sacked after one defeat   ...regardless of previous seasons ineptness the owners will give him a few more defeats 

Hes had 2 defeats and drawing with  teams in relegation fight are as good as a defeat to a team looking promotion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

nobody gets sacked after one defeat   ...regardless of previous seasons ineptness the owners will give him a few more defeats 

Agree. This season will be wasted I am afraid. The guy should have gone the day the new owners came in. 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Hes had 2 defeats and drawing with  teams in relegation fight are as good as a defeat to a team looking promotion.

nobody up top is going to count the Burton game in a  mickey mouse tournament

Â