Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

A very sensible and accurately observed post.

Unfortunately the honest answer is that as other posters have said we don't have a system, we just have a mantra .... "Put your boots on and roll your sleeves up" .... Embarrassingly for us, I'm not joking!

Makes you wonder what goes on in training lol.

They must do something.

Unless its all kicking and heading stuff.

1 hour ago, Dick said:

I've not spoken to a fan of any other team who knows, let alone ours. Even some who were supporting him suggested he just needed better players.

Thats ridiculous.

I doubt any manager in the championship has had more funds over the last 2 years and its still going on now.

How would he cope if and when you do havw to tighten your belts?

If you dont go up at some point you will need to cut back on spending, billionaire owners or not FFP will bite eventually.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Thats ridiculous.

I doubt any manager in the championship has had more funds over the last 2 years and its still going on now.

If you dont go up at some point you will need to cut back on spending, billionaire owners or not FFP will bite eventually.

Exactly.

I'd imagine almost all the managers in the league would kill to have had the resources and quality of players Bruce has had to work with. 

He should have gone when the new owners come in, as you've said this season is absolutely huge in terms of FFP implications if we don't go up and Bruce has shown no sign of improvement or even learning lessons.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think many clubs have defined styles to be honest - possibly a broad characteristic, but not really a style. Brentford maybe the only one? Possibly Leeds now too.

If you’re going broad, then we tend to get the ball wide and hit crosses. The main problem is that this doesn’t get the best out of our team and we’d be more effective working the ball through rather than over IMO.

Think most clubs have some sort of common style.

Us and Brentford as you say.

Boro, keep it tight at the back, long balls forward, fight for second balls and try ans force as many set pieces as possible in the final 3rd. 

Millwall, keep it solid at the back, look for quick breaks mainly with long diagonal balls towards the front 2, try picking up the 2nd balls.

Derbyare trying to replicate the old Jose Chelsea side that Lampard thrived under. 

Most teams have some sort of style.

Very few stick to it all the time but most have 1 main way of playing imo.

I'm surprised you dont try and copy Brentford tbh, you have that sort of player.

15 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Thats shocking to me.

As a keen football fan i can describe the style of many of our Championship rivals, not because I'm a smartarse or know more then other people.

But because i have eyes, i have seen them play.

If you as a Season ticket holder who presumably watches Villa most weeks cant describe your own style then thats poor on Bruces part.

The worst part about it mate is that i go with my 14yr old son. Most weeks he raises the exact the same points you raised in your analysis.

In the same way that i couldn't answer your questions, i can't answer those of my lads. 

I just sit there thinking, if a 14yr old kid can see this, why can't Bruce or his coaches see it? 

Now thats probably disingenuous of me to suggest that guys that have spent many years in the professional game don't see it, I've lost count of amount of post match interviews where Bruce has pointed out the issues.

I don't think he is a good enough manager  to change it, and doesn't realise thats its his outdated management style that has created it. 

Steve Bruce has had an embarrassment of riches the past 2 seasons and has managed to become an embarresment himself. Spectacular.

If he doesn't go next week I'll be very disappointed and surprised. Not seen too many people defending him any more and the players seem to have lost faith in him. 

5 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Thats ridiculous.

Yes, he's had the funds, but he has seemed to buy players and then not be able to use them effectively, which goes back to the issue about what style he's trying to adopt.

It often seems to be a case of naming a team of decent individuals and hoping for the best, and the stuff about playing people out of position, though sometimes forced by injury, looks haphazard rather than a plan.  It's not Dutch total football, that's for sure.

It seems to be the need to cut back on spending that prompted trying to get rid of Adomah - the papers are running a story saying they wanted to cut his wages.

We are playing out the consequences of an all-or-nothing gamble on promotion last year, and the new owners and CE are going to have to navigate this carefully.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

everything we do is so slow and laboured.....They came out of the blocks like a whirlwind....and took the game to us, we didn't respond and bingo.

We are having opposition players with inferior reputations imposing their will on us with a tentative response.....it has to stop.

The defence is a major issue, but its everywhere on the pitch.

Absolutely!

I blame the manager!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bruce never gets questioned by the media. In the past when the pressure is on he has digs at the fans. Yesterday he started to talk about his past successes in response to fans chanting ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’.

Real petty.

Does seem local media are reluctant to push managers, can understand that somewhat.

They have to maintain a decent relationship with the club and such.

Surprised national papers arent a bit more forceful?

"Steve, how would you describe the style of play that you are aiming for".

Its bot a difficult question.

17 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Makes you wonder what goes on in training lol.

They must do something.

Unless its all kicking and heading stuff.

I think you’ll find it’s a lot more complex than that. Sometimes it’s kicking and heading, sometimes it’s heading and kicking. Then there’s the running around cones and sometimes we have the guess who’s the cone and guess who’s the striker competition. Then on Fridays we have the race to the chip shop. And that doesn’t even cover the putting your boots on training  

He knows what he’s doing you know. He doesn’t go on about it, but he’s been promoted four, count ‘em, four times!,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I see Saturday as a culmination of all his 'hard work' here. A totally spineless display from a team that has no philosophy, no identity, simply no clue what to do with the football. As a result he's going to leave us in a mess, there's a rebuild job to be done for sure, the next manager is going to have to teach this lot how to play, how to pass and move and to actually instil confidence in them. 

To top it off, Bruce's post match comments are the most disgraceful I've heard in a long time. Smacks of someone who is totally clueless and then has the gull to have a dig at the fans. In fact watching him and the nonsensical bullshit that came out of his month you have to wonder whether he's hitting the booze. He seems totally lost. The CEO has to act swiftly and get rid of him before any chance of a promotion push falls out of sight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Does seem local media are reluctant to push managers, can understand that somewhat.

They have to maintain a decent relationship with the club and such.

Surprised national papers arent a bit more forceful?

"Steve, how would you describe the style of play that you are aiming for".

Its bot a difficult question.

He seemingly maintains a good relationship with all media that renders him immune to them criticising him 

Put it this way if we have got rid of him and appointed Henry and played and lost as we did yesterday you can be sure the media would be tearing Henry apart and criticising the board for letting an experienced manager in Bruce go who would never have allowed such a performance because ''he knows the league ''  ' ''he has been promoted 4 times '' 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I see Saturday as a culmination of all his 'hard work' here. A totally spineless display from a team that has no philosophy, no identity, simply no clue what to do with the football. As a result he's going to leave us in a mess, there's a rebuild job to be done for sure, the next manager is going to have to teach this lot how to play, how to pass and move and to actually instil confidence in them. 

To top it off, Bruce's post match comments are the most disgraceful I've heard in a long time. Smacks of someone who is totally clueless and then has the gull to have a dig at the fans. In fact watching him and the nonsensical bullshit that came out of his month you have to wonder whether he's hitting the booze. He seems totally lost. The CEO has to act swiftly and get rid of him before any chance of a promotion push falls out of sight.

I agree with 90% of this.

Where I have a different view is that I think 5ge players have shown they CAN play, CAN pass and move. Imagine how good they’d be if they were coached it as well !

• Like 3

Well as the Bruce in/out debate seems to be going round in circles, irrelevant of whether or not you want him out or would like him to stay, what does everyone think is likely to happen over the next few weeks now we have a CEO in place? 

Do we think he will stay or go? Again, forget about what you want, what do you think will happen?

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Where I have a different view is that I think 5ge players have shown they CAN play, CAN pass and move. Imagine how good they’d be if they were coached it as well !

Yes it’s not just Bruce who needs to go but his coaching team too - let’s start afresh with a new  manager who brings his own backroom team .

shocking that Calderwood and Bruce were both defenders yet the defence is a total shambles -shows how good JT actually was with organisation too.

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I said a few days ago Terry that Wolves and Bristol City were 2 of the best performances I've seen down VP for maybe 5 or 6 years. There is no doubt that these lads can do it, but they don't do it anywhere near consistently enough. 

Different people will have different views about how much of that is down to the players, and how much of that is down to Bruce. One thing that i don't think is debatable is that this lot should be doing better. 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Yes it’s not just Bruce who needs to go but his coaching team too - let’s start afresh with a new  manager who brings his own backroom team .

shocking that Calderwood and Bruce were both defenders yet the defence is a total shambles -shows how good JT actually was with organisation too.

I think that’s highly relevant....further to the dialogue earlier today, even if the owners have a guy in mind, he in turn will need a coaching team. One more reason I don’t foresee any change for some time.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I said a few days ago Terry that Wolves and Bristol City were 2 of the best performances I've seen down VP for maybe 5 or 6 years. There is no doubt that these lads can do it, but they don't do it anywhere near consistently enough. 

Different people will have different views about how much of that is down to the players, and how much of that is down to Bruce. One thing that i don't think is debatable is that this lot should be doing better. 

I agree, an£ that differentpeople will have different views.

Mine is the skills are there, but it happens by luck, rather than design.

• Like 1

Â