Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I’m genuinely crestfallen he’s still here, I was so confident that would be the end of him. So disappointed 

It looks like were going to continue to close our eyes and pray it somehow falls into place.

He just needs another preseason.

14 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

So basically just hope.    And the list of those that stagnated or clearly declined is much longer than the list that “arguably” improved. terry? Improved under Bruce.  That’s your counter? Teflon it is.  

The line that we played some great football last year really riles me. We didn't play great when it mattered, did we ?

• Like 2

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

The line that we played some great football last year really riles me. We didn't play great when it mattered, did we ?

It's true to an extent, but how true is it? 9 or 10 games in the whole season. It really was the exception and not the rule.

we're 5 points off second as it stands. not a million miles, but we're winless in 5 games and look shit and clueless all over again. The responsibility for that I think has to be with Bruce surely? He doesn't deserve the name calling and all the rest of it, but we really should be in a better position now than we are. If we weren't going to loan in central defenders, then we should be promoting from the u23s. If he thinks Jedinak is too slow for the midfield then he should drop him, he's clearly not helping us a great deal int eh middle of the defence. Not good at all at the mo. 

• Like 2

My fear is that this is essentially his "last chance", which means either one of two things will happen:

- We either have to waste another few weeks and lose further ground in the promotion race before he's gone

Or

- We do what we did last September and get a few wins but with Bruce obviously not learning from the same mistakes he's been making for years

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, av1 said:

It says it all. The worrying thing about Bruce for me is that the weaknesses in our team was meant to be his strength.

We all knew when he took over that football wasn't going to be great, that he probably wasn't the most exciting choice, But those of us that supported his appointment at least knew/thought we'd get fight, which is exactly what we had lacked for the preceding 4/5yrs. 

The big sell was his promotion record, like Warnock at Cardiff we all thought he would he would build a squad that was stronger than the sum of its parts that would kick and bully its way to promotion.

As you say, the very opposite is true and the team is much weaker than its parts.

And whilst there are quality players in the squad, we also have guys like Elmo, Hourihane, Taylor, and Lansbury who look to be scared of their own shadows, weak, weak players. The scottish cafu chants i think probably started as a pretty ironic bit of fun but have quickly become a genuine affection for a player that was on the scrap not long ago, and why? Because he's one of the very few that looks as though he gives a sh#t, and as fans we expect that as a minimum. 

This was meant to be Bruces strength wasn't it? 

I could except the sh#t football if i saw fight every single week, but we aren't even getting that. 

Its the main reason for me having a change of heart.

I genuinely don't like changing managers, i think it creates too much disruption and transition.

The other thing is, I like to know who is coming in, before i get excited.

but i don't think we can go on like this.....lets be honest with ourselves, its not one game, its too many.

as you quite rightly say, his biggest strength, is our teams biggest weakness.

its all very concerning imo.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

To be honest I remember one game where you could argue we played great football and that was against a team that was dead on their feet. 

For a lot of the games we won I would  say we were solid, efficient and effective. Not great football but I was happy with it as it got the results. That includes the Wolves game.

18 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

No, we didn't play enough great football......teams that go up automatically, have consistency.

we sometimes don't know what villa team will turn up.

that falls in the pidgeon hole of not good enough.

If we get ripped apart by Blackburn, he'll be gone.  If we skate a draw or narrowly lose to them and do the same with Rotherham, he'll be gone.

My fear is that we'll pick up 4-6 points instead, because the broken clock that is "Bruceball" is right twice a day, and we'll be stuck with him for several more months.

45 minutes ago, romavillan said:

we're 5 points off relegation as it stands. not a million miles, but we're winless in 5 games and look shit and clueless all over again. 

Fixed it for you.... #bruxit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mantis said:

My fear is that this is essentially his "last chance", which means either one of two things will happen:

- We either have waste another few weeks and lose further ground in the promotion race before he's gone

Or

- We do what we did last September and get a few wins but with Bruce obviously not learning from the same mistakes he's been making for years

Yup.

This is where our owners show their worth I guess. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yup.

I don't see our new owners tolerating mediocrity.....i also think if they see a lack of competitive edge, they will be vexed....as we all are.

However, I would hope they will move or take action, when they believe the time to be right for the club.

That may not dovetail with what we think on here.....but they see the bigger picture of when the right replacement is available or likely to be available.....they also will be aware of his possible popularity within the club and the media/ industry.....all things to be considered.

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yup.

Bruce should have gone early last season when it was clear he wasn't going to deliver. Failure to act swiftly this time around will result in yet another lost season. They simply have to act now.

• Like 3

Well so much for my He'll be gone by page 2160 guess. This is probably the only ideal time during a season to change your manager. They've got time to settle in, work with some of the players and we can't have that many away on international duty surely.

Absolutely no point in waiting 3 or 4 more games, before you know it it's Xmas and the window will be opening. I have nothing against Bruce but it's not working, it's time for a change and we can't afford to spend another season in this bloody league

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce should have gone early last season when it was clear he wasn't going to deliver. Failure to act swiftly this time around will result in yet another lost season. They simply have to act now.

There's really no better time than now. Two week break, the gap is 5 points and can't afford to get any bigger, 40 games for the new manager to get us promoted etc. Has to be this week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There's really no better time than now. Two week break, the gap is 5 points and can't afford to get any bigger, 40 games for the new manager to get us promoted etc. Has to be this week.

Yep, seem to remember having the same debate this time last year!

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

It's true to an extent, but how true is it? 9 or 10 games in the whole season. It really was the exception and not the rule.

we're 5 points off second as it stands. not a million miles, but we're winless in 5 games and look shit and clueless all over again. The responsibility for that I think has to be with Bruce surely? He doesn't deserve the name calling and all the rest of it, but we really should be in a better position now than we are. If we weren't going to loan in central defenders, then we should be promoting from the u23s. If he thinks Jedinak is too slow for the midfield then he should drop him, he's clearly not helping us a great deal int eh middle of the defence. Not good at all at the mo. 

I've never resorted to name - calling, that's not me. His football has always been my main concern, and I think that concern has been proven correct, sadly, because, believe it or not, I'd have been happy to have been proven wrong.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

Â