Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just read the article. He is still making out we over achieved last season. He must really believe that we did. 

He what????

**** sake. If he honestly.believes that then he has to go.

6 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

I never wanted Bruce, I hate his "style" I hate the football, results haven't been good enough to justify his "brand" of football. But I do not think we are in the right place to fire him and hire someone that wants to change the style of play (unless we are allowed to spend cash). We are stuck with so many players, that we just aren't able to add to the club, so now is not the right time to implement a better and new style, as we simply don't have the players or the optione to sign players for it. Sadly, I would stick with Bruce, as he has proven himself good at anti football, but I would seriously limit what he could sign, short term contracts only and also inform him that his rolling contract is finished next season (if that is possible to do). Thierry Henry is also a serious gamble, can't see him working successfully with Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak and Co. can imagine him likiing players with more flair and creativity. 

This is from someone that has wanted Bruce out the second we got him, have always hated him as a manager, and will always continue to do so. 

I think it would be fair to say that any manager worth a salary would prefer flair and creativity over Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak, and co.   But I also think that MANY managers could integrate those into a team with some footballing ability better than Bruce has. 

6 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I think it would be fair to say that any manager worth a salary would prefer flair and creativity over Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak, and co.   But I also think that MANY managers could integrate those into a team with some footballing ability better than Bruce has. 

Houllier tried do same thing and Dunne and Collins were better on ball than them 3 and it never worked

You need a full pre-season to implement a change of style

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Bruce could have a hundred preseasons and we wouldn't see a change of style.

Thst is certainly 10000000% true but argument was about replacing him atbthis stage of season

The argument seems to be that Bruce should stay because it’s too close to the start of the season to make a change. . I understand the argument for that. We had big problems when MON walked out, vindictively in my opinion. The main problem is all the decent managers are in place and reluctant to jump ship once they’ve signed players and made personal commitments etc. But we are in a unique situation having just swapped owners and of course circumstances. If a change of manager has been planned behind the scenes and work has been done on achieving that, then that is different to being dumped on by MON back then. 

Making a change in a few weeks time if we start like last season is more of an issue, being relatively unplanned. You would think decent managers won’t be anymore or less available in a few weeks time than they are now. Who we get is of course a different issue regardless of timing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Im no Bruce fan but main reason to keep him is that he is the first manager in a long time to unite the dressing room

Yeah I suppose, just a shame he couldn't unite us on the pitch with better football.

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The argument seems to be that Bruce should stay because it’s too close to the start of the season to make a change. . I understand the argument for that. We had big problems when MON walked out, vindictively in my opinion. The main problem is all the decent managers are in place and reluctant to jump ship once they’ve signed players and made personal commitments etc. But we are in a unique situation having just swapped owners and of course circumstances. If a change of manager has been planned behind the scenes and work has been done on achieving that, then that is different to being dumped on by MON back then. 

Making a change in a few weeks time if we start like last season is more of an issue, being relatively unplanned. You would think decent managers won’t be anymore or less available in a few weeks time than they are now. Who we get is of course a different issue regardless of timing. 

Great article Dave and agree with you.

Now is no better time to change managers.

I think if we are, I wouldn't want Henry knowing that Rafa Benithez is only a £6m clause away?

He was only staying at Newcastle cause of this takeover saga which looks to have dried up, yet ours has started completion stages so to speak.

Just my 2 euros worth.

• Like 3

The arguments abotu stability and too close to the start fo the season will look pretty sketchy if we have a shit start again. Then if he needs to go and we have to get someone in, they will have no preseason, no matter how short to sort anything out without there being a game every 3 days.

A new manager will need time to look at the squad. Bruce has shown his commitment to the club and put aside personal grief to try to get us up. Ultimately he didn't hit the promotion target and the decision for our new owners is should they stick or twist by appointing a new man and hoping that he can hit the ground running? It looks a bit 50/50 currently, we will soon know.

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Almost sounds like he knows his days are probably numbered. Taking it with dignity. Fair play. I’m sure the few million compensation would soften any blow of being sacked if it’s to happen. 

People keep citing this money thing - isn’t he on a rolling contract?

Â