Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I don’t care if we don’t have a replacement lined up. Have someone from the youth set up take charge for however long it takes to find the right people. In terms of performances, it can’t get any worse than yesterday’s and Bruce needs to go now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Oh i agree that we shouldn't be making knee jerk reactions without thorough assessment, the one caveat to that is that i don't  believe such an important decision like that of CEO has been decided overnight. Whilst it was only announced on Thursday, i would be suprised if CP has known about this appointment for weeks. So it's not behond the realms of possibility to suggest that thorough assessment has already been completed.  

So i think the decision will probably already have been made. If the decision is replace Bruce, I'd expect a replacement to named imminently. If he is still here in 3/4 weeks, i think I'd possibly be leaning towards the assumption that he has the boards backing. 

I’m certain they are going to replace Bruce. But it might not be possible to do it immediately. It’s difficukt mid season. So if he’s still here, I don’t think it means he is backed.

Which is a different way of saying what I’ve said all day I guess !

Just now, Michelsen said:

I don’t care if we don’t have a replacement lined up. Have someone from the youth set up take charge for however long it takes to find the right people. In terms of performances, it can’t get any worse than yesterday’s and Bruce needs to go now. 

Hmmm....... I recall many thinking that of Mcleish, then Lambert, then...etc etc ?

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Hmmm....... I recall many thinking that of Mcleish, then Lambert, then...etc etc ?

That’s not what I meant. This squad in this league can’t put on a worse performance than what we saw yesterday. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

What’s the point? No-one is a “fan of Bruce”. We’re all Villa fans. We want the best for the club, not a manager. Pathetic post. 

There are plenty of Bruce fans around who don't want a change of manager I'm afraid. A fight broke out in the away fans over him! They seemingly would rather wait and be successful with Bruce than take action and be successful quicker. They either can't see it'll never happen or don't want to.

Dunno how Bruce misses their online posts when he's looking round the internet for fan complaints he can moan about.

It's beyond frustrating now as we're on the cusp of wasting another season. Even more so for people who've said it's been obvious he's the wrong man for over a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't feel that the board are in any hurry to bury Bruce.

I think they've got a longer term plan and I'd imagine it includes the prospect of having to be in this division for one, two or however many seasons it takes. The problem they're having with that patient approach is that Bruce has a shovel and he keeps digging; no matter what else happens, no matter how much patience or faith there is in the boardroom, the dressing room or in the stands, if he keeps digging with poor selections, poor tactical decisions and abject football, eventually the hole will be too deep for any circumstance. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

There are plenty of Bruce fans around who don't want a change of manager I'm afraid. A fight broke out in the away fans over him! They seemingly would rather wait and be successful with Bruce than take action and be successful quicker. They either can't see it'll never happen or don't want to.

Dunno how Bruce misses their online posts when he's looking round the internet for fan complaints he can moan about.

It's beyond frustrating now as we're on the cusp of wasting another season. Even more so for people who've said it's been obvious he's the wrong man for over a year.

The main sentiment wasn’t between “ keep” or “sack”, but whether to sack now, and whether to sack regardless of available replacements.

Mind you one of the fights was indeed between a guy who wanted him out now, and one who said we have to give him a season (!).

37 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

After watching this team over the last two years I can safely say that we are not getting promoted under Bruce. Why prolong it as it makes going up this year harder for the next manager?! Pull the plaster off quick and try to get a more long term approach and appointment in place ASAP. 

I understand what you mean. I just think the owners will give him at least one/two more games... they had the chance to bin him off and get their own man in, and give the new bloke the transfer kitty, but they chose not to. 

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't feel that the board are in any hurry to bury Bruce.

I think they've got a longer term plan and I'd imagine it includes the prospect of having to be in this division for one, two or however many seasons it takes. The problem they're having with that patient approach is that Bruce has a shovel and he keeps digging; no matter what else happens, no matter how much patience or faith there is in the boardroom, the dressing room or in the stands, if he keeps digging with poor selections, poor tactical decisions and abject football, eventually the hole will be too deep for any circumstance. 

Nothing about the way we held on to Grealish and moved aggressively in the transfer and loan market suggests to me that NSWE see us down here for two or three seasons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

Nothing about the way we held on to Grealish and moved aggressively in the transfer and loan market suggests to me that NSWE see us down here for two or three seasons.

There's something in that, but I also think they're realistic enough to know that having bought a club on the verge of complete collapse late in the summer, getting us up in a single season was going to be a massive task.

I think it still is, but for me, and it's an opinion that might well be a mile off target, the retention of Bruce was more a signal of their intention to let this season be one of rebuild and discovery rather than a serious promotion tilt. I still think that's the case, but I think Bruce has already blown his audition in terms of being the man to lead that attempt and might be blowing the caretaker task he's been handed.

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

we have two former managers serving as coaches, surely Calderwood and Agnew couldn't do a worse job right now?

Nah it's all or nothing for me. They may not do a worse job but I can't really see them doing a better one either. Will just be more of the same and I'd rather we replaced everyone at the same time with a new management setup. Bring in a manager who has a team that he wants to work with.

Plus the owners would get so much flak from the media for not having a plan in place.

Would still love it to happen tomorrow though.

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

we have two former managers serving as coaches, surely Calderwood and Agnew couldn't do a worse job right now?

The fact both failed as managers suggests they would be no better - needs a clean sweep - I think the owners will have better options up their sleeve than Calderwood or Agnew , both of those should join Bruce in leaving . 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

The fact both failed as managers suggests they would be no better - needs a clean sweep - I think the owners will have better options up their sleeve than Calderwood or Agnew , both of those should join Bruce in leaving . 

If I was in charge, I would make Agnew interim and go ahead and pull the plug on Bruce.   But alas, I am not in charge.  

Those that are, thought in August it would be better to stick with him.  I think they have changed their mind, but are holding on to find a long term option.  

57 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I think it’s more to do with the fact that it’s a Sunday.

It's usually a Sunday after a game. Doesn't seem to make a difference for previous managers supported or ditched. 

11 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

If I was in charge, I would make Agnew interim and go ahead and pull the plug on Bruce.   But alas, I am not in charge.  

Those that are, thought in August it would be better to stick with him.  I think they have changed their mind, but are holding on to find a long term option.  

yeah i did mean as an interim solution until we get someone

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's something in that, but I also think they're realistic enough to know that having bought a club on the verge of complete collapse late in the summer, getting us up in a single season was going to be a massive task.

I think it still is, but for me, and it's an opinion that might well be a mile off target, the retention of Bruce was more a signal of their intention to let this season be one of rebuild and discovery rather than a serious promotion tilt. I still think that's the case, but I think Bruce has already blown his audition in terms of being the man to lead that attempt and might be blowing the caretaker task he's been handed.

Disagree slightly mate. They have no experience at all in English football, i don't see the retention of Bruce as an intention to let this season be a rebuild, more an acknowledgement of their lack of experience in this field and a willingness seak guidance from a CEO better placed to make footballing decisions. 

Even though they aren't football men, they ate business men. The money we have spent since relegation, relative to the competition, and the fact that half our squad are loans, so no long term planning won't be lost on them. 

I don't thereof see the retention of Bruce in the short term as any sort of indicator that they are taking a long term championship approach. 

Â