Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Combined with the crap football and team selections over the last month too let's not forget.

I remember a few weeks back (can’t remember the exact game) but the footballing experts on here went full bed wetting before one game because of his team selection. We won.

Please don’t convince yourself that you know more than him about team selection.

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

He mentioned hysteria, I think we’d all agree there’s been plenty of that these last couple of weeks so not sure what the issue is.

You must have a very odd understanding of "hysteria".  Perhaps you conflate it with reasoned and justified criticism, or perhaps you just want to defend the manager by repeating his term, however ludicrously inappropriate.

The criticism is well founded.  For Bruce to ridicule it as hysteria is laughable.

But the question for me is whay his line managers, or the PR department, or his agent, or maybe his friends and family, don't counsel him to avoid these self-harming gaffes.  It's unnecessary, entirely avoidable, destructive, and pointless.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

You must have a very odd understanding of "hysteria".  Perhaps you conflate it with reasoned and justified criticism, or perhaps you just want to defend the manager by repeating his term, however ludicrously inappropriate.

The criticism is well founded.  For Bruce to ridicule it as hysteria is laughable.

But the question for me is whay his line managers, or the PR department, or his agent, or maybe his friends and family, don't counsel him to avoid these self-harming gaffes.  It's unnecessary, entirely avoidable, destructive, and pointless.

I think it points to him not being here after this season, regardless of what happens. 

• Like 1

Lets be honest though, thats the most impressive away win after bruce

Boro are a bloody good side and under pulis are going to be hard to beat esp at home. Despite the annoying comments i am happy we won and kept a clean sheet. Well done bruce and the boys

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think it points to him not being here after this season, regardless of what happens. 

Yes, I think you're right.  It comes across as self-justification in the face of what he sees as undeserved criticism, regardless of the damage caused to future relationships - which might suggest he thinks there won't be a future relationship to worry about.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Boro are a bloody good side and under pulis are going to be hard to beat esp at home. Despite the annoying comments i am happy we won and kept a clean sheet. Well done bruce and the boys

Maybe more owed to whelan's immune system than Bruce and his tactics

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I remember a few weeks back (can’t remember the exact game) but the footballing experts on here went full bed wetting before one game because of his team selection. We won.

Please don’t convince yourself that you know more than him about team selection.

Saturday 25th Nov was the last time we won a game so a wee bit more than a few weeks ago.

I don't need no convincing, but I have been following Villa long enough to know that you don't play midfielders in defence or midfielders in attack when you have established defenders and strikers that where available on the bench!

I don't need convincing, It is evident to a blind person the shambles that we have witnessed since that last result you refer to - and that's just his selections.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't need no convincing, but I have been following Villa long enough to know that you don't play midfielders in defence or midfielders in attack when you have established defenders and strikers that where available on the bench!

I don't need convincing, It is evident to a blind person the shambles that we have witnessed since that last result you refer to - and that's just his selections.

Ok, so Bruce sees his players every day, he knows how well they’ve trained, if they have any niggles, illnesses, disciplinary records, or have asked to be given a break. He knows the opposition, he has a team of staff around him who know our players and the opposition players in detail to confide in and discuss options and tactics... but you know better :)

MAYBE it’s not a simple as you make out.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Maybe more owed to whelan's immune system than Bruce and his tactics

Whelan is shit i agree but i think thats harsh on the players. They deserve credit for that performance. Wasnt pretty to watch but it was a impressive defensive and battling performance

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think this one can go down to alot of credit for Agnew having only just arrived from there a week or so ago?

He would know how to have combatted their game plan and will know that squad inside out.

Monday evening is going to be very very interesting indeed!

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

Oh give me a break. Almost all our wins have come from lineups that were to some some (or great) extent forced upon him, due to injuries and whatnot. I'll be utterly amazed if the day ever comes when his primal "own" team selection wins a game comfortably.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I’ve no idea why a good result here and there causes people to alter their views so easily ?

Not so sure about people “altering their views” but have you considered that, after a really decent and significant victory  - an unexpected one too - some people (for the purposes of this post let’s call them “Aston Villa fans” as opposed to “obesssive critics of Steve Bruce”) might just want to come on here and enjoy the moment and simply celebrate a win. When they get here all they get is the usual droning on about how useless Steve Bruce is. Maybe he is useless- I’m not arrogant enough to pass that judgement on an extremely experienced and successful manager - but, for this evening only, he’s done OK so let’s just enjoy it, no?

Sorry, I know I am in the wrong thread and no one is allowed to say anything remotely positive about Steve Bruce here but, since I was here, I thought I should just mention it. :D

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hysteria?

The owner tweeted it was a 'disaster month'

The CEO tweeted they had cancelled all holiday leave. 

Seems like the important people at the club felt the same. 

I really wish I could observe the conversation where Stevie baby tells them they are being hysterical.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Oh give me a break. Almost all our wins have come from lineups that were to some some (or great) extent force upon him, due to injuries and whatnot. I'll be utterly amazed if the day ever comes when his primal "own" team selection wins a game comfortably.

So you’re making out that when he wins despite having to reshuffle his pack is a bad thing?

Every single game he has won was down to this? :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ok, so Bruce sees his players every day, he knows how well they’ve trained, if they have any niggles, illnesses, disciplinary records, or have asked to be given a break. He knows the opposition, he has a team of staff around him who know our players and the opposition players in detail to confide in and discuss options and tactics... but you know better :)

We could make this argument for every single manager in the game.

Which effectively means no fan should every discuss, question, or voice any opinion regarding the management of their team.

Movie Directors, actors and actresses know much more about the film industry than I do, but I still know a shit movie when I see one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

You're right, of course.

We don't see what happens on the training ground.

We would never have realised the qualities of Samba as a striker, or Jedinak as a central defender, or why it makes sense to play two slow, negative defensive midfielders with very limited passing ability together, or why we should play a small, mobile striker and then use tactics required for a big, hold-the-ball-up striker, or drop players who are in form and replace them with others, or, oooh, any number of things.

Best we know our place, and not question them that's above us.  Right?

• Like 3

Â