Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is there this clamour for the chairman to make a statement about Bruce?

If Bruce is staying, which I'm fairly sure will happen, why would Xia say anything?

It's probably business as usual at Villa once everybody has had a couple of weeks off. Just because we're not spoonfed information every day doesn't mean Bruce is sat there twiddling his thumbs not knowing if he's in a job or not.

I think it's because football is like no other sport / business that I know in so much that it touches so many people - you personally may not need your daily fix of all things Aston Villa - but given the speculation and decidedly average job - Bruce has done ( imo ) I can fully understand why so many people want to know what's going on  - maybe some people might be considering how to fund their season ticket - or what to do with their spare time should the club decide to stick with Bruce 

• Like 2

My big fear was that failure to get promoted would lead to serious long term damage. Bruce's failure with the advantages he had, now seem like they cause just that  

Sticking with him last summer is now looking stupid.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My big fear was that failure to get promoted would lead to serious long term damage. Bruce's failure with the advantages he had, now seem like they cause just that  

Not just Bruce to blame for this fiasco - the appointment of rdm was ludicrous  as were many signings - they are all to blame, Bruce maybe less to blame than others .

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

Not just Bruce to blame for this fiasco - the appointment of rdm was ludicrous  as were many signings - they are all to blame, Bruce maybe less to blame than others .

He is way down the list. But he was brought in to do a job, he was given vast resources to do it and failed. That failure will have a huge impact on the club

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He is way down the list. But he was brought in to do a job, he was given vast resources to do it and failed. That failure will have a huge impact on the club

No question he will go too in my opinion 

Edited by Eastie

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Don't buy this myself. We've done the debate but apart from Hogan where has he spent any money. Again free transfers and wages are of course to be factored, but getting a CB like Terry in for 2.5 million isn't so bad...if we'd bought one that would be a budget transfer fee with wages needed on top.

So our outlay was minimal last summer. The last of the vast resources went with Di Matteo. He unarguably blew £25 million on RMC, Tshibola and gollini. 

Bruce's mistake was Hogan. Lansbury maybe too as his impact has been minimal. 

I'm just not sure what Bruce was meant to do...we were about 21st when he took over. He certainly turned us around and he certainly hasn't had vast resources. I'm not saying he's had no resources – certainly he was backed at times but, again, we were an absolute state when he turned up. His outlay must be net negative more or less too. 

I'm no super Bruce fan but I think he did a decent job in many respects. I, like everyone, have a 'what-if'-we'd-have-plucked-a-Wagner-out-of-obscurity daydream. It could easily have gone the other, more Sunderland-esque way though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Don't buy this myself. We've done the debate but apart from Hogan where has he spent any money. Again free transfers and wages are of course to be factored, but getting a CB like Terry in for 2.5 million isn't so bad...if we'd bought one that would be a budget transfer fee with wages needed on top.

So our outlay was minimal last summer. The last of the vast resources went with Di Matteo. He unarguably blew £25 million on RMC, Tshibola and gollini. 

I'm just not sure what Bruce was meant to do...we were about 21st when he took over. He certainly turned us around and he certainly hasn't had vast resources. I'm not saying he's had no resources – certainly he was backed at times but, again, we were an absolute state when he turned up. His outlay must be net negative more or less too. 

I'm no super Bruce fan but I think he did a decent job in many respects. I, like everyone, have a 'what-if'-we'd-have-plucked-a-Wagner-out-of-obscurity daydream. It could easily have gone the other, more Sunderland-esque way though.

I don't associate resources with just transfer fees. Its everything, money, wages, inherited players, appeal of villa in this league. 

Vast resources. Inherited grealish, jedinak, hutton, chester, adomah & kodjia. Able to pay wages to bring whelan, terry, johnstone & snodgrass to the club. Was given good money to spend during his first window. 

He has had vast resources at his disposal. He should have done better. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Eastie said:

No question he will go too in my opinion 

Yep, he won’t stick around if the club is in the state it looks like.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Sherlock says no sh*t.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

According to transfermarkt( which I think underestimates if anything)  +23 million euro on Hogan Bree Thor Hourihane Lansbury. Besides Hourihane all questionable buys and only Hourihane rarely used. Bruce is a tactics dinosaur and bought players that were doing well for respective clubs. Hogan has barely worked because doesn't fit Bruce's systems. 40k a month on 4 and half year deal in Championship is criminal 

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

According to transfermarkt( which I think underestimates if anything)  +23 million euro on Hogan Bree Thor Hourihane Lansbury. Besides Hourihane all questionable buys and only Hourihane rarely used. Bruce is a tactics dinosaur and bought players that were doing well for respective clubs. Hogan has barely worked because doesn't fit Bruce's systems. 40k a month on 4 and half year deal in Championship is criminal 

Hogan - 10.5 Million - Hasn't worked out although we don't play to suit his style of play

Bree - 3.5 Million - One for the future, bargain price and wil hopefully push on this season

Thor - 2 Million - Bargain, hasn't played as much as he should have but could be key next season. Also will be a sellable asset if required after the World Cup

Hourihane - 3.5 Million - Bargain, scored 11 goals this season enough said.

Lansbury - 3.4 Million - Bargain, hasn't played as much as he should have but could be key next season.

Not bad business at all 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Hogan - 10.5 Million - Hasn't worked out although we don't play to suit his style of play

Bree - 3.5 Million - One for the future, bargain price and wil hopefully push on this season

Thor - 2 Million - Bargain, hasn't played as much as he should have but could be key next season. Also will be a sellable asset if required after the World Cup

Hourihane - 3.5 Million - Bargain, scored 11 goals this season enough said.

Lansbury - 3.4 Million - Bargain, hasn't played as much as he should have but could be key next season.

Not bad business at all 

I'd say they've all retained their value apart from Hogan - it's not the worst record on players all in all. Plus Hogan still has a chance here.

Â