Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Dick said:

He has said "We have to stop this mass hysteria"

He can absolutely **** OFF.

He wanted to manage a big club with big expectations, but now he seems to want big expectations with no pressure when they are not being met? Can't have your cake and eat it sunshine.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, terrytini said:

That's interesting.

How do you feel about all those other people who made no mention of the score in this game, and DIDN'T use it as part of their arguments in this thread, and instead used arguments based on the 50 plus games that have preceeded it ? Arguments which, whether you agree with them or not, are not altered one tiny little bit by this result ?

I feel nothing towards those people who didn’t predict a result. Do I have to express my feelings for each and every post on here? I must have missed that in the forum rules. 

We we all have our different opinions on here, but I’m one of the people that says ‘IF’ we win/lose/draw then I think Bruce should Stay/Go/Get one more game, as opposed to those who laugh at anyone who suggests that we could have won, prior to today’s game.

Would you like another stupid face? :ph34r: It goes well with your stupid post.

Wasn't it yet more dross today? Sounded terrible on the radio commentary and seemed like we only improved after Grealish replaced Onomah, which is a bit of luck for Bruce. 

Fair play to the team for winning - I didn't expect anything from that game - but, the football still needs to improve if we are to have any chance of getting out of this league.

49 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Must have missed your prediction of a win. 

Oh no, people predicted the wrong result in football, never happens. 

If you think a predicted loss in one game was the main point being made from those who have lost faith in the manager then you've clearly not been bothered to read what's been said. 

By your own admission, if we lose the next game you want him sacked, yet gloat on here after 1 win. 

Laughably predictable as well. 

Have a day off mate. Did I say we ‘would’ win? No I didn’t.

It’s as simple as this: I was one of the people who said ‘if’ we win then XYZ, whereas some people guffawed at that suggestion and said ‘We will not win’, so I thought it’d be nice for me to drop in and have a little poke at that.

Steve Bruce has revealed Tommy Elphick wouldn’t have played at Middlesbrough had it not been for a sickness bug wiping out his Riverside plans. "I’m delighted for some of them who have been on the fringes, particularly Tommy Elphick who wasn’t playing yesterday. Sickness overnight has brought him into the team."

Jedinak would have obviously dropped into defence again despite being a terrible CB

One report of his interview here.

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce hopes his side's 1-0 win at Middlesbrough "shuts up" a few supporters and proves the club are not spiralling into a crisis.

Villa arrived in the Riverside off the back of a five-game winless run which has seen their own promotion push falter - dropping from fourth to ninth during a bleak December.

But in a game of few chances, Robert Snodgrass' header handed Villa a priceless win and meant it was a losing start for new Boro boss Tony Pulis , who was in the Riverside dugout for the first time.

The result moves Villa three points above Boro heading into the New Year, and Bruce felt his side "stood up" to a physical bombardment.

"We talk about (having a) blip, we had a bad 45 minutes against Brentford on Boxing Day and all of a sudden we're spiralling into a crisis," Bruce said.

"It was only a game-and-a-half ago when we were 2-0 up against Sheffield United, then we made a couple of mistakes, but we have to stop this mass hysteria - otherwise none of us will get anywhere.
Middlesbrough manager Tony Pulis (left) and Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce at the Riverside Stadium

"You just have to look at the Championship results to see how difficult a league this is. I know we're Aston Villa and there's big expectation, but all of a sudden there's a crisis again.

"With the players we're missing - three centre forwards and two central midfielders, two full-backs and two centre-backs - and we've come up to Boro and kept a clean sheet and played well on the day.

"I hope it shuts a few people up again as it becomes very annoying that we're just one week away from a crisis. We have to get on with the job in hand."

It certainly didn't go to script as the Pulis reign began on Teesside with a setback, and for Bruce - securing a first-ever away win against his managerial counterpart - it came at a vital time as the vultures began to circle around Villa Park.

After the win that keeps Villa's promotion hopes alive, Bruce admitted he felt his side were relatively comfortable in the North-east, and a little flash of quality proved the difference.

"We were against a very good side with Tony (arriving) and the effect that's had," Bruce added. "They've won two on the bounce and you look at the Boro teamsheet and you think 'wow, they've got good players all over the pitch'.

"They're physically big, they ask you questions but we stood up to them today and played well. That bit of quality from Adomah and Snoddy got us the winner.
Middlesbrough's Adama Traore on the attack at the Riverside Stadium

"We were comfortable, I wouldn't say we dominated but I can't remember Sam (Johnstone) making a save which is good to see defensively. We were rock solid.

"We've got problems going forward but there's kids coming through who are the future of this football club. We had four 19 year olds on the bench today which has got to be a first.

"So in that respect we need a bit of luck in the new year, we need the club to go forward and the supporters to get behind us. The thousands who came today witnessed what we're all about.

"I still believe I'm the right one to take us forward, I've been in (the game) a long time and we're moving along. We're level on points with sixth, six or seven points off automatic promotion, so what's the problem?
Will Tony Pulis lead Boro to promotion this season?

"That's the beauty of the Championship. Who'd have thought Bristol City, Sheffield United and Cardiff would be in the top six heading into the New Year? Not many - but that's what we're up against.

"Just because we're Aston Villa, it doesn't give us the divine right to walk through the league - just like Boro who were in the Premier League last year. It doesn't give you a divine right - it doesn't work like that."

I thought we’d pick up two points from Boro & Bristol, so delighted with a win. 

Obviously this will buy Bruce more time. I’ve said before I don’t mind a bit of bite from the manager to defend himself. 

But he should be a bit more savvy and wait until we’ve properly turned the corner before getting carried away. One sneaky win doesn’t outweigh the four poor results achieved prior to today.

More wins please, Steve.

• Like 2

Just watched his interview..

Interesting that he has a lot to say when we win. 

My feelings towards the entire situation is that we will see where we are once this season is over.  If we do not get promoted ( which i hope does not happen) then I will be expecting a 5 minute plus post match interview from him explaining why.

32 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Ecstatic about the win.

Didn't see the game, but from the sounds of it, we we're poor again, which shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone. 

Bruce should still be on borrowed time. Fail to win Bristol at home ought to be the final nail in the coffin, but I fear he's bought himself more time with this result.

I was hoping for a loss tonight, I even bet against us, and it sickens me to admit this, but that's what Bruceball has done to me.

Don't worry, you're not alone.

• Thanks 1

He's an absolute car crash.

What stick is he even getting? Fans boo at half-time when we're down, and full time when we've lost. And when Glen Whelan stops an attack by pinging the ball 60 yards backwards when we're on the edge of the opponent's area. He should see what McLeish got towards the end. In fact, I hope he does, then he can have a moan about hysterics. Pompous bell.

Clearly doesn't know what he's doing. Dropping Grealish for Onomah ffs. Fluked it again with Onomah injury.

Great win.

Get out of my club you bad bad manager.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I feel nothing towards those people who didn’t predict a result. Do I have to express my feelings for each and every post on here? I must have missed that in the forum rules. 

We we all have our different opinions on here, but I’m one of the people that says ‘IF’ we win/lose/draw then I think Bruce should Stay/Go/Get one more game, as opposed to those who laugh at anyone who suggests that we could have won, prior to today’s game.

Would you like another stupid face? :ph34r: It goes well with your stupid post.

Well this reply of yours definitely wasn’t stupid, ( I wouldn’t say if it was since calling someone stupid is against the rules I’ve been told) and definitely not just indecipherable gobbledegook. Definitely not. No.

The point about the arguments of those who base their views on a long view is clearly lost on you, and for that I can only apologise.

I see from your OP and the second paragraph of this reply that you, are more comfortable considering just  one day at a time. 

Your original post on the other hand made a specific, really really mature point about you “ taking the piss” out of fans in what appeared to be a ludicrously juvenile way. Being sure that you weren’t a juvenile I just genuinely wanted to better understand how you balanced that against the reality. Now I see the pursuit of an explanation of that was, and would be, futile.

Anyway, enjoy that jolly good laugh you were having in your OP. Hilarious.

Â