Next Villa Manager

Richard

Just now, Zatman said:

not by much though, just shows shit managers can look OK job in Championship

With some rounding...

Bruce - 138 games, 74 wins = 54%

Lambert - 79 games, 25 wins = 44%

Keane - 127 games, 55 wins = 43%

10% is a fair old chunk of games, it's 4-5 a season at this level. More important than that to me is his consistency at getting teams promoted from the Championship, 4 times via various methods. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

or Birmingham when he was consistently outspending DOL and I dont think ever finished above him

As a matter of interest...

Aston Villa;

03/04 - £6.8m net (6th)

04/05 - £4.6m net (10th)

05/06 - £8.6m net (16th)

Birmingham city;

03/04 - £12.4m net (10th)

04/05 - £6.4m net (12th)

05/06 - £0.0m net (18th)

Let's face it, neither club were spending as they should. It's no great surprise that Birmingham went down the season they didn't invest either. 

41 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's better than both. 

But surely we should be looking at more than a short term fix? I don't  want Bruce in just to take us up - stagnate, get the bird - then the bullet and we start over, do we not need a cohesive strategy for the next five seasons?  This will end in tears - Mark my words.

Can't say any of the runners inspire me much, even the ones with supposed 'championship' nous. The only one that perhaps intrigues me is Dyche because it would be interesting to see what he could do with the right backing. But I suppose thats irrelevant because it will probably be Bruce. 

Steve Bruce is short termism (if that's a word). He has never won anything and never will. If he becomes manager then it is just a countdown to when the 'Next Manager' thread will be opened again. It is about time this club looked to the future and appointed someone other than the only available quick fix bore of a manager.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I understand the importance of getting back in to the top flight no matter what and then looking at that point looking at a longer term plan.  We can not spend any longer than necessary in this league.

I totally agree and the cohesive plan that I hope the club can manage to conjure - still includes promotion ASAP - but is then sustainable thereafter, not a quick fix promotion, which all goes horribly wrong again. This job is already starting to look a bit like a poison chalice - hence the need for a longer term plan.

14 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I totally agree and the cohesive plan that I hope the club can manage to conjure - still includes promotion ASAP - but is then sustainable thereafter, not a quick fix promotion, which all goes horribly wrong again. This job is already starting to look a bit like a poison chalice - hence the need for a longer term plan.

I'm thinking of Southampton and Lecistor. Once the manangers that got them promoted did what they had to do they were replaced with managers to take them to next level. Id expect something similar. 

• Like 1

Can anyone see anyone other than Bruce?

EDIT- Not saying i want him, just cant see where we are going to get someone good before wolves.

Edited by Nigel

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As a matter of interest...

Aston Villa;

03/04 - £6.8m net (6th)

04/05 - £4.6m net (10th)

05/06 - £8.6m net (16th)

Birmingham city;

03/04 - £12.4m net (10th)

04/05 - £6.4m net (12th)

05/06 - £0.0m net (18th)

Let's face it, neither club were spending as they should. It's no great surprise that Birmingham went down the season they didn't invest either. 

Which season did they beat us 3-0 at home? Wasn't Bruce manager at time?

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

But surely we should be looking at more than a short term fix? I don't  want Bruce in just to take us up - stagnate, get the bird - then the bullet and we start over, do we not need a cohesive strategy for the next five seasons?  This will end in tears - Mark my words.

But you do want to go up?

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which season did they beat us 3-0 at home? Wasn't Bruce manager at time?

Yes. That was 02/03 following his first promotion with them. They finished 13th that season and above us, for the record. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes. That was 02/03 following his first promotion with them. They finished 13th that season and above us, for the record. 

They were horrible times as a villa fan. the scum going mental at our place, is something i will never forget